• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready... Get Set...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3526.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	760264 What do you have in your pack ?? Checking everything out Click image for larger version

Name:	Back pack Nov 2020.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	760263

Here's what's in my main pack. The first aid kit is in a sling bag that is carried within the larger backpack.

Remember, I hunt alone on public land.

Name:	20201118_194849.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	760417

Name:	20201118_194925.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	760418

Comment

pighunter, I don't (won't?) hunt public land, but I still hunt alone. Besides, there isn't THAT much public land near me. (2500 acre WMA and that fills up quickly!)
      I have friends around, but they aren't hunters.
      My "prep" is to tell the "Boss" where I'm going. She knows my routine and we have an "I'm off hunting." routine.

Comment

Bubba, my favorite WMA has 43,000 acres. There's not as much hunting pressure since a minimum 3-points on at least one side was implemented. I go up to a mile in. Unfortunately, some of my favorite spots have been discovered by other hunters so it's a rush in the mornings to get there 1st. If you snooze you loose.

In the main pack:
        > Camo military surplus poncho
        > Orange thick reusable gloves
        > Thin disposable gloves
        > Toilet paper (in ziploc bag)
        > Tall kitchen trash bags (folded and contained in ziploc bag)
        > Browning fixed blade skinning knife
        > Streamlight headlamp
        > Streamlight penlight with green LEDs
        > 4 spare AAA batteries
        > Compass
        > Lifestraw
        > Nikon rangefinder
        > Insect repellant (in ziploc bag)
        > Write-in-the-rain notepad
        > Pencil
        > Spare 4x4 key with LED light on the fob
        > Spring-type carabiner rated 22 KN (4,950 lbs)
        > Spring-type carabiner rated 12 KN (2,697 lbs)

.... To be added to the large pack ....
        > qty 4 ball & loop bungies
        > qty 4 aluminum tent pegs
        > 50ft of paracord
        > 6x monocular
        > Space blanket
        > Folding saw
        > Stainless steel water bottle - 40 oz capacity

.... Worn on outside of the large pack ....
        > Folding three-legged seat
        > Camo butt pad

In the smaller sling bag:
        > Form 4 documentation for my suppressors
        > Small bag of facial tissues
        > Cold Steel skinning knife
        > Whistle
        > Magnesium fire starter
        > Waterproof matches
        > Bic lighter
        > Water purifying tablets
        > Another spare key for the 4x4
        > Ceramic knife sharpener
        > Leather coaster for sharpening knifes
        > Another compass
        > Compact mirror
        > Eye drops
        > Scalpel
        > Heavy-duty sail cloth needle
        > Advil, Aleve, and Aspirin pain killers
        > Surgical gloves
        > Small bandages
        > Antibiotic ointment
        > Alcohol wipes
        > Israeli style large bandage
        > Quick-clot pad
        > Three sets of foam ear plugs
        > Lightweight plastic poncho
        > Head net for repelling insects
        > Spring-type carabiner rated 12 KN (2697 lbs)

Comment

Very complete. How much do you figure it weighs ?
          When I fell on the sharp point of a stump cut down by a beaver I thought I was going to have to crawl back to camp - about 1/2 mile by way the crow fly's. (the old joke punch line - how far is it if the crow walks and carries a flat tire.?) The point caught my entire weight just under my arm on my side.
          After gaining some composure I managed to climb on my ATV. Immense pain with every bump back to camp. I did not go to Dr., pain pills and rest worked. I don't think I broke ribs but I do think the point separated through the ribs some.
          My right leg was out of commission so driving back I used left foot and to get brake I had to grab my pant leg and lift my foot over to the brake. The stump is taller than my arm is long so I could not break the fall. Click image for larger version  Name:	Stump.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.07 MB ID:	760525
          Last edited by jhjimbo; 11-19-2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

One tip I may have given you. I carry wound gauze bandage for large cuts or GSW. The best way to carry this in vacuum bags. Shrinks them down and keeps them sterile. Note, you need scissors or knife to open.

Comment

Ouch! I remember you relating that story of falling on the beaver chewed stump. You were lucky to have not been hurt worse. That's a great idea about using the vacuum packer to store for field carry.

My fully loaded pack with a full water bottle and warm coat probably runs about 25 lbs. Sometimes I attach the Ameristep Doghouse blind and that weighs an additional 10lbs. But, I usually keep those treks to less than a half mile or use a game cart to go most of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                Ouch! I remember you relating that story of falling on the beaver chewed stump. You were lucky to have not been hurt worse. That's a great idea about using the vacuum packer to store for field carry.

My fully loaded pack with a full water bottle and warm coat probably runs about 25 lbs. Sometimes I attach the Ameristep Doghouse blind and that weighs an additional 10lbs. But, I usually keep those treks to less than a half mile or use a game cart to go most of the way.
                I have been using the Ameristep single chair blind - easy to use and easy to move around. Not good for archery.

Comment

No part of the WMA near me is more than one mile from a road.
                  This area, due to the 1904 land rush, is cut up in mile square sections. Except for the occasional "blind" section, you can't get further than 1/2 mile from a road.

Then there are my mobility issues.

If I walked in a mile, I'd have to spend the night and come back tomorrow! LOL!
                  If I killed a deer a mile from my vehicle, I'd just have to sit down and eat it! Ain't no way I'd ever get it all out before it spoiled.
                  Last time I walked a mile, stupidly chasing turkeys, I hobbled around the house for 2 days.
                  All gimped up and humped over, looking like "Granpappy Amos" on "The Real McCoys"! LOL!

I have to "pick" my battles. Sometimes, I KNOW what's going to happen if I continue, but I want to do it badly enough I'll suffer the consequences.
                  Sometimes?
                  Nope! Ain't worth it!
                  ...and I don't do pain killers. I've still got the last 2 post surgery pain prescriptions I left the hospital with. (hydrocodone! the BIG ones!)
                  I hang on to them. You never know!

It's not like I suffer throbbing pain like a toothache, but after an extended walk or standing, my right foot feels like I'm walking in a shoe with several pebbles I can't get rid of.
                  All I gotta do is get off my feet. I sit down and the pain immediately disappears!

Comment

Well, I'm not as fit as I should be. This stay at home job is killing me and I hate it. But, I just go slower and take frequent rests when going up hills. My legs are still strong, the knees are in good shape, it's just my heart and lungs that aren't cooperating as well. The game cart is a life saver and has greatly helped.

Comment

Yeah, well I "usta" wasn't crippled up and aged! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                        Well, I'm not as fit as I should be. This stay at home job is killing me and I hate it. But, I just go slower and take frequent rests when going up hills. My legs are still strong, the knees are in good shape, it's just my heart and lungs that aren't cooperating as well. The game cart is a life saver and has greatly helped.
                        Can you have motorized vehicles on public land ?
                        When I hunted Michigan one permit allowed you to use all trails. ATV's only before daylight and after the legal time close. Nothing during hunting hours. NY, no motorized.
                        Ohio can ride in some National forests.

Stay at home I almost finished all my survival stash the first month. Ohio is now getting a curfew - don't know the time yet.

I have watched the progression of infection and have come to the conclusion the younger people could care less about spreading and are doing just what they want. Otherwise, we would have beaten this by now. The future looks like this will be with us for a long time.
                        Last edited by jhjimbo; 11-19-2020, 11:20 PM.

Comment

No motorized vehicles of any kind behind the gates, and that includes motorized bicycles.

Mostly we're being cautious but have been going to the bar on karaoke nights. Halloween night was rough on people who went there. Several caught Covid, at least two went to the hospital and one died. He was 69 and took the cover charge at the door. I liked him and he seemed to be a gentle soul.

Comment

"... No motorized vehicles of any kind behind the gates, and that includes motorized bicycles. ..."

The local WMA has an area designated for disabled hunters.
                            About 5 years ago, a disabled hunter in some type electric conveyance set the broom grass on fire and caused a huge grass fire.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad