Crickets !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rock rat View Post

I know people in Taiwan, Singapore, and China. The first outbreak of Covid was followed in minute detail as no one had any idea if it could be controlled at all. Much of the social media posts were in English or there were translations. The initial exponential growth out of Wuhan was worrying people that it would sweep across the world in a couple months. They thought fatality rates to be around 10%, remember they had almost no tests. They were flying blind. The Chinese succeeded in Wuhan, and every other successful effort to reduce infection and limit growth has involved some combination of what are fairly old and established methods.

They severely reduce social interaction, like people stay home in their houses for a month only venturing out, one person, once a week, to get food. Or even less, have food, medicine, etc delivered. Massive testing, massive contact tracing, immediate quarantine of infected individuals preferably in a covid ward until they test negative and no symptoms for 3 days.

At our peak shut down we were at about 50% reduction in social interaction, that caused a leveling off but we never did go for full shut down, and we never did fulfill even the modest goals originally set forth by Trump admin as to how much success before opening up. I don't want to get all political but our country is influenced much more by restaurant and bar owners and investors making a half million and up, than by any old Tom Dick and Harry who vote. Not blaming R's, it's both parties. Even the modest few hundred dollars here and there are not contributed by working stiffs. Money talks. People don't like their businesses losing money.

Until we get wide spread vaccinations we'll continue to bounce around with high levels of death, reduced business activity, and a generally unhappy electorate.
    To compare the society’s of China , Singapore and Taiwan to the US is pointless! Completely different cultures, it is darn near impossible to have a complete shutdown in a free society. Rock Rat there is problems that do arise when people have a chance to think for themselves and I realize that can be attacked right at the moment by the extreme liberals. This will pass and regardless if you don’t think so life will go on. I hope our liberties go on as well.

Comment

I know people in Taiwan, Singapore, and China. The first outbreak of Covid was followed in minute detail as no one had any idea if it could be controlled at all. Much of the social media posts were in English or there were translations. The initial exponential growth out of Wuhan was worrying people that it would sweep across the world in a couple months. They thought fatality rates to be around 10%, remember they had almost no tests. They were flying blind. The Chinese succeeded in Wuhan, and every other successful effort to reduce infection and limit growth has involved some combination of what are fairly old and established methods.

They severely reduce social interaction, like people stay home in their houses for a month only venturing out, one person, once a week, to get food. Or even less, have food, medicine, etc delivered. Massive testing, massive contact tracing, immediate quarantine of infected individuals preferably in a covid ward until they test negative and no symptoms for 3 days.

At our peak shut down we were at about 50% reduction in social interaction, that caused a leveling off but we never did go for full shut down, and we never did fulfill even the modest goals originally set forth by Trump admin as to how much success before opening up. I don't want to get all political but our country is influenced much more by restaurant and bar owners and investors making a half million and up, than by any old Tom Dick and Harry who vote. Not blaming R's, it's both parties. Even the modest few hundred dollars here and there are not contributed by working stiffs. Money talks. People don't like their businesses losing money.

Until we get wide spread vaccinations we'll continue to bounce around with high levels of death, reduced business activity, and a generally unhappy electorate.
      Rock, I agree with some of your points, however I read nothing in your words that gave a sound approach to ‘getting’ our diverse population on the same page of attack in the fight against our common enemy ! You can say all you want as to what should be do, but if you do not have a method of making all the people to follow ANY plan, then you are whistling in the wind. It has already been seen that the people are too divided in their thinking and actions !!

Comment

Bowhunter in my experience Americans are more than capable of working together for a common good, even sacrificing quite a bit in the way of comfort, freedom, and money. A planned shutdown eradication effort lasting a month with severe travel restrictions, support for essential workers, involvement of all the resources such as National Guard etc. We'd have to feed people, personal savings is in the toilet here, but it is all very doable. Both parties working together would help.

I've seen it done with malaria. When every infection is treated for free with quarantine and health care professionals making sure meds are taken and universal mosquito nets also free, next thing you know there are no infected people to spread the disease.

Health care professionals need to call the shots, not politicians. Get rid of the disease first, the economy comes second.

Comment

from red rat- "Health care professionals need to call the shots, not politicians."

I presume you consider that fraud, Dr. fauci, to be a health care professional, and not a politician?

Comment

Bowhunter in my experience Americans are more than capable of working together for a common good, even sacrificing quite a bit in the way of comfort, freedom, and money. A planned shutdown eradication effort lasting a month with severe travel restrictions, support for essential workers, involvement of all the resources such as National Guard etc. We'd have to feed people, personal savings is in the toilet here, but it is all very doable. Both parties working together would help.

I've seen it done with malaria. When every infection is treated for free with quarantine and health care professionals making sure meds are taken and universal mosquito nets also free, next thing you know there are no infected people to spread the disease.

Health care professionals need to call the shots, not politicians. Get rid of the disease first, the economy comes second.
            Rock Rat I agree but it’s people like you who put the blame on the president. My state has been a great example of keeping this in check , one thing Larry Hogan has done well. Also keeping the rioting out of Baltimore. Hogan worked with The health officials at the state level. His work ,to him the credit , not Trump’s fault or Good work !

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
              Rock Rat I agree but it’s people like you who put the blame on the president. My state has been a great example of keeping this in check , one thing Larry Hogan has done well. Also keeping the rioting out of Baltimore. Hogan worked with The health officials at the state level. His work ,to him the credit , not Trump’s fault or Good work !
              It's only the (D) controlled mega metro areas that are catching hell!

...and that bunch of retards wants the rest of the world to follow THEIR lead?

I think not, Scooter! 😎!

Comment

1-Cities with high population densities have more people in the lowest socioeconomic scale.
                2-Cities with high population densities have higher caseloads of COVID-19.
                3-Cities with high population densities have Democrat mayors.

There may be a causal connection between #! and #2.
                There may be a causal connection between #1 and #3.
                There is no causal connection between #2 and #3.

Comment

I guess your governor also has laid a lot of blame on Trump https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...RwFD20Q4dUDCAw when I google Hogan Trump Covid it brings up tons and tons of stuff. I guess Hogan took the virus seriously and acted accordingly, he also urged Trump to follow the advice of medical professionals. Trump has just been horrible on this issue. It's like trying to explain Kamala Harris on guns. Some pols are just really bad on some issues. When it's the president, and there's the potential for hundreds of thousands of deaths, well, it's kind of a big deal.

Kudos for your governor though. I'm sure it's cost him politically. There used to be lots like him, the kind of pol who says the hell with the cost, he just does the right thing.

I've a bunch of cousins in Idaho, looks like they're getting it bad, I'd no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                    1-Cities with high population densities have more people in the lowest socioeconomic scale.
                    2-Cities with high population densities have higher caseloads of COVID-19.
                    3-Cities with high population densities have Democrat mayors.

There may be a causal connection between #! and #2.
                    There may be a causal connection between #1 and #3.
                    There is no causal connection between #2 and #3.
                    Well Larry Hogan told the mayor of Baltimore to keep your city under control or the state will! It was a threat will received. So I feel 2 and 3 isn’t a casual connection , it’s a stone cold fact!

Comment

I guess your governor also has laid a lot of blame on Trump https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...RwFD20Q4dUDCAw when I google Hogan Trump Covid it brings up tons and tons of stuff. I guess Hogan took the virus seriously and acted accordingly, he also urged Trump to follow the advice of medical professionals. Trump has just been horrible on this issue. It's like trying to explain Kamala Harris on guns. Some pols are just really bad on some issues. When it's the president, and there's the potential for hundreds of thousands of deaths, well, it's kind of a big deal.

Kudos for your governor though. I'm sure it's cost him politically. There used to be lots like him, the kind of pol who says the hell with the cost, he just does the right thing.

I've a bunch of cousins in Idaho, looks like they're getting it bad, I'd no idea.
                      To blame President Trump for Covid deaths is just plain ridiculous ! Do you really believe your own nonsense ? God I hope not, if you really mean all this please get help!

Comment

Well Larry Hogan told the mayor of Baltimore to keep your city under control or the state will! It was a threat will received. So I feel 2 and 3 isn’t a casual connection , it’s a stone cold fact!
                        All three statements are facts.
                        If the political party in power is to be blamed for the spread of the coronavirus, what does that say for Texas and Florida??

Comment

I am no expert on just what operates the minds of people, but what I found, is that very few of us have the patience to wait things out. We expect instant results and answers to not only simplistic issues, but also to major problems. When the virus was not brought under control in a matter of a few months, living for tomorrow was out the window. In order to have a future, we need to take care of today’s need first. I will gladly give up a period of my live if it will help assure that I will have a future, but too many stated they were living for today and to hell with what was to follow ! That pretty much sealed the fate for the rest of the people, it was a sure bet that the virus would continue it’s ‘gift’ to us !

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post

All three statements are facts.
                              If the political party in power is to be blamed for the spread of the coronavirus, what does that say for Texas and Florida??
                              You know what it says , Florida and Texas have high amounts of illegals California and New York as well! It’s not hard to see !

Comment

You know what it says , Florida and Texas have high amounts of illegals California and New York as well! It’s not hard to see !
                                So it doesn't matter which political party is in power.
                                That is my point.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad