Medicaid Comes to Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medicaid Comes to Oklahoma

A little mentioned ballot measure passed in Oklahoma. Medicaid Expansion as it's called.

I've forgotten the details, and apologies if I have the exact numbers wrong, but for people at or below 125% of poverty in OK they qualify for Medicaid if they aren't already covered by other insurance. In an economic downturn as we look to be heading for this can be helpful. It's also good for rural hospitals, they can keep their doors open. Docs and hospitals love to complain about medicaid reimbursement rates, but they are a heck of a lot better than nothing.

When people can go to the doctor they can get treatment for serious issues. It's a big deal. I think this leaves only 13 states without. All the deep south don't have it except Louisiana, and Arkansas. In the north everyone has it except Wyoming, Sodak, Wisconsin, Kansas and Misserry.

It's not perfect, but it's a start.

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
    A little mentioned ballot measure passed in Oklahoma. Medicaid Expansion as it's called.

I've forgotten the details, and apologies if I have the exact numbers wrong, but for people at or below 125% of poverty in OK they qualify for Medicaid if they aren't already covered by other insurance. In an economic downturn as we look to be heading for this can be helpful. It's also good for rural hospitals, they can keep their doors open. Docs and hospitals love to complain about medicaid reimbursement rates, but they are a heck of a lot better than nothing.

When people can go to the doctor they can get treatment for serious issues. It's a big deal. I think this leaves only 13 states without. All the deep south don't have it except Louisiana, and Arkansas. In the north everyone has it except Wyoming, Sodak, Wisconsin, Kansas and Misserry.

It's not perfect, but it's a start.
    Fortunately Medicaid expansion failed in Kansas this year. We can't afford it.

Comment

Here is an economist explaining Medicaid expansion.

Last edited by Red Angus; 07-02-2020, 12:10 AM.

Comment

This week, liberal Gov. Laura Kelly of Kansas announced her plan to bring ObamaCare’s Medicaid expansion to the state, opening up the program to an unlimited number of able-bodied, working-age

Comment

Red thanks so much for your responses though I have to admit I'm not much for following links.

Living next door I have heard of the serious fiscal misadventures under your old governor and how much things have improved under the new one. Kansas is no longer a basket case.

I'm not sure why anyone would think that a state adopting the medicare expansion would end up costing a state money, and it's certainly possible, it's just that it hasn't happened yet. So far states end up saving money because the feds take up a bigger share of what the state pays alone now, incomes rise because there are more docs and nurses making income, hospitals stop closing because they have fewer people that use their services and then don't pay, and lastly more people are healthy because they can pay for the doctor.

I think other factors might be in play. I notice Kansas taxes the poor more than other states. Maybe y'all just got things backwards.

Comment

cock...er....rock roach speak with forked liberal tongue!

Arguing against Medicaid expansion in a February 2014 article, Michael Tanner, a fellow at the Cato Institute, states that Medicaid expansion is costly for states and does not provide better access to healthcare for low income individuals. Tanner argues that although states are required to pay at most 10 percent of costs for enrollees who became eligible under expanded programs, this still represents a significant cost increase for states. Tanner also argues that states will see greater costs than predicted as previously unenrolled individuals discover they are eligible under the traditional eligibility limits.[14]

Regarding healthcare access, Tanner cites a study from the Oregon Health Insurance Exchange, which "concluded that 'Medicaid coverage generated no significant improvements in measured physical-health outcomes.'" Tanner also states that "Other studies show that, in some cases, Medicaid patients actually wait longer and receive worse care than the uninsured." Tanner argues that this is due to Medicaid's level of reimbursement to doctors:[14]

“While Medicaid costs taxpayers a lot of money, it pays doctors little. On average, Medicaid reimburses doctors only 72 cents out of each dollar of costs. As a result, many doctors limit the number of Medicaid patients they serve or refuse to take them at all.[12]”—Michael Tanner

The National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) also advocated against Medicaid expansion in February 2017, arguing that the federal government may not always agree to cover 90 percent of the costs:[15]

“Our small business members have looked at this issue from every perspective and believe expanding an underfunded, cumbersome, and poorly administered program like Medicaid would be irresponsible. The bottom line is this: Does anyone really believe that Washington will continue to pick up 90 percent of new costs after 2020?[12]”—Gregg Thompson, state director of the North Carolina NFIB chapter

Comment

Living next door I have heard of the serious fiscal misadventures under your old governor and how much things have improved under the new one. Kansas is no longer a basket case.
              I do not consider higher taxes and more wasteful spending a improvement.

The biggest basket case currently in Kansas is the governor. She needs to go back to New York City where she belongs.
              Last edited by Red Angus; 07-02-2020, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I have not been impressed by any female Mayor, Governor, police chief or attorney general lately.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  I have not been impressed by any female Mayor, Governor, police chief or attorney general lately.
                  Checkout Gov. Kristi Noem (R - SD).
                  She's a "fire cracker"!

Comment

Make of it what you will, the only way Kansas could elect a liberal Democratic Governor is if the Republican governor when combined with a Republican legislature had run the economy so far into the ground they could no longer keep the lights on. It wasn't some esoteric racism or green new deal or anything, it was an out and out economic problem.

I can understand people's problems with taxes there, you must be poor if you pay a disproportionate share of income in taxes. Kansas is one of those places that taxes the poor people and gives money away like it's candy to rich folk.

I can also understand the very poorest states in American being reluctant to accept medicaid expansion. I mean what if destitute people began to get used to the idea that one trip to the doctor doesn't mean bankruptcy. What if we started to have a fetal mortality rate lower than Nigeria, oh the horror. Instead of hospitals turning people away they could treat them. I just can't imagine anything worse than people being able to go to the doctor like they can in the rest of the country.

Comment

People are treated in ER's all over the Country whether they can pay or not.

Comment

Make of it what you will, the only way Kansas could elect a liberal Democratic Governor is if the Republican governor when combined with a Republican legislature had run the economy so far into the ground they could no longer keep the lights on. It wasn't some esoteric racism or green new deal or anything, it was an out and out economic problem.

The current Kansas governor campaigned very hard on increasing school funding, abortion, and "common sense gun control", with am emphasis on school funding. Increasing school funding garnered a great deal of support in the large cities in the state, namely Lawrence, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Wichita, and Topeka.

Our biggest economic problem is that we are continually pumping money into a broken school system. I call it a broken school system because it ceased to be an education system years ago. It is currently, for the most part, a government run daycare that teaches kids what to think instead of how to think. History, logic, civics, spelling, and grammar have gone the way of the dinosaur. Instead students have drag queen story time at the public library and are taught how to play sports and have "safe" sex. Pumping more money into the current system is not the answer. We are already getting a very bad return on investment from the money that goes into the school system. The system needs a complete overhaul at a minimum.

​​​​​​​
                        As for taxes, you are undoubtedly familiar with property taxes. Kansas has very high property taxes and those of us in agriculture own most of the property.

Comment

OK Angus, you got me there. No argument about the schools.

"​​​​​​government run daycare that teaches kids what to think instead of how to think. History, logic, civics, spelling, and grammar have gone the way of the dinosaur. Instead students have drag queen story time at the public library and are taught how to play sports and have "safe" sex. Pumping more money into the current system is not the answer."

I quoted it because it bears repeating.

Comment

No sir!
                            Medicare comes to the (D) s#¡tholes in Oklahoma.
                            Only 7 counties of 77 counties passed the b.s. expansion.

https://oklahomawatch.org/2020/07/01...aid-expansion/

Once again, 95% of a state is held hostage to the desires of its' liberal population centers.
                            This is why the "Electoral College" is so important!

We all know HRC won the popular vote, but thanks to the Electoral College, America isn't saddled by an addled HRC because New York and the "Left" Coast are liberal!
                            Last edited by FirstBubba; 07-06-2020, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Bubba I know this is going to surprise the heck out of you but wheat and watermelons might be what you think is the state of OK, but for electoral purposes it's people, and the people of Oklahoma voted. Don't like it? Move to North Korea with Trump's buddy Kim. You're welcome to take every gall danged disenfranchised water melon and peanut with you.

No one is even forcing you to use Medicaid, amongst the other types of government hand outs you get.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad