Barn Fire Caused by Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn Fire Caused by Hawk

This is crazy. There was a barn fire in Baldwinsville, New York last night, caused by a skirmish between a hawk and a peacock. The farm is one of those "therapy" farms, where sick folks can go and spend the day with horses, alpacas, and other friendly and interesting animals. They have exotic birds, too -- including a peacock that lived with the chickens.

Apparently the hawk flew into the chicken-coop part of the barn and the peacock fought him off. In the fracas, though, they dislodged the heat lamp. I think the news said that upwards of 30 animals died in the fire.

I have heard of mice setting fires with kitchen matches, but a hawk and a peacock? As strange as the 2020 election!

Comment

Sounds like a sad story. Guessing the hawk and peacock died to.

Comment

Murphy's Law?

If anything can go wrong, it will.
        ...and at the most inopportune time!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          Murphy's Law?

If anything can go wrong, it will.
          ...and at the most inopportune time!
          I had a bumblebee fly into my open car-window one summer, when I was going about 50 down a backroad. It hit me in the corner of my eye, a pretty solid impact, and I almost went off the road. If I had, and if I'd died, nobody would have ever known why I went off the road -- just another one of those unexplained one-car accidents.

Makes me wonder how many of those that are chalked up to the driver falling asleep, actually happened because of some completely random, usually harmless thing.

(Funny thing about that bee: Later that summer, in that same stretch of road, I had another one fly inside, this one ticking off the window-frame and landing in my lap (stunned too much to sting, thankfully. Don't know if it was just coincidence or maybe the bumbles were bored that summer and daring each other. My car is grey so I don't think they were mistaking me for a big tasty flower or anything ....)

Comment

I went with Mr. Weems to get a horse.
            When he got into his vehicle, he took the #2 pencil he always carried out of his shirt pocket and placed it on the dash. When he got out, it went back in his shirt pocket.
            After repeating the odd act several times, I asked him why he did it.
            One of his best friends had a car wreck and was basically unhurt, except the sharp #2 pencil he carried in his shirt pocket, somehow turned and stabbed him in the heart, killing him.
            Mr. Weems WOULD NOT drive a vehicle with a pencil in his pocket.

Speaking of "weird"!
            Mitch shot a buck at about 60 yards with an inline, .50 cal muzzle loader.
            I was less than 400 yards from him.
            He only fired once.
            When we dressed out the deer, it was evident the bullet had entered a bit high through the shoulder blade and had turned and exited the SAME SIDE!

Comment

A friend of mine was struck on the chest by a flying pigeon while riding his motorbike under an overpass on the highway. He was able to maintain control of his bike and was unhurt, but if it had hit him in the face, it could have been a serious accident.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                A friend of mine was struck on the chest by a flying pigeon while riding his motorbike under an overpass on the highway. He was able to maintain control of his bike and was unhurt, but if it had hit him in the face, it could have been a serious accident.
                Typically pigeons create a different, less dangerous, sort of airborne hazard.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Typically pigeons create a different, less dangerous, sort of airborne hazard.
                  Uhhmmm....? Shall we call that a "bio-hazard" rather than a "navigational hazard"? LOL!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad