Backwoodsman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backwoodsman

Any of you guys read Backwoodsman magazine? I think I asked this a couple years ago, but don't recall. Lots of interesting stuff -- plenty of SMH kind of stuff, too, though it's still entertaining. Lots of "bug out" tips, stories on old hermits, how-to on everything but homemade knives to homemade washing machines.

Just read about "Dugout Dick," the guy in Idaho who lived in dugouts and caves and even rented some out to tourists. He used scavenged car parts for walls and windows, lived pretty much on a vegetarian diet due to digestion problems.

Anne LaBastile is a famous Adirondack hermit. An author, Conservationist, PhD. Lived for years with a couple dogs deep in the woods. Only came out for book dealings and some supplies.

Comment

I grew up with a grandfather who was born in 1893. His "outdoor" skills were many.
      My father was born in 1920. He didn't come from a wealthy family.
      When the "Great Depression" hit (1929), it was their outdoor skills and woodsman abilities that helped feed them and survive the hardships of those trying times.
      Even though I seldom paid attention, I learned quite a bit from those oldtimers. Through immersion I suppose.
      I'm not sure I'd care to compete in "Alone", but think I could do relatively well in a survival situation as long as it wasn't a volcanic eruption, nuclear holocaust or lasted more than a couple of weeks or so. ....and not wintertime! LOL!
      Expert?
      No, just comfortable on my home turf.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
        I've only read one issue and the articles were interesting. But I've got no application for the skills / techniques.
        Something interesting is Noah John Rhondau a hermit in the Adirondacks. He developed a letter code that took to 1992 be broken. Noah John Rondeau - Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo
          The Boundary waters wilderness area in Minnesota had a women called the root beer lady.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Molter
          Ever watch Survivorman? Les Stroud has a show on PBS now, "Les Stroud's Wild Harvest.' More of a cooking show, but some pretty good ideas for wild-game, wild-food meals. Last night I watched "Wild Turkey with Matsusaka Mushroom."

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Something interesting is Noah John Rhondau a hermit in the Adirondacks. He developed a letter code that took to 1992 be broken. Noah John Rondeau - Wikipedia
            I wonder how he felt having to finish his life on welfare, after all those years of self-reliance. Someone in my family has a book about him, I'll have to track it down.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

I wonder how he felt having to finish his life on welfare, after all those years of self-reliance. Someone in my family has a book about him, I'll have to track it down.
              I heard on one of his appearances he got flu/pneumonia and died. Probably never built up antibodies to anything.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad