Either Way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Either Way...

gradually build up your survival items over the next 3 months.

I predict either way the Election goes there will be mass disruptions. JMO

highlight to read.

Yep, been building supplies since March. Our pantry and other consumables inventory is at an all time high. I'm keeping charcoal for cooking out, unscented bleach for treating water. Had plenty of ammo well before the start of the year.
    Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      Yep, been building supplies since March. Our pantry and other consumables inventory is at an all time high. I'm keeping charcoal for cooking out, unscented bleach for treating water. Had plenty of ammo well before the start of the year.
      TP, don't forget the TP

I try to think of things that are hard to make or that don't have substitutes.

I have two generator's and usually run each every 6 mo. Today a 3500 watt had a small leak in the fuel shut off valve - just drops. And, in looking at that I discover the line to carb is hard as a rock. I will fix both at same time. Ran it about 15 minutes and powered an industrial grade heat gun for a load. Economy idle worked fine and after a few minutes engine really smoothed out.
      My other is a 2000 from Harbor Freight - a real nice unit about 2 years old. I was just using it the other day so I know it is set to go. I found a place for alcohol free gas and have switched all my small engines over to it.
      Last edited by jhjimbo; 07-03-2020, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Been well prepared since obummer was immaculated.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
          Been well prepared since obummer was immaculated.
          I am to but have to also think of some relatives that are not and I will probably have to help them out - in every way. I did get them (three of them ) to arm themselves and we will go to the range Tues for live fire. I have them watching Brownells series of video's for new gun owners and reading Club range rules for starters.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I am to but have to also think of some relatives that are not and I will probably have to help them out - in every way. I did get them (three of them ) to arm themselves and we will go to the range Tues for live fire. I have them watching Brownells series of video's for new gun owners and reading Club range rules for starters.
            That's a good point. I've been getting Pighuntress to practice shooting from behind cover. The next session will be with her 20 gauge 870.
            Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

To NOT be prepared in this day and age is a sad mistake.
              We've got enough to "bug-out" should that become necessary.

Comment

When I got my carry permit the live fire was at a police range. It was all set up with mock houses so they had us shooting from behind cover, strong hand and weak hand shooting.

Comment

I agree with this wholly and have been advising those closest to me to remember the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper. Best to make hay while the sunshines, and be ready for whatever may come.

Comment

We've been keeping a better inventory on things and have whittled down on "old stock" that's been sitting on the pantry shelves and in the freezer. Even though the garden isn't there yet we have most everything needed for canning and freezing this year. Just this morning I went to my Aunt's to look for a pressure canner she said we could have, unfortunately the regulator was missing. If I can find a replacement part I'll put it back in service otherwise I'll buy a new one. We still have a fair amount of venison left that I'd like to try something different with and make room in the freezer. We also picked up a 50lb bag of flour a couple days ago and will be adding other dry goods as well. We have a well and a good spring on the hill so no issue there.

Mostly this is done to avoid possible inconvenience for awhile. If things go armegeddon bad it's going to take reinforcement type planning for the long term.

Comment

Do you freeze flour to kill any bugs ? I have gotten some small bugs if storage is at room temp. I have pet birds and I have to freeze the commercial Hartz seed I get or I get some tiny moth like bug.

Comment

fitch270, "National Canner" (I think?) carries the home canner pressure gauges and the little weights too.
                        Here's a link:

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com...oker-Parts.htm

jimbo, right now I've got about 50 pounds of cleaned wheat to grind into flour.
                        It's stored in an airtight container and "oxygen absorber" packets added in.
                        This is my first attempt, but it makes sense.

...and yes! Freezing flour will keep the bugs at bay until it's used.
                        Last edited by FirstBubba; 07-04-2020, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Being still trapped in Germany, I am well behind some of you in getting myself prepared. I have mentioned in a few posts just how close we are at this time to anarchy in America, but have not seen much response to that being a possible issue, or when ! From what I have read here, I applaud you guys for thinking ahead !!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                            fitch270, "National Canner" (I think?) carries the home canner pressure gauges and the little weights too.
                            Here's a link:

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com...oker-Parts.htm

jimbo, right now I've got about 50 pounds of cleaned wheat to grind into flour.
                            It's stored in an airtight container and "oxygen absorber" packets added in.
                            This is my first attempt, but it makes sense.

...and yes! Freezing flour will keep the bugs at bay until it's used.
                            Thanks FB, looks like I'll be cleaning that old canner up after all! Its ben sitting in a hand dug basement for over twenty years, probably over thirty. It's an old metal on metal style without a gasket. Guage is on it but the guts to the relief valve are missing. I'll order both a new style safety valve and guage.

We had four 5# bags of flour on the shelf at the start of this, I picked up two more a few weeks in when they had some at our supermarket. There's a place about 45 minutes away that deals in bulk baking supplies that's been stocked, we got a 50# bag about 6 weeks ago. We were down to the last storage tub, about 25#s worth. Been going through it fast enough to not need to freeze it, don't have room at this point anyway. We may end up buying another small freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Thanks FB, looks like I'll be cleaning that old canner up after all! Its ben sitting in a hand dug basement for over twenty years, probably over thirty. It's an old metal on metal style without a gasket. Guage is on it but the guts to the relief valve are missing. I'll order both a new style safety valve and guage.

We had four 5# bags of flour on the shelf at the start of this, I picked up two more a few weeks in when they had some at our supermarket. There's a place about 45 minutes away that deals in bulk baking supplies that's been stocked, we got a 50# bag about 6 weeks ago. We were down to the last storage tub, about 25#s worth. Been going through it fast enough to not need to freeze it, don't have room at this point anyway. We may end up buying another small freezer.
                              Our canner belonged to my paternal grandmother. It is also a metal-to-metal with no gasket.
                              No idea just how old it is! LOL! At least 70 years old that I know of!

There are a couple of places online where you can order either bulk flour OR bulk wheat to be ground.
                              The bulk wheat is a bit pricey when I can hit local wheat harvesters for a 5 gallon bucket of wheat. Two or three buckets and you have 50 pounds of wheat for nothing.

It's all about 50 pounds of grinding, sifting and regrinding the grist until it's what you want.

The next thing is getting a "corn & bean" augur for my grain mill so we can make cornmeal too.
                              Last edited by FirstBubba; 07-04-2020, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad