Skull Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skull Mount

Finally found some wood I was keen on, so made a display rack for my first "Euro" mount.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_192616.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	767992
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_192630.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	767993
    The wood is (was?) a rough sawn 1×6 used as lath for a tin roof.
    It was 18 feet long!

Nice rack, good looking mount. I don't generally care for the European type mounts, I always feel like those empty eye sockets are staring at me. That one is different, I guess because it is not on the wall, staring down at me. Again, nice looking mount.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
      Nice rack, good looking mount. I don't generally care for the European type mounts, I always feel like those empty eye sockets are staring at me. That one is different, I guess because it is not on the wall, staring down at me. Again, nice looking mount.
      He's a long way from any kind of Booner, but then I'm not a trophy hunter either.... unless one like this pops up! LOL!

'06, I gave up on any kind of B&C rack a long time ago. If it happens, it happens. I'm not passing on buck after buck just for the sake of antler measurements.
      I'm quite certain that multitudes of nice bucks have died of natural causes never having grown a B&C rack.

I shot one very nice buck. Thinking he should qualify for Oklahoma's "Cy Curtis Award", I contacted Ok DOW personnel to have him measured.
      It only takes a score of 140" to qualify.
      What I thought was a really NICE buck, scored a mere 122"!
      I was absolutely tickled with this buck. B&C and Cy Curtis be damned.

Comment

Yep. I have shot a few bucks that some people thought were really good, but that were really culls. I gave up on horn hunting a long time ago, because of that "Well, if I shoot that one, a better one will show up later...." school of thought. I had really rather shoot does, they eat better. If you know what you are looking at, and pick out 4½ or better year olds, you are really helping the deer herd. Not that I won't shoot basket racks, crab claws, or weirdos, I just don't hold out for trophies anymore.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad