Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annual motorcycle rally in Sturgis, South Dakota.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual motorcycle rally in Sturgis, South Dakota.

"For more than 10 days every year, the sleepy city of Sturgis, South Dakota, is inundated with up to 700,000 bikers from around the world for its annual motorcycle rally.

Bikers from around the US and abroad mount their bikes and ride through the Black Hills mountain range, visiting national parks and campgrounds within a 100-mile radius of the city.

When they arrive in Sturgis for the main events, the men and women flood the streets, renting homes or front yards from residents so they can park their bikes and trailers, or pitch their tents.

They fill the local bars, restaurants, and, in some cases, the emergency room. Their presence brings more than $1 million in revenue to the city where it houses its own full-time, year-round department dedicated to planning for the event."

https://news.yahoo.com/literally-imp...231030345.html

"The city is doing its best to encourage people to wear masks, which are known to help prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, but it really has no enforcement power. In order to enact an ordinance requiring that masks be worn, South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem must order it.

During opening weekend, most people flouted the advice and went maskless even in packed bars and restaurants."

Comment

When the smoke clears on this fiasco, Sturgis, S.D. will be the most famous city in the U.S.A.

Comment

I think they should lock them all up in Sturgis for at least two weeks. In the unlikely event none of them tested positive at the end of the period, give them back their keys. Anybody gets sick, then no one leaves till all test clean for COVID19. In the meantime the town of Sturgis can foot the bill for feeding and lodging everyone. It's only fair. Very stupid!

Comment

How can so many horses asses still be alive? If this horrendous Chinese death virus is such a killer shouldn't all these crazed bikers already be dead? Up the #ss of the critical class. Do it and let's see what happens. I'd do it with some hydroxychloroquine but that's just me.

​but that's just me. I'm in Alaska after driving 3000 miles through riots, and looting, and a pandemic. Cower if you want to, enjoy life if you can.

Comment

The virus is what it's always been
            1) The incubation time is still about 2 wks
            2) In bright sunny areas with high humidity, the virus dies in the air quickly (I don't know if you've ever been to Sturgis, but since its in SD a lot of the buildings are built to try and take advantage of ambient light so SD in August is bright and sunny
            3) The majority of people will either be immune to it, be asymptomatic, or so mildly affected as to confuse it for summer

The last estimate I read is that up to 45% of those infected (which is different than total population) we asymptomatic or very mildly symptomatic.

Moreover, it is being vastly under-reported about the cross-reactivity of people's immune systems and people that have never and could never have been exposed to this virus are showing T-Cell responses. In short, past exposure to related cousins of this virus (like the common cold) is already inferring some level of immunoresponse.

Comment

It would seem a lot of folks in Houston hospitals right now may disagree with your theory about areas with lots of sun and humidity being more immune to COVID19.

Comment

Here is an update on the rally.

https://news.yahoo.com/84-arrests-ma...213115283.html

Comment

Here is a link to a trailer for 1992's "Mr. Baseball," starring Tom Selleck

https://youtu.be/jywTtvKbTO0

Comment

Here is another update on the rally.
                    It's looking worse by the minute.

https://news.yahoo.com/sturgis-motor...231936151.html

Comment

Here is a video about how Kleenex tissues are made.

https://youtu.be/WTOw7VMHXKc

Comment

And here is the latest word from Sturgis.
                        Those bikers know no fear.
                        A stallion has to run...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...rally-n1236409

Comment

The sad thing is the half million revelers in Sturgis will go home and infect their communities.
                          Second-hand Harley Davidsons will be going very cheap in a few months time.

Last edited by 99explorer; 08-12-2020, 12:17 PM.

Comment

According to:

Fatality Analysis Reporting System, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

On average, around just less than 5000 motorcycle fatalities occur in the US per annum, with around 90,000 injuries reported for the same time frame.

I don't ride a motorcycle, but I am still deathly afraid of dying on one, and wish them to be banned. Statistics don't lie.

Comment

I've been riding since 1968. I don't do rally's like Sturgis and Daytona. I've riden across the country multiple times. I even had my bike with me in Alaska last year. Bucket list check off!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad