Cheaper Than Dirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheaper Than Dirt

Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to.

I just scored a couple boxes of Hornady 9mm 115g Critical Defense from Midway USA for $66, including tax, shipping, and NRA round up. This is my carry load. Last week I bought 100 rounds of FMJ 115gr from a local shop to top off my inventory. It was nearly twice pre-Covid prices.

I already had an adequate amount of 9mm going into 2020, but it doesn't hurt to have a little more.

Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      I just scored a couple boxes of Hornady 9mm 115g Critical Defense from Midway USA for $66, including tax, shipping, and NRA round up. This is my carry load. Last week I bought 100 rounds of FMJ 115gr from a local shop to top off my inventory. It was nearly twice pre-Covid prices.

I already had an adequate amount of 9mm going into 2020, but it doesn't hurt to have a little more.

I have a variety of supply but any new additions are Remington Black Belt. I like the concept stemming from the Power-Belt used in the ML which I had good results with.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I have a variety of supply but any new additions are Remington Black Belt. I like the concept stemming from the Power-Belt used in the ML which I had good results with.
        The Critical Defense 115g is designed for shorter barrels and lighter recoil. Here's an ammo test from YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiWMo9GFrws
        Last edited by PigHunter; 08-12-2020, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy bullets when I ask them - they feel they perform better. In the video he forgets to mention the belt helps center the bullet and leave less fouling with a tighter seal, just like the ML Power-Belt.
          http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...ack-belt-ammo/

Comment

I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result in slower accurate following shots. My primary carry is a subcompact with shorter barrel. Thus, it's light and that's the reason I go with lighter bullets.

Additionally, my criteria includes having a carry gun that can be easily used by PigHuntress in case I'm incapacitated or out of the picture for any other reason. The lighter projectile / recoil greatly helps her maintain shots on target.

A heavier bullet that misses is worthless other than potentially hurting a bystander.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result in slower accurate following shots. My primary carry is a subcompact with shorter barrel. Thus, it's light and that's the reason I go with lighter bullets.

Additionally, my criteria includes having a carry gun that can be easily used by PigHuntress in case I'm incapacitated or out of the picture for any other reason. The lighter projectile / recoil greatly helps her maintain shots on target.

A heavier bullet that misses is worthless other than potentially hurting a bystander.
              Remember the Remington 51-R has the barrel just above the hand so the recoil comes straight back, one of the selling features of the pistol. You should get your short barrel ported to mitigate the muzzle flip.

Remington R51 | Remington

https://www.remington.com/handguns/r.../remington-r51
              Re-engineered from the ground up and thoroughly tested to deliver ultimate reliability, the perfected R51 gets you on target faster and more intuitively than any other subcompact on the market. Add 25% less muzzle flip and a sleek, ergonomic design, and it's exactly what you need to shoot your best in worse-case scenarios.

Here is Howard after his R-51 was returned from Remington. All FTF were magazines.
              Howard is a Police Chief and I run into him on the 300 yd range on occasion. He shoots a AR at Camp Perry on our team. His target at the 300 yd is slightly bigger than a playing card.
              After he tried my R-51 he bought his and now says it may be his favorite EDC handgun.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1spyYnDKjE
              Last edited by jhjimbo; 08-12-2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I have been carrying my R-51 all summer but my next trip to camp I think I will take my Glock .40. The Big Foot Research people came up and made a cast of a foot print and someone else said they spooked one nearby. The town 7 miles away had one looking in a dumpster. A big State Park about 30mi. away has had sightings for years and is believed to have a family living in the Park boundaries Click image for larger version

Name:	BFRO making  cast.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	6.06 MB
ID:	741900 .

Comment

I hear ya Jim. We have no rumors of the Big Guy here, but there is the occasional black bear and I know hunters who swear they've seen cougar. For a sidearm in the field, I'll be relying on my .357 Magnum since I've just sold my Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad