Navigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
    I took the same Power Squadron course that Jimbo did and it is a good one. I have relied on it in the great lakes, the gulf and both oceans on our coast. It works great. In big timber country I rely on terrain maps and a compass and I carry a whistle just in case. I don't hunt big country without a compass. The whistle lasts a lot longer than my lungs would if I ever need to signal for help. The whistle I supplied them has been instrumental in rescues a few times in the hands of rookies who got lost while we were hunting big country.

I've had great experiences with onboard satellite GPS navigation as long as I was able to maintain a signal (forget it in deep forests with overhead trees blocking the signal). It works great on the seas and across the eastern part of the U.S. I don't count on it in the big country of the Rocky Mountain wilderness. It is usually the overhead canopy that blocks signals. For those accustomed to cell phone navigation, you can forget that in the wild west because there is no cell signal.

I really never got into navigating by the stars because I prefer to stay put at night so I don't run into floating debris on the water or step off a cliff in the outback. My plan is to just sit tight til daylight but I've never actually had to do it. I did have a friend who prided himself on his night navigation skills. We both almost had our heads taken off when he hit a buoy that had broken loose and was floating in the middle of nowhere. It literally came over the bow hit the windshield and bounced over our heads at about 40 mph.
    My friend has sailed the Oceans for years and says the biggest danger in a 40' boat is floating shipping containers, whales and Ocean freighters, not to mention pirates.

40mph at night is crazy. We cruised about 13knots.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

My friend has sailed the Oceans for years and says the biggest danger in a 40' boat is floating shipping containers, whales and Ocean freighters, not to mention pirates.

40mph at night is crazy. We cruised about 13knots.
      You nailed it Jimbo. I had big sperm whales playing with me while marlin fishing off Honolulu. We were nervous because they were big enough to capsize our 40 footer. A monstrous male about the size of a box car breached about 50 yards away and would have crushed our boat had he fallen on it.

On inland lakes I drive real slow because of rock danger. One of the few time I cruised at night was on Lake Michigan where I was trying to get out 40 miles by the crack of dawn. I was cruising at about 40 mph heading directly into the moon light. I felt I could well see an debris on the water in that moon beam. However, without seeing it, I crossed a tanker wake that must have been five miles behind the tanker. The boat went air-born and all onboard were shaken out of their bunks.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	earl guinn '84.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	543.8 KB
ID:	769141

You nailed it Jimbo. I had big sperm whales playing with me while marlin fishing off Honolulu. We were nervous because they were big enough to capsize our 40 footer. A monstrous male about the size of a box car breached about 50 yards away and would have crushed our boat had he fallen on it.

On inland lakes I drive real slow because of rock danger. One of the few time I cruised at night was on Lake Michigan where I was trying to get out 40 miles by the crack of dawn. I was cruising at about 40 mph heading directly into the moon light. I felt I could well see an debris on the water in that moon beam. However, without seeing it, I crossed a tanker wake that must have been five miles behind the tanker. The boat went air-born and all onboard were shaken out of their bunks.
        Get out 40 miles for what ? We rented 3 boats out of Saugatuk, MI. Went out a couple miles and all boats limited out with Salmon. You could have done it with a 18' outboard. So 8 limits was the captain, mate and 6 fisherman per boat. Everybody went home with about 50 lb of Click image for larger version  Name:	roy anderson 1987.jpg Views:	70 Size:	114.1 KB ID:	768848 salmon and we cooked some in MI for dinner. Those were the days.
        Last edited by jhjimbo; 03-15-2021, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Jimbo... on Lake Michigan, you go where the salmon are. Although most of the really big fish I have caught have been within a couple miles of the shore I've had times where you could slay them way offshore where they tend to school up at times. I've never seen better salmon fishing than when you hit one of these BIG schools way offshore. In one of them, I couldn't even get one downrigger down as they were hitting lures as soon as they hit the water.

Comment

Depending on how they are loaded the freighters in the Gulf of St Lawrence would make three wakes, one of the bow, one midship and one off the stern. They were cruising about 15knots in the Ocean.

Comment

Dakota, just for grins I looked up what it takes to get a Mega Yacht Captains Ticket. Under 500 tons it is unbelievable the different levels and time involved. Up to 3,000 tons is like a lifetime of study. Not like the 6 pack license a Captain can get from Coast Guard on Great Lakes to take passengers for hire. This is my Fathers Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0713.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	722.6 KB
ID:	769268 Coast Guard license for passengers up to 65'.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad