Has anybody ever heard of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody ever heard of this?

Not that I've spent "hours" on a boat, but I've never heard of such!
    https://www.hccommunityjournal.com/a...Edx_el2CBuqryY

Never heard of that, and I have spent some time on boats. Stop and think, did you ever have an outboard, or even an inboard, running, that you didn't smell the exhaust? The pre-mix or oil additive in boat motor fuel is what causes the stink, and most times faint smoke, when it is running. Experienced boat drivers will usually find a way to get to their destination without exhaust fumes coming over the transom, and usually motors are shut down and a trolling motor or anchor employed at the destination.
    Not saying that this didn't happen, just that it is a rare and unlikely occurrence.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
      Never heard of that, and I have spent some time on boats. Stop and think, did you ever have an outboard, or even an inboard, running, that you didn't smell the exhaust? The pre-mix or oil additive in boat motor fuel is what causes the stink, and most times faint smoke, when it is running. Experienced boat drivers will usually find a way to get to their destination without exhaust fumes coming over the transom, and usually motors are shut down and a trolling motor or anchor employed at the destination.
      Not saying that this didn't happen, just that it is a rare and unlikely occurrence.
      Well, if the ME is correct and the kids carbon monoxide level was 720,000 parts per million.....?
      That's pretty heavy!

The article didn't say, but I'd lay pretty even odds it was an I/O. Most high $ ski boats are.
      My old 18' Lone Star has a transom and is outboard. With the engine THAT far out of the "well", I'd think it's pretty safe. I "think"!?
      ...but a carbon monoxide detector IS cheaper than a funeral! LOL!

Comment

Reclaiming a post.

Comment

Subject reclaim

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad