No announcement yet.

100,000 cases Wednesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The number of COVID-19 'long haulers,' survivors experiencing lasting virus symptoms, is growing.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/number-cov...003500035.html

Comment

Weird how South Dakota has a unemployment rate of 3.6% and a low covid rate. No mandatory mask mandate and individual freedom. Success on every front. Here in Pa our limp-dick Gov wants the citizens to wear masks in our homes and lock down again. I prefer the South Dakota model!

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
        The number of COVID-19 'long haulers,' survivors experiencing lasting virus symptoms, is growing.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/number-cov...003500035.html
        Sorry Karen, I have a low opinion of ABC News & Yahoo News. There fear narrative is blown way out of proportion.

Comment

Hard to say how many long haulers, but it's sizeable, and we'll be paying a price for a long time to come, increased medical costs, lost productivity. It might well be that it aint over even when it's over.

I notice new infections aren't up to Friday's high of 177K, of course only Wed is reporting currently. It would be good to see a plateau and then drop, not sure what it will take to get people to follow basic hygiene. Masks, no indoors except at home, no travel, no socializing.

Comment

I think the holdouts will fall into line when the horror stories begin to sink in about sick people lying on the streets in front of hospitals waiting to get in.

Comment

Rat, how do you justify your continued working? You shout for everyone else to stand in place, yet you continue to work, spraying #2 diesel fumes illegally as you head from job to job. What makes your work essential?

Comment

Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
                Rat, how do you justify your continued working? You shout for everyone else to stand in place, yet you continue to work, spraying #2 diesel fumes illegally as you head from job to job. What makes your work essential?
                I have a new diesel, uses DEF additive, exhaust is clear with a slight smell of tofu. My work is officially listed as essential by my state. We are outside and mostly working alone dozens of yards away from passersby. Since when is #2 diesel illegal? #1 is for helicopters or cheap kerosene.

Comment

I burned #2 diesel in my home furnace. I burned low sulpher diesel in my truck. My John Deere tractors were supposed to burn #2 diesel, or off road diesel. What, other than a political reason, makes your job so essential?

Comment

On road vehicles have to run ultra low sulfur diesel not #2 fuel. Anything using DEF would shut down on #2. Even my 2010 Tractor recommends LS.

DOT pulls a fuel sample you’ll be out some cash as well.

https://www.kendrickoil.com/understa...el-fuel-types/
                    Last edited by fitch270; 11-20-2020, 03:18 PM.

Comment

My newest tractor was early 1990s. My dealer was leary of running low sulphur in it. Apparently the sulphur has a lubrication function or so the service manager hinted.

Comment

Fitch, #2 is what's at the pump, it is formulated to run modern diesel engines. DOT adds color to show taxes have been paid, not grade of diesel. I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on trucks, and everyone else I see filling up does the same. It's on your link.

We used to sometimes run #1 diesel in the helicopters because sometimes fuel trucks would have a long ways to go to an airport that sold jet a, and #1 is more available than kerosene.

#2 has additives for lubrication and most especially cetane which must be upwards past 40. Turbine engines don't work on compression like a diesel does.

Labrador I've no idea what makes our job essential, nothing in my book, then again we've about zero chance of contracting a virus unless it was riding in the same truck which we don't.

Comment

Maybe we’re having a regional terminology miscommunication.

I drove a tank wagon for seven years and pushed a few million gallons of the stuff. We’d differentiate four products:

#2 heating oil
                          Off road diesel
                          On road diesel (low sulfur)
                          Kerosene

Off road diesel and #2 heating oil were the same product, referred to differently on delivery tickets to distinguish usage.

Getting pink #2 high sulfur diesel in an on road tank was a huge no-no. Not just due to the tax issue but to the sulfur content as well. It messes with emission systems.

On road fuel is simply called diesel here, if you call it #2 people will think you’re talking about off road/heating oil. Even heavy equipment has gone LS.

I could say I shoot a 6mm and be technically correct and still intentionally misleading if I really use a .243 win instead of a 6mm rem.
                          Whatever.

Comment

We're pushing 200K positives a day and soon 2,000 deaths.

Today I went into a supplier who mostly sells things cowboys buy and I was the only person with a mask. All the customers, all the employees.

Our county had 3 beds left this afternoon, we're already sending folks elsewhere. Down in the city a few hospitals are full, statewide I think we're in the mid 90s, maybe they're setting up a field hospital at the convention center. I think we have the most hospitals this side of Kansas City maybe.

Hospital capacity isn't really the problem though. We are set up to be running at around 70% with everyone getting days off and vacations. Now people are putting in lots of OT and they are going to get infected or burn out. People get tired, make mistakes, patients die. There's nowhere to import nurses from, everywhere is busy.

Comment

If only we had a vaccine. Oh wait, Trump got us a couple. We're saved!

Comment

I don't think either vaccine will have much of an affect until this current wave has already pretty much receded. Hard to say though, we are still very much on an upward trajectory by midweek averaging 200K new infections daily. We're at about 11 million cases, that's about 11 million more than we'd of had if we took this thing seriously from the beginning. Out of those a quarter million deaths and maybe 700,000 long haulers needing ongoing medical care. That's a pretty serious hit to the economy. And it's not over yet. I'd rate it a bigger mistake than Iraq.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad