Ammo Shortage ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
    DakotaMan- Just a question for my general fund of knowledge. Would it not be easier to pull the bullets, dump the powder and reload never fired brass? Or do you want your brass formed to a specific chamber? Or is the pull, dump and recharge, reseat, not precise enough for your application. Seeking information!
    crm
    '06,
    I've used the RCBS bullet puller that uses the collets that grip the bullet.
    ....but I don't gave one...now!
    All I have now is the kinetic, hammer style.
    Scares the ever loving crap out of me every time I use it! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
      I saw both his videos. If they are producing primers at record volume, SOMEBODY still has to be selling that ammo. And you would think that there would still be enough for a reloader once in a while. You can't buy it anywhere. If Manufacturers are selling it at the highest rate in history, I should be able to buy something within 6 months of searching. I know he says all primers are going into ammo. I may have to buy ammo and punch the primers out for my reloading.
      My understanding is that they're making so much ammo that virtually all primers being made currently, are going to factory ammunition. Reloaders are second in line and there's almost nothing left over at the moment. Like all shortages, it ends when people calm down and stop reflexively buying up everything they find because they're worried they won't see it again.

Comment

When Y2K could be a problem I bought 30,000 primers to be prepared. Always keep a good supply of everything as a shortage could occur in any product. With Biden it could be sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          When Y2K could be a problem I bought 30,000 primers to be prepared. Always keep a good supply of everything as a shortage could occur in any product. With Biden it could be sooner than later.
          Your sitting on a goldmine.

Comment

I was talking to a player in the firearms industry last week. He can't get primers, and he sells ammo under his name. The shortage is real. He can't get ammo, but he has a deal to get an amount later in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

Your sitting on a goldmine.
              That was 20 years ago. I do see primers at flea markets from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                DakotaMan- Just a question for my general fund of knowledge. Would it not be easier to pull the bullets, dump the powder and reload never fired brass? Or do you want your brass formed to a specific chamber? Or is the pull, dump and recharge, reseat, not precise enough for your application. Seeking information!
                crm
                CRM, admittedly I just loaded my first rounds ever about an hour ago, but as I understand it when you pull bullets ideally you should resize the cases for proper neck tension.

I'm interested in Dakotaman's take as well as a couple others on here.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

CRM, admittedly I just loaded my first rounds ever about an hour ago, but as I understand it when you pull bullets ideally you should resize the cases for proper neck tension.

I never resize brass of pulled bullets. Sometimes I just pull the bullet and immediately insert another bullet that I want. Don't do anything else. Note: I always insert my bullet of the same or lesser weight, never heavier.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

He can pull the bullet and dump powder IF the case is the caliber he wants and has the primer he wants, i.e. standard or magnum. Might not be able to tell unless original load is known Removing the primer to use in another case can be done. I have not used any I have de primed, just toss them incase they are damaged from being popped out.
                    Last edited by jhjimbo; 01-27-2021, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Fitch, fireformed brass is a little more accurate in most cartridges but shooting virgin brass isn't terrible. The 6mm BR and Dasher style cartridges shoot well enough with virgin brass to win competitions but that is not likely in most other cartridges. The main reason for removing primers, pulling bullets, dumping powder, etc. is that you may wish to use the primers on another cartridge. For example, you need .270 reloads and can only find .308 ammo. I hope it doesn't come to that as it would likely be more expensive in that you would be paying around a dollar a primer rather than $0.04 apiece.

Comment

Fitch, fireformed brass is a little more accurate in most cartridges but shooting virgin brass isn't terrible. The 6mm BR and Dasher style cartridges shoot well enough with virgin brass to win competitions but that is not likely in most other cartridges. The main reason for removing primers, pulling bullets, dumping powder, etc. is that you may wish to use the primers on another cartridge. For example, you need .270 reloads and can only find .308 ammo. I hope it doesn't come to that as it would likely be more expensive in that you would be paying around a dollar a primer rather than $0.04 apiece.
                        Good grief!
                        When I started reloading, (1973/74 ish) primers were .01! A flat of a hundred was ninety nine cents!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Good grief!
                          When I started reloading, (1973/74 ish) primers were .01! A flat of a hundred was ninety nine cents!
                          Those were the days Bubba. Reloading was so much more inexpensive in those days.

Comment

Thanks for the reply DakotaMan, but not exactly what I was getting at.

Say you had reloaded a batch with previously fired brass that needed breaking down for some reason. From what I've read seating then pulling a bullet can work the neck enough to cause tension issues. Not that it can't be done, just that it's not optimal to do so.

Worth resizing to you or nothing to be concerned with?

Comment

Dakota, He wants to know if you would neck size or if the 'bullet hold' on the new bullet sufficient ? Fitch, You only need .002" hold on a bullet. Measure the inside diam of the case mouth. Slight crimp in the canilure if there is one. Note: Some bullets are designed for .308Win and also .30-06. They have two canilures, one is designed for the .308 for proper OAL, the other to give the 30-06 the proper OAL.

Comment

fitch270, and you wonder why it took you so long to get into reloading! LOL!

You know the routine.
                                When you fire a cartridge, the neck is stretched out.
                                When you resize, you squeeze the neck down, then stretch it back out with the expander ball.
                                When you seat a bullet, the stretch in the case neck may be infinitesimal, but it happens.
                                If you pull a bullet, even if you reseat a bullet of the same diameter, the tension holding the second bullet in place won't be as great.

Should you resize after pulling bullets?

You're probably going to get about as many different answers (opinions?) as there are responders.

Would I resize?
                                Probably not unless I could tell the bullet wasn't firmly in place.

Also remember, less tension holding the bullet on place means less chamber pressure the load generates.

Lot'sa variables sir!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad