I heard my first Cicada call last weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I heard my first Cicada call last weekend

Around here, that means you should dust off your boots, and make more effort to drag yourself out into the 70% humidity for some hunt preparation. Lord knows I need to go hunting. The world has gone crazy on me, I fear.

So far my fall preparations mostly involve a glass of whisky and some reading, with the AC set to maximum and the drapes drawn tight...although I still burn up some rifle ammo on a semi-regular schedule. How about you?

10-4 on the A/C "max" setting! LOL!
    Geez! I got 2.2" of rain this morning!
    Its gonna be "Houston humid" when the mercury hits high 90's tomorrow!

Squash and okra are going bonkers!
    Blackberries almost gone!
    Right now, hunting is the furthest thing from my mind!
    Top most is finishing up an AR I've swapped for a C.F. Martin guitar!

Comment

Say it's not true the Cicada are back - with their megaphones. Hard to get a good nights sleep at camp.

Comment

Didn't know what ya'll were writing about until I did a google search and up popped a locust. They sing down here from late May, early June right on through the fall. Sometimes in the right conditions, can be very similar to a rattlesnake rattle. (Later I did a locust search, and up popped a grasshopper!) Names must vary by location. Just one point of interest, I never have caught a fish on a locust, (cicada), but I have caught a ton of fish on grasshoppers (locusts).

Comment

Pretty much '06!
          I never tried fishing with a cicada but I've caught lot's of fish with grasshoppers! ...AND crickets!

I know it might be crazy, but in the spring, when bass hit top waters really good, I wonder how a cicada shaped bait that would "brrrrrrrrrr" on top of the water would work! LOL!

Comment

We're still in somewhat of a holding pattern here. Food plots are looking like a bust, I planted seed I'd bought too much of on clearance a couple years back and between old seed, the turkeys and crows chowing down and a dry spring/summer I have an awesome crop of grass and weeds growing. Tractor is still in the shop waiting on parts so it looks like a late do over.

Been doing a little camping and have a couple more long weekends booked. State campsites that are spread out and we keep to ourselves. Going to do a drive through tour of a college that the boy is interested in one of the trips, it's about 15 miles from the campsite. Won't get to talk with anyone but at least he can see the campus. Boy's been hitting the river a fair amount but I've only fished once other than while we've been camping. Should do something about that.

Haven't shot much, too hot and tired after work. Did luck into 3 bricks of CCI .22 ammo from one of my wife's subordinates at work. Good guy, he's in his late 20's with a Bachelor's degree and he's headed to Boot Camp the next couple weeks, then straight to Officer's School. Army Reserve, should be back in January but my wife thinks he may move on. He should be able to about write his own ticket but he does like this area so who knows. He's kind of a minimalist and is bugging a bit about leaving things behind so he's been giving some stuff away. Guess he figured we could use the ammo for league more than he needed it. I offered to pay him but he wouldn't take me up on it.

Plus side is I'll be going into fall with extra vacation time, plan on using it even if it's just around home.

Comment

Nuthin' wrong with a "Stay-cation"! Especially during deer season! LOL!
              The only thing that bothered me was that I had to go back to work to get some rest!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                Pretty much '06!
                I never tried fishing with a cicada but I've caught lot's of fish with grasshoppers! ...AND crickets!

I know it might be crazy, but in the spring, when bass hit top waters really good, I wonder how a cicada shaped bait that would "brrrrrrrrrr" on top of the water would work! LOL!
                Pick your color FB. Bet crappie would hit these on a straight retrieve as well.

https://www.rebellures.com/rebel-cri...r-fishing-lure

Comment

.Didn't know what ya'll were writing about until I did a google search and up popped a locust
                  We used to call them that too, back in the day.

Comment

Amflyer"We used to call them that too, back in the day."
                    Yep, got that from my grandparents. Never knew they were called anything else.

fitch270- Got those Crickahoppers in two sizes and different colors in my ultra light/trout box. They are deadly on panfish and even bass sometimes.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad