Yurts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yurts!

Any of you guys ever seen one of the modern yurts? How about tiny houses? I'm kinda looking into this. Pretty sure at this point in life, I'll never have children, or if I do hitch up with a woman with kids, the kids won't be youngsters -- point being, I think I can safely say I'll never have anyone to support financially or provide a home for but myself.

Looking to simplify and pare down. Not that I live anything near a complicated life now -- I just mean I want to be out where it's quiet, live a simple rustic and maybe semi-off-grid life.

So yes, basically I'm preparing for life as the hermit I've always wanted to be.

Enough land for the dwelling and a garden, maybe a chicken coop, someplace close enough to some public land and fishing. I can take early retirement in five years. I guess in part I'm just suffering from the same "2020 Fatigue" that many others are, and this is just how it comes out in me -- but I really think this might be the way to go. Maybe even before I retire. What do you guys think, about the dwellings or otherwise?

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    Any of you guys ever seen one of the modern yurts? How about tiny houses? I'm kinda looking into this. Pretty sure at this point in life, I'll never have children, or if I do hitch up with a woman with kids, the kids won't be youngsters -- point being, I think I can safely say I'll never have anyone to support financially or provide a home for but myself.

Looking to simplify and pare down. Not that I live anything near a complicated life now -- I just mean I want to be out where it's quiet, live a simple rustic and maybe semi-off-grid life.

So yes, basically I'm preparing for life as the hermit I've always wanted to be.

Enough land for the dwelling and a garden, maybe a chicken coop, someplace close enough to some public land and fishing. I can take early retirement in five years. I guess in part I'm just suffering from the same "2020 Fatigue" that many others are, and this is just how it comes out in me -- but I really think this might be the way to go. Maybe even before I retire. What do you guys think, about the dwellings or otherwise?
    We had a 4 season camp in the Adirondacks. Slept 6. Oil furnace with attached wood burner. We were on town electric, well water, septic. Right on a lake and close to public hunting. Burned about 6 to 8 chords per winter. Our out building was a long over size width garage with a overhead door on each end. We could drive the snow machines in, park by the wood heater and have a beer and drive out the other end. About a 250gal propane tank for the auto start generator in the walk in cellar that would keep the oil burner going. No neighbors in sight or hearing range, but in 15 minutes we could be to a couple of nice restaurants, a fully supplied hardware store and snow machine dealer. The house was built by a home builder for himself. All the extra's, select lumber, etc..

Comment

I have seen U-tube of people using shipping container for a camp. Came out very nice.

Comment

MattM37,
        Those "Tiny Homes" on wheels I would NOT touch.

A yurt isca good option.
        As jimbo stated, lots of folksxsre going bv with thr "shipping container" theme.
        They come in 8×10 up to 8×40.
        The 40's run about $2k unfinished.
        I bought a 8×20 I use for storage on the farm.
        If you're single, one of those big storage buildings Lowe's offers can be converted pretty easily.

Are you any kind of carpenter?

EGADS! I can't type going down the road!

One thing about a yurt.
        Heat from a fire radiates in a circle from it's source.
        In a yurt, you won't have a "cold corner"!
        Last edited by FirstBubba; 02-24-2021, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Nope. I like the idea of the house I have, with a yard, garage, room for The BookKeeper's cooking utensils (every cooking gadget known to man), and my rods, guns, traps, camping gear, tools, etc., and two dogs and an independent minded cat.
          I don't mind a hunting camp, occasionally, a tent, or a small cabin, and I have stayed in a few. However, as a permanent domicile, I want to live in a house. Even the ranch house, four bedrooms, which my sister and brother-in-law inhabit, can get crowded when the kinfolks gather.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad