SCOTUS supports Electoral College!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCOTUS supports Electoral College!

In a unanimous vote, 9-0, SCOTUS backs, supports and declares the Electoral College is valid and MUST follow the will of the voters in their state!

WaPo, NY Slimes, NBC and even Chicken Noodle News (CNN) are reporting, reluctantly, the decision!
    Bet the news will only be a small "blurb" by the MSM! ...if reported at all!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...af1_story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/06/u...eme-court.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/polit...urt/index.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...toral-n1231394

They could not vote in any other manner, and follow the Constitution, and established law.

Comment

I don't understand the purpose of an electoral college if states can require the electors to pledge to a candidate. Isn't the point to prevent mob mentality? The constitution specifically moves to put them a free agents.

This seems like it's setting up a fight at some point in the future where a Faithless Elector is punished, fights it in court under Article II and the 1st and 12th amendments. At which point, our election system will change dramatically from a legislation on the bench as opposed to a Constitutional Amendment.
      Splitting Electors will just be more of the same. The electoral college will become meaningless just another popular vote...

SCOTUS 1952:
      ""no one faithful to our history can deny that the plan originally contemplated what is implicit in its text – that electors would be free agents, to exercise an independent and nonpartisan judgment as to the men best qualified for the Nation's highest offices"

Also, and this is a far distant point, seems like a good way to try and move 3rd parties out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
        I don't understand the purpose of an electoral college if states can require the electors to pledge to a candidate. Isn't the point to prevent mob mentality? The constitution specifically moves to put them a free agents.

This seems like it's setting up a fight at some point in the future where a Faithless Elector is punished, fights it in court under Article II and the 1st and 12th amendments. At which point, our election system will change dramatically from a legislation on the bench as opposed to a Constitutional Amendment.
        Splitting Electors will just be more of the same. The electoral college will become meaningless just another popular vote...

SCOTUS 1952:
        ""no one faithful to our history can deny that the plan originally contemplated what is implicit in its text – that electors would be free agents, to exercise an independent and nonpartisan judgment as to the men best qualified for the Nation's highest offices"

Also, and this is a far distant point, seems like a good way to try and move 3rd parties out of the way.
        Case in point.
        Oklahoma just voted on SQ 802 (state question), the Medicaid Expansion. Of the 77 counties, only 7 voted "Yes". The remaining 70 counties voted "No".
        Of the 7 counties that voted in favor, the top 5 were the most populous counties in the state.
        So, though over 90% of the state voted no, it only took 10% to pass the expansion.

Basically, the most populous portions of the state, also dictate their ideas and ideals on the more rural, less populated areas.

Same with medical marijuana. Over 90% of the state DID NOT want it!
        Less than 10% dictated what 90% did not want.

If each county in Oklahoma had selected an "Elector" and that elector voted the wishes of each county, SQ 802 and "Medical Marijuana" would have failed, 7 to 70.

I can remember, vaguely, my shock and disbelief when learning about the Electoral College!
        Even now, it's hard for me to conceive in 1776, that our founders would be cognizant enough to realize the problem of a simple majority vote and come up with a solution.

It just isn't "fair" that major metro areas like LA and NYC dictate to Grey Bull, Wyoming and Doe Run, Kentucky.

-------

Let me back up a bit here. Sometime, way back when, somebody, decided that the selected "Electors" would be guided by the popular vote of the state.

I understand "why". So big population centers wouldn't overwhelm "flyover" America.

Last edited by FirstBubba; 07-06-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad