16 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    Well, I've got you both beat. My Dad had me snaking logging cable for pay at 9 years old. Of course I did more as I got older and stronger. Had my first non-family employment at age 13 sorting fasteners for a construction company. At 16 I was a garbage man and worked as a retail clerk. The summers at 17 and 18 found me on a road paving crew, laying asphalt on county roads. During college I worked in a greenhouse, in a library, in a coal mine, and at a Liquid Natural Gas receiving terminal. In graduate school I was a Teaching Assistant in both the Business and Electrical Engineering departments.

After getting the Engineering degree and my first Master's degree, I supervised production lines in an electrical equipment facility and in a ductile iron pipe foundry. I was a professional trainer for a while, teaching engineers and operators how to use automation equipment. I've programmed Distributed Control Systems for chemical processes and machines. One job took me to South America to implement conveyor controls, loading coal onto barges. I've done controls for underground mines too. The deepest underground I've been is about 1400 meters. I've also done the conveyor controls for the construction of a 600 foot high earth dam.

I've spent almost 10 years of my career in sales and marketing. So I'm very comfortable with public speaking and talking off the cuff. The last 16 years though has been mainly in design engineering, technical management, and construction management. I'm licensed and can seal electrical documents in over a dozen states.

Yep, I'm sedentary in most of my week, pushing a mouse and punching a keyboard. But in no way does that "stifle imagination and creativity". If anything, the constant need to learn, design, and communicate helps to keep my mind fresh. I naturally carry a lot of muscle and extra weight so no worries OHH. I wouldn't have any problem dragging your scrawny ass out of a bad situation. Just don't ask me to run or go up hills fast

EDIT: If I had to do it all again, I would have become a Gynecologist and worked my way through college being a paid gigolo to older women... just saying.
    One good friend and ski buddy through grade school and high just retired as a gynecologist. I always thought he could not resist the urge. He was a womanizer before getting married.

Comment

Pighunter, I would hardly say your working life has been sedentary. Probably as many job shifts and almost as much education in maybe the same amount of time (keep in mind I stopped working at age 57 after my wife died). You managed to find the time. It's not impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
        Pighunter, I would hardly say your working life has been sedentary. Probably as many job shifts and almost as much education in maybe the same amount of time (keep in mind I stopped working at age 57 after my wife died). You managed to find the time. It's not impossible.
        Thanks. Yep, I try to not be too lazy, was last in the gym on Wednesday lifting weights and walking on a treadmill. Another thing, I refuse to pay for yard work, preferring to do it all myself as another means of exercise. We use battery powered push mowers and PigHuntress shares that chore. My next big project is adding to the deck. I've completed the design and have the building permit. The next step is to dig the foundations and pour concrete.

I'm easily bored so that makes me tire of a job if there isn't enough variety. I've been directly fired just one time and I think it was because of a personality conflict with one of the project managers. No worries, I was back to working well before the severance pay was used up.

This summer billable work has been scarce and I've been on reduced hours. But things are picking up and I should be billable for the rest of the year.
        Last edited by PigHunter; 08-14-2020, 02:42 PM.
        Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

My Father and I built a 50'X50' pole barn to store his boat and a couple of friends boats over the winter. Just simple construction, we used 16 used telephone poles. I dug each one of the holes by hand. They were about 3' wide and about 5' deep. I hung a rope in each hole so I could get myself up and out. The stringers were 4X12's and rafters 2X10's. The front pole used the full 40' ladder to reach the top where I had to drill the bolt holes. I went up with a 1/2" drill to drill through a stringer, the pole and then another stringer. We put in bolts very similar to what the power company used. The elec. drills were guaranteed, good thing because we used up two of them. I still have the 24" wood boring bit I used. Picture standing near the top of the 40' ladder against a 50' tall pole only in the ground 5', then holding a drill 3' away from the beam to be drilled. Everything kinda swayed in the breeze. Building lasted over 50 years with very little maintenance.

Comment

Back on topic, we see that misinformation about Harris's citizenship status is playing a major role in the election campaign.
            Trump is showing signs of desperation,

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-gives-c...234004690.html

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              My Father and I built a 50'X50' pole barn to store his boat and a couple of friends boats over the winter. Just simple construction, we used 16 used telephone poles. I dug each one of the holes by hand. They were about 3' wide and about 5' deep. I hung a rope in each hole so I could get myself up and out. The stringers were 4X12's and rafters 2X10's. The front pole used the full 40' ladder to reach the top where I had to drill the bolt holes. I went up with a 1/2" drill to drill through a stringer, the pole and then another stringer. We put in bolts very similar to what the power company used. The elec. drills were guaranteed, good thing because we used up two of them. I still have the 24" wood boring bit I used. Picture standing near the top of the 40' ladder against a 50' tall pole only in the ground 5', then holding a drill 3' away from the beam to be drilled. Everything kinda swayed in the breeze. Building lasted over 50 years with very little maintenance.
              Jim, there's no way that would be allowed on a modern construction site. Those holes were a potential death trap without something shoring up the sides. But it does sound like an excellent building.
              Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                Back on topic, we see that misinformation about Harris's citizenship status is playing a major role in the election campaign.

Newsweek again? When did that magazine become a tabloid gossip rag? Used to be a reputable outfit.

Comment

PH, When you have some idle time in your brain see if you can come up with a design for an accessory for a VOM meter that would hold the leads in a neat way and fit on a variety of shapes of hand held meters. I have been thinking of this for some time and so far no go.

Comment

Honker -
                    The print media has been suffering for years.
                    Desperate times, desperate measures.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post

Newsweek again? When did that magazine become a tabloid gossip rag? Used to be a reputable outfit.
                      ---------------------
                      What you two clowns know about immigration law and citizenship requirements wouldn't fill a sewing thimble.

Newsweek crossed over to the liberal "darkside" long ago.

Comment

So tell us, blubber, is Kamala Harris a U.S. citizen or not?
                        Yes or no.
                        No speeches and no insults.

Comment

From #1 Bubba- "What you two clowns know about immigration law and citizenship requirements wouldn't fill a sewing thimble."

Hey, #1 Bubba, what those two clowns do know about anything wouldn't fill a sewing thimble!

Comment

I love posting factual comments that can only be answered by personal insults from the other side.
                            It's like taking candy from a baby!

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                              From #1 Bubba- "What you two clowns know about immigration law and citizenship requirements wouldn't fill a sewing thimble."

Hey, #1 Bubba, what those two clowns do know about anything wouldn't fill a sewing thimble!
                              I was just trying to be kind! 😂!🤣!

Comment

Keep it up.
                                We are still waiting for an answer to my question in comment #56.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad