Good morning everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good morning everyone

Looks like most of the regular crew is on right now, what's everyone's plan for the day? I'm packing up gear and headed on the hill to shoot some rifles shortly, just waiting on the fog to burn off.

Have a good one fellas.

Mornin' Fitch-
    Main plan for the day is to wait out the rain coming in and try to make it to the barbershop. Had planned on a range trip, but with the rain, probably a lot of ranges, especially the 200 yd. closed.
    Can't shoot over standing water. I will wait 'til tomorrow and give the shotguns a workout with the trapshooters. Have a good day!
    crm

Comment

Quick trip to the flea market. My dodge Grand Caravan is working out good. 20mpg average around town. The few trips I have taken it has reached 25mpg. Was at a dealer and their tire alignment shows one front tire is off 1 deg on castor. They say there is no adjustment and it will run o.k. The other thing is the high rpm start even on a 80deg morning takes almost a minute to get down to idle. Got to talk to them about that. They said the transmission cooling lines are leaking a little - the total job is $300. Seems like a lot for some hoses.

Comment

Today I'm finishing the build of a phenomenal 6.5 PRC elk hunting rifle. It has a titanium Tuebor action (awesome) with a 22" Proof Research barrel on a Grayboe light weight stock. This is a real light weight long range thumper that you can carry over your shoulder all day.

Later this afternoon, I hope to get to chambering a home-made AR-15 barrel. I have a take-off 26" 6mm Creedmoor Bartlein 8 twist barrel that has a burned throat after 3000 rounds. The rifling is still pretty good so I cut the bad throat out and still have enough decent rifling to support a 22" heavy barrel. I've cut and threaded the barrel already and installed the barrel extension. I rented a 6mm Grendel reamer from 4-D Reamer Rentals and will cut it in that. My other upper parts should arrive today or tomorrow so I can finish contouring the barrel, cut the gas hole and install it and test it. I'm hoping that it will shoot as accurately as a 6mm PPC bolt rifle but time will tell. Once this experiment over, I'll most likely order a new barrel and cut it the same way for a 6mm ARC (or maybe I'll stay with the 6mm Grendel). It has just been so hard to get a 6mm ARC reamer that I just went with the 6mm Grendel for now. Next week I'll try to develop some loads to test it.

My rifle building hobby has been in full swing and I've built some mighty fine rifles during the Pandemic because I've been sequestered since February and hate watching TV all day. I've read lots of books but prefer rifle building for the fun of it.

I recently completed a blazing 6.5x284 Lapua for F-Class competition. It has a 30" Bartlein 8 twist no-taper barrel on a Pierce titanium action, bedded in a Masterpiece Arms chassis with a Bix 'n Andy 1.5 oz trigger. Shooting the Berger 153.5g, it is lights out at 500 meters. Tomorrow I test it at 600 yards.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1768.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	547.5 KB
ID:	740837Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1774.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	500.1 KB
ID:	740838 Daughter found one of these at a yard sale yesterday and got it for me. I don't have need but brother could use them so I'll head that way today sometime. Probably with a pistol of some sort. Mod & full so I guess ic in a gun somewhere and they never plan to swap(?) Oh well, worth the $2 or $3 bucks I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1768.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	547.5 KB
ID:	740837Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1774.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	500.1 KB
ID:	740838 Daughter found one of these at a yard sale yesterday and got it for me. I don't have need but brother could use them so I'll head that way today sometime. Probably with a pistol of some sort. Mod & full so I guess ic in a gun somewhere and they never plan to swap(?) Oh well, worth the $2 or $3 bucks I guess.
            Winchoke is same as old style Browning Invector chokes. What is 3-in-One?

Comment

Mix 16 bags of concrete, and set a big steel post.

Comment

Disassembled some pallets for the wood. Always got an eye out for discarded oak pallets.
                The Boss is all hot under the collar to get monthly shopping done. Soon as I cool a bit, I'll shower and we'll head to town.
                Have I told anyone lately how much I hate Wally World?😠

Comment

Good morning, very impressive Dakotaman! I'm not that motivated and will spend some of the day reading and obviously posting on here.

However, I'm going to do some yard work, then start loading a variety of bullets for the .308 Remington 788. This is a continuation of my experiment with IMR 4064 that I started with the .30-06 Remington 7400.

With the .30-06, I've loaded the following using Remington brass and CCI 200 primers. I plan to do the same for the .308

> Barnes 120gr TAC-TX
                  > Barnes 150gr TSX BT
                  > Hornady 150gr RN InterLock
                  > Hornady 150gr SP InterLock
                  > Hornady 150gr SST
                  > Nosler 150gr B-Tip

Last Tuesday at the range, I shot 10 rounds each of the B-Tips, SST, and TAC-TX off sandbags. The most promising was the SST with the first 4 rounds going into 1-1/8 inches at 100 yards. The B-Tips were just so-so and the TAC-TX spread out like a shotgun blast. However, I chronographed those 120gr black tips at over 3100 fps. That's pretty good for a carbine length 7400!

I'm starting to suspect the muzzle crown as the cause of fliers. Here's a pic with my cell phone. You can see it's a little rough even though the cell phone photo is slightly blurred. I'm considering taking it to my gunsmith friend for a little touch-up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200730_153142a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	241.4 KB ID:	740843
                  Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Winchoke is same as old style Browning Invector chokes. What is 3-in-One?
                    3 guns refers to Mod, Full, Ic gives you the versatility of owning 3 fixed choked shotguns. It was a different world back then.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                      I'm starting to suspect the muzzle crown as the cause of fliers. Here's a pic with my cell phone. You can see it's a little rough even though the cell phone photo is slightly blurred. I'm considering taking it to my gunsmith friend for a little touch-up.
                      My African hunting buddy is a gunsmith and he recessed the crown on my 30-06 Springfield. Good plan. That way I can travel with it in vehicle muzzle down without worries of buggering the crown.

Check your brass for defects. Worn out cases was the cause of a few of my range flyers.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                        3 guns refers to Mod, Full, Ic gives you the versatility of owning 3 fixed choked shotguns. It was a different world back then.
                        But only two chokes in the bag? Interesting spanner wrench for tightening. Never seen that before. Most choke wrenches fit inside the bore.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                          Good morning, very impressive Dakotaman! I'm not that motivated and will spend some of the day reading and obviously posting on here.

However, I'm going to do some yard work, then start loading a variety of bullets for the .308 Remington 788. This is a continuation of my experiment with IMR 4064 that I started with the .30-06 Remington 7400.

With the .30-06, I've loaded the following using Remington brass and CCI 200 primers. I plan to do the same for the .308

> Barnes 120gr TAC-TX
                          > Barnes 150gr TSX BT
                          > Hornady 150gr RN InterLock
                          > Hornady 150gr SP InterLock
                          > Hornady 150gr SST
                          > Nosler 150gr B-Tip

Last Tuesday at the range, I shot 10 rounds each of the B-Tips, SST, and TAC-TX off sandbags. The most promising was the SST with the first 4 rounds going into 1-1/8 inches at 100 yards. The B-Tips were just so-so and the TAC-TX spread out like a shotgun blast. However, I chronographed those 120gr black tips at over 3100 fps. That's pretty good for a carbine length 7400!

Click image for larger version Name:	20200730_153142a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	241.4 KB ID:	740843
                          You can get a "crowning ball" from Brownells or Midway USA.
                          Valve grinding compound and either a cordless or electric drill and it will slick it right up!
                          easy peasy.
                          Biggest key is don't get in a hurry and press down on the drill. Just keep wobbling the ball with the drill on medium speed.
                          NOT a 5 minute task. It'll take a little time.

It came from a garage sale. I figure one of the choke tubes is still installed in somebody's else's shotgun.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                            Disassembled some pallets for the wood. Always got an eye out for discarded oak pallets.
                            The Boss is all hot under the collar to get monthly shopping done. Soon as I cool a bit, I'll shower and we'll head to town.
                            Have I told anyone lately how much I hate Wally World?😠
                            Check sporting goods, some stores have been clearing out Rem 700’s in .223 for $179, among other deals.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Check sporting goods, some stores have been clearing out Rem 700’s in .223 for $179, among other deals.
                              ....but.....but......but.....I don't like .223 except in my AR.😕

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad