No announcement yet.

16 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think George Soros is a bit overworked in these conspiracy theories, and deserves a little rest.

"Soros' philanthropy and support for progressive causes has made him the object of a large number of conspiracy theories, most of them originating from the political right..
    Veronika Bondarenko, writing for Business Insider said that "For two decades, some have seen Soros as a kind of puppet master secretly controlling the global economy and politics."
    The New York Times describes the allegations as moving "from the dark corners of the internet and talk radio" to "the very center of the political debate" by 2018.

Soros has become a magnet for such theories, with opponents claiming that he is behind such diverse events as the 2017 Women's March, the fact-checking website Snopes, the gun-control activism engaged in by the survivors of the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, the October 2018 immigrant caravans, and the protests against then-Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
      Pighunter: Someone on here some years back made a big deal about being Jewish and not caring for Christian morality shoved in his face. I couldn't remember if that was you. As I said, I didn't mean to offend a person's religious preference. It is not supposed to matter given mine.

It seems any time someone makes a thoughtful non conservative response in a political dialogue on here they are branded as having a "superior attitude." That elitist crap wears very thin with me. I have also done my time working at the mills and in the woods. Just because I worked hard to get a PhD, don't toe the NRA line against any and all gun control, and refuse to look the other way while Trump makes a fool of America on a daily basis, doesn't mean I'm a flaming snobby elitist liberal. I am my own person and proud of it.
      Nope, it wasn't me. I'm circumcised but definitely not Jewish. My ancestors are mainly from Scotland and Ireland and not from the Middle East. I've been accused of being amoral when it comes to sexuality but I have a personal code of conduct and there's some lines even I won't cross. In general, for most situations, I follow Christian morality.

As you know, I disagree with you on President Trump. I like the man and appreciate what he's done to help our nation. There's no regrets about having voted for him and he will definitely have my vote in November.
      Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

The Lincoln Project has set a target of peeling off the support of 4% of Republican voters to assure the defeat of Donald Trump in November.
        That means one in 25 GOP voters who have seen enough of Trump in 3 1/2 years to say they've seen enough.

https://news.yahoo.com/lincoln-proje...165250112.html

The Lincoln Project is a conservative REPUBLICAN political action committee dedicated to the removal of President Trump.
        Last edited by 99explorer; 08-13-2020, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Fauci and Gates loaned money to the Wuhan Laboratory.
          Soros is part owner of 'Fact Check'.
          Bill Gates believes the Earth has twice as many people as it can support. I will let you finish the rest of that statement.

Comment

Jimbo -
            This picture could be the basis of that rumor.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ob...tes-wuhan-lab/

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
              I would like to remind you all that Biden started the race and sex bs when he stated he was going to pick a black woman for a running mate. Not the person most qualified for the position of vice president of the United States, but specifically a black woman. If the most qualified person was a black woman that would be great, but to select a running mate on those criteria alone is doing a great disservice to the country.
              I knew it was pretty much a done deal for a woman many months ago but I don't recall Biden actually personally committing to it. Wouldn't surprise me though.

I have no use for that kind of affirmative action BS. The US Park Service was rife with AA abuse. As a disabled vet I had ten point hiring preference. That meant I received ten extra points on the hiring score and no non vet could be hired over me. I cannot ever remember scoring less than 100% (several times 110%). Given my level of education and years of experience, that was not surprising (also the scoring criteria were often dumbed down for the benefit of a minimally qualified desired applicant). Seldom was I hired by an agency that actually wanted me. Usually the opposite because I threw a monkey wrench into the affirmative action hiring quotas or I bumped out someone's spouse or girlfriend. I once had a park supt from Texas call and offer me the job I applied for but told me he was only making me the offer because vet preference required him to. Then he warned me I better not accept because he wanted a Hispanic gal and she was going to wind up with the job one way or another. Really didn't want to live in Texas anyway. Yeah, I have no use for affirmative action quotas. At least Harris seems to be the best of the lot Biden was picking from ... which admittedly isn't saying much.
              Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-13-2020, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                Jimbo -
                This picture could be the basis of that rumor.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ob...tes-wuhan-lab/
                Oh boy. You'd think these guys would learn something from their "sources" ... of perpetual misinformation. Nope. Determined to step in every pile of poop those fabricators drop in the field for them.

Comment

"Some people who have no stories to tell..........blah, blah, blah"

And some people read old magazines for their stories, and make up a lot of nonsense on top of that.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                    "Some people who have no stories to tell..........blah, blah, blah"

And some people read old magazines for their stories, and make up a lot of nonsense on top of that.
                    Honk had to make up things, he had a new job every 6 mo. so no time to do all the things he said he has.

Comment

I tend to change employers about every three years. Trying to find one I can ride for the next 8 and sashay into retirement at 70.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                        I tend to change employers about every three years. Trying to find one I can ride for the next 8 and sashay into retirement at 70.
                        I had one for 20years and in business for myself for many more. If you count the time I worked for my Father in his trucking Company I have been working for about 60 years. When I started for my Father he said he would pay me a $1.00. I said great, $1.00 per hour, he said no, a $1.00 every two hours. My job was to do maintenance on the tractors, hook up to various trailers in the yard, start the engines in the winter, back the semi's into the building, air up tires and change flats, etc. I started when I was 13 (just old and strong enough to push the clutch in on the tractors).

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I had one for 20years and in business for myself for many more. If you count the time I worked for my Father in his trucking Company I have been working for about 60 years. When I started for my Father he said he would pay me a $1.00. I said great, $1.00 per hour, he said no, a $1.00 every two hours. My job was to do maintenance on the tractors, hook up to various trailers in the yard, start the engines in the winter, back the semi's into the building, air up tires and change flats, etc. I started when I was 13 (just old and strong enough to push the clutch in on the tractors).
                          Like you, I have been in the workforce since age 13 (my future first father-in-law's gun shop). Fifty-seven years. Plenty of time to have lots of jobs and education. I had the bad fortune to live through a couple of recessions that required moving on to something else. I worked many different seasonal jobs with the govt and even the permanent ones never lasted a year due to funding cuts or anti-vet politics. That is the great thing about 10-point vet preference: I could always get a job if a vacancy was posted. So why not move around and see the different park units ... and get paid for it? Well, it WAS the great thing about vets hiring preference. Since the Clinton administration that entitlement has been eroded constantly. At the end of my career hiring officials simply ignored vets preference with impunity and the Dept of Labour, who is supposed to enforce it, simply looked the other way. Very sad but typical US govt treatment of its vets. I also worked several different jobs while I was in college (Seasonal USFS work during BA and law clerk, cartographer [filled in for my wife during maternity leave], and university teaching assistant during MA. During PhD I did some consulting work and edited a historic document translation project from home). The upshot is grass never grew under my feet during my working career(s). It made for an interesting life and the pace was physically good for me. It still shows in my waistline today. Mentally it was incredibly stimulating. The downside is we always knew there wouldn't be much retirement fund waiting at the end. But that was okay. My wife was taking care of that. Our plan was to keep my oar in at the US Park Service till she retired and then start touring/working the different units seasonally like I was doing when we met. She loved the travel and adventure. But that plan died when the semi trailer's wheels crushed her ten years ago. Nevertheless I will end my years extremely comfortable, thanks to her. If each African hunting trip cost $16K (which is slightly more than what last year's trip cost, all inclusive of flight and taxidermy fees), I could pay for more more than 130 future trips ... without borrowing a dime or selling any real estate. I sometimes think about going back to the NPS and resuming our plan. I do miss the travel and interesting work (do NOT miss working for NPS). But if I went back to work, I'd just be forcing some young person out of a job. Can't do that. I've had my time. Now it's their turn.

Some of you sedentary types find my kind of life hard to imagine. I understand that. Being sedentary tends to stifle imagination and creativity. Another reason I chose my path. It's the only life I'll get. May as well make the most of it. Accumulating a pile of wealth and "stuff" is really pointless in the grand scheme of things. Experiencing and learning new things is priceless. Beyond value. I pity those who are critical and don't understand that.
                          Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-14-2020, 12:19 PM.

Comment

From jhjimbo -"Honk had to make up things, he had a new job every 6 mo. so no time to do all the things he said he has."

Got that right, jimbo. Also sounds like the honkster got fired a lot. If he had half the jobs he has claimed, I don't think he could have lasted 6 months on every one. Not to mention all the hunting and fishing he has allegedly done. Not enough time in three lifetimes. But..... there are always the magazines to glean a good story from.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Like you, I have been in the workforce since age 13 (my future first father-in-law's gun shop). Fifty-seven years. Plenty of time to have lots of jobs and education. I had the bad fortune to live through a couple of recessions that required moving on to something else. I worked many different seasonal jobs with the govt and even the permanent ones never lasted a year due to funding cuts or anti-vet politics. That is the great thing about 10-point vet preference: I could always get a job if a vacancy was posted. So why not move around and see the different park units ... and get paid for it? Well, it WAS the great thing about vets hiring preference. Since the Clinton administration that entitlement has been eroded constantly. At the end of my career hiring officials simply ignored vets preference with impunity and the Dept of Labour, who is supposed to enforce it, simply looked the other way. Very sad but typical US govt treatment of its vets. I also worked several different jobs while I was in college (Seasonal USFS work during BA and law clerk, cartographer [filled in for my wife during maternity leave], and university teaching assistant during MA. During PhD I did some consulting work and edited a historic document translation project from home). The upshot is grass never grew under my feet during my working career(s). It made for an interesting life and the pace was physically good for me. It still shows in my waistline today. Mentally it was incredibly stimulating. The downside is we always knew there wouldn't be much retirement fund waiting at the end. But that was okay. My wife was taking care of that. Our plan was to keep my oar in at the US Park Service till she retired and then start touring/working the different units seasonally like I was doing when we met. She loved the travel and adventure. But that plan died when the semi trailer's wheels crushed her ten years ago. Nevertheless I will end my years extremely comfortable, thanks to her. If each African hunting trip cost $16K (which is slightly more than what last year's trip cost, all inclusive of flight and taxidermy fees), I could pay for more more than 130 future trips ... without borrowing a dime or selling any real estate. I sometimes think about going back to the NPS and resuming our plan. I do miss the travel and interesting work (do NOT miss working for NPS). But if I went back to work, I'd just be forcing some young person out of a job. Can't do that. I've had my time. Now it's their turn.

Some of you sedentary types find my kind of life hard to imagine. I understand that. Being sedentary tends to stifle imagination and creativity. Another reason I chose my path. It's the only life I'll get. May as well make the most of it. Accumulating a pile of wealth and "stuff" is really pointless in the grand scheme of things. Experiencing and learning new things is priceless. Beyond value. I pity those who are critical and don't understand that.
                              You have certainly led an interesting life, and memories are priceless.

Comment

Well, I've got you both beat. My Dad had me snaking logging cable for pay at 9 years old. Of course I did more as I got older and stronger. Had my first non-family employment at age 13 sorting fasteners for a construction company. At 16 I was a garbage man and worked as a retail clerk. The summers at 17 and 18 found me on a road paving crew, laying asphalt on county roads. During college I worked in a greenhouse, in a library, in a coal mine, and at a Liquid Natural Gas receiving terminal. In graduate school I was a Teaching Assistant in both the Business and Electrical Engineering departments.

After getting the Engineering degree and my first Master's degree, I supervised production lines in an electrical equipment facility and in a ductile iron pipe foundry. I was a professional trainer for a while, teaching engineers and operators how to use automation equipment. I've programmed Distributed Control Systems for chemical processes and machines. One job took me to South America to implement conveyor controls, loading coal onto barges. I've done controls for underground mines too. The deepest underground I've been is about 1400 meters. I've also done the conveyor controls for the construction of a 600 foot high earth dam.

I've spent almost 10 years of my career in sales and marketing. So I'm very comfortable with public speaking and talking off the cuff. The last 16 years though has been mainly in design engineering, technical management, and construction management. I'm licensed and can seal electrical documents in over a dozen states.

Yep, I'm sedentary in most of my week, pushing a mouse and punching a keyboard. But in no way does that "stifle imagination and creativity". If anything, the constant need to learn, design, and communicate helps to keep my mind fresh. I naturally carry a lot of muscle and extra weight so no worries OHH. I wouldn't have any problem dragging your scrawny ass out of a bad situation. Just don't ask me to run or go up hills fast

EDIT: If I had to do it all again, I would have become a Gynecologist and worked my way through college being a paid gigolo to older women... just saying.
                                Last edited by PigHunter; 08-14-2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad