Is It Or Isn't It ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Or Isn't It ?

I thought the Handy Rifle was out of production. In Outdoor Life article on top 10 deer rifles the Handi Rifle is listed.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hu...B69QNYp-1kW90J
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 07-06-2020, 05:21 PM.

I dunno jimbo?
    The article says it was updated Aug of 2017.
    If I'm not mistaken, Marlin acquired H&R and then Remington acquired Marlin/H&R.
    I was also under the impression the "Handi" was no longer made.
    It really is a shame. The "Handi" is a really good beginner gun and an all around beat and bang around "truck" or "farm" gun.
    Oh well!

Comment

Remington quietly phased out the H&R / NEF Handi-Rifle in early 2015.

Harrington & Richardson (H&R) dates back to 1871 and went out of business in 1986. H&R 1871 Inc. was formed in 1991 and ceased production in 1999. In 2000, Marlin purchased H&R 1871, also acquiring the New England Firearms and Wesson & Harrington trademarks. As you may know, Remington purchased Marlin in January 2008.

H&R started producing single barrel shotguns in 1901. Of course the Handi-Rifle is a descendant but I can't find out when they were first produced.

The Handi had a resurgence about 15 years ago when Mississippi primitive weapons deer season regulations were amended to include single-shot cartridge rifles designed before 1900. While the Handi hasn't been around that long, the design dates back to somewhere in the 1800s. The regulation was amended again in 2013 to allow any legal weapon on private property, except during the early, antlerless-only season. The regulation went into effect in 2014 and the market effect was immediate with the sales drastically dropping. Granted, Mississippi wasn't the only place where they were sold but apparently the accountants at Remington didn't think the line was profitable enough to keep.

CVA filled the low priced single-shot market with its Hunter models but they are being replaced this year with their Scout models. I purchased and gave a CVA to my step grandson and was not impressed with the workmanship. But the rifle was functional and would no doubt be adequate for most deer hunting here in the Southeast.

Henry single shot rifles are relatively new on the market and I like their looks. They'll run you about $400 if you can find one. I'm hearing Henry is like other manufacturers and are having trouble delivering product to dealers.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/
      Attached Files
      Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Very interesting pighunter!
        Three big pluses in my book.
        1) iron sights
        2) top snap vs. H&R push button
        3) D&T for a scope

Downer in my book.
        I'd like to see a .22LR and maybe a .22 Hornet. Split the difference! A .22 Mag!
        Maybe even bring back the "Triple Deuce". (.222 Rem)

I like single shots in small calibers.

Comment

I wish First Blubber would stay off my posts. He comes on with nothing to say or diverts the thread in a non related direction. Why post only to say you have nothing to add?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            I wish First Blubber would stay off my posts. He comes on with nothing to say or diverts the thread in a non related direction. Why post only to say you have nothing to add?
            Why do you want to be an old sorehead jimbo?

Besides, it isn't YOUR "posts.". When you post on here, it belongs to Bonnier Corp.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to No-Drill Adjustable Cheek Riser
              by Ontario Honker Hunter
              Mine didn't slip around. I seem to recall some grippy stuff on the inside? Actually fit very tight.

My beef with neoprene is it can become
              Today, 07:02 PM
            • No-Drill Adjustable Cheek Riser
              by Buckshott00
              Jury's still out on the Prism Scope vs. the Holograph. I invite you guys to check out my pictures and review and cast a vote.

I've got...
              Yesterday, 04:45 PM
            • Reply to 16 Years
              by PigHunter
              Jim, there's no way that would be allowed on a modern construction site. Those holes were a potential death trap without something shoring up the sides....
              Today, 06:57 PM
            • 16 Years
              by jhjimbo
              So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
              08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
            • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
              by Ontario Honker Hunter
              Yeah. Too bad. Too bad this site doesn't have a moderator to flush BS artists like that noncontributory crm troll. He never gives up making a fool of...
              Today, 06:52 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X