A Week of Very Cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Week of Very Cold

N. Ohio looking at a unusual week of several single degree days and nights. This is extreme for this area. I have a forced air system and know it will be running almost constantly. I will hunker down, got supplies and got the vehicle plugged in. Auxiliary kerosene heater filled and ready. I have pet birds so can't let the temp drop too much.

How is your furnace filter? I know my system will run almost continuous. One thing I do is take out the filter I have had in for a while and put in a brand new one I keep on hand. This allows for maximum air flow. When the temps get back to a more normal range, I remove the new one and save it and continue using the original until time to replace it. Stay safe.

I keep it about 69.5 now, down from 79 in the summer. I come down a degree every few days to give my pet birds a chance to grow their winter down.
    I to have under ground electric, o.k., but when there is a problem takes longer to fix. Longest I have been off in 40 years is about 8 hrs.
    I was thinking the same thing with the elec cars. Now, on a hot day when all the AC's are going we have had rotating brown-outs. That is with a coal generator and 2 nuclear within 10 to 40 miles.
    A friend is an engineer on Norfolk-Southern and I asked him about all the long trains of coal going East. The trains are so long, 3 engines pulling and another 1/2 way down the train. He said that is Western low-sulfur coal going East to bring down the sulfur content of what they burn.
    Get the furnace filters with MERV 13 rating or better. 13 is suppose to catch virus. I even have a sticky spray for filters that helps 'hold' whatever the filter stops. Be careful when changing it - don't dislodge anything that is on it.
    Coldest I have experienced was at out Cabin in the Adirondacks -52 below. So cold the electric wires were straight and breaking themselves. We lost elec. for days but our propane generator kicked in so we were o.k. - had a 250gal propane tank full. A long weekend snowmobiling with another couple. When it warmed to -30 we thought there was a heat wave. I had a brand new Dodge SW and it would not start until about -30.
    Check coldest temp in Old Forge, New York, that is when we were there.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...MlvGSfZ7onuAy7
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 02-04-2021, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I got a brand new furnace put in this year so I’m hoping everything works great on it. As you say about air flow and your filters this is a top high efficiency furnace which brings air from the outside in and makes it hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
        I got a brand new furnace put in this year so I’m hoping everything works great on it. As you say about air flow and your filters this is a top high efficiency furnace which brings air from the outside in and makes it hot.
        My BIL got one like that a few years ago and they love it.
        Mine is a Heat Pump and I like it as well. Below about 20 it switches over to resister heating. I have about 2500 sq ft and heat and cool for a little over $1300/ year. 79deg summer, 69.5 deg winter thermostat settings. The cold snap coming is rare, usually we bounce around 25 to 35 deg for the winter.
        Last edited by jhjimbo; 02-04-2021, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Now that the big snow is done, we've got some quiet days coming up, twenties and high teens during the day and low teens and single digits at night, except for tomorrow when it's supposed to be in the high thirties, maybe even some rain, before dropping back down for the weekend.

I'm predicting some melt-off of the 20-odd inches of snow we've got right now, then a crust over the weekend. Not great walking, plus impossible to be quiet in the woods, but overall no big weather concerns for a while, looks like.

Right now it's crystal clear, big icicles in front of the windows, nice deep blue sky.

Comment

We're supposed to be lows in the 50's, highs in the 80's.
            NEXT week! You bunch of jerks couldn't keep all that cold air north of the Red River!
            Thursday through Saturday, morning lows in the low 30's and highs in the 40's and 50's.

Looks like I'm gonna hafta build a better weather wall along the Red River. I came 600 miles south to leave that crap behind! LOL!

.....AND Y'ALL AIN'T HEPPIN'!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
              Now that the big snow is done, we've got some quiet days coming up, twenties and high teens during the day and low teens and single digits at night, except for tomorrow when it's supposed to be in the high thirties, maybe even some rain, before dropping back down for the weekend.

I'm predicting some melt-off of the 20-odd inches of snow we've got right now, then a crust over the weekend. Not great walking, plus impossible to be quiet in the woods, but overall no big weather concerns for a while, looks like.

Right now it's crystal clear, big icicles in front of the windows, nice deep blue sky.
              Ice over snow reminds me when I got stuck with my Jeep GC. Drove into parking area and all four wheels broke straight down through 2" of ice. No tire could get traction as plates of ice in front of and behind the tires on all four wheels. Luckily I had my escape shovel. pull the ice plates away from tires and drove right out.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                The long range forecast for us shows a possible ice event next Friday. Those completely shut us down.
                The map originally showed the arctic blast could reach deep south, the model has pulled back on that and it might now only get into Ohio.

Comment

I was just reading in Fur-Fish-Game about a guy beaver-trapping in Tennessee during a weird cold snap. For a while the ice was thin enough for the beavers to break through, bumping it with their heads as they swam under it, but then he did find a dead one after the ice got thicker. Probably that beaver got too far from the lodge and couldn't break open a breathing-hole before getting back.

Comment

How frozen is Lake Erie? Not very - cleveland.com

Several years ago lots of shanties and vehicles broke off a giant ice flow. Coast Guard air lifted things to shore. Not sure how they got the ice flow. Now, for almost everything the Coast Guard charges a fee. Out of gas, charge a fee. Engine break down, no charge but they will try to get you to call a tow boat. Towing insurance policies are getting popular.

Comment

I didn't copy the link, but that website Danbo and I have been linking, newyorkupstate.com, has an article today of some ice fishermen towing an airplane plane across the ice -- the pilot was having engine trouble and had to set down on the lake. It was Champlain, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                        I didn't copy the link, but that website Danbo and I have been linking, newyorkupstate.com, has an article today of some ice fishermen towing an airplane plane across the ice -- the pilot was having engine trouble and had to set down on the lake. It was Champlain, I think.
                        click on it, don't copy

Comment

Local temps here will be single digits, lows at minus. Daytime windchill still minus, but still well above what has been in years past.

Comment

Saturday 2/6 already colder than forecast at 10PM 10deg.
                            check this link out
                            How frozen is Lake Erie? Not very - cleveland.com
                            Last edited by jhjimbo; 02-07-2021, 08:29 AM.

Comment

7 below right now and snow forcast of less than an inch. The last time that was forecast, we got 4". Been a dry winter.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad