No announcement yet.

Bad news on the COVID-19 front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first official vaccine results from Israel show that the Pfizer vaccine offers substantial protection from Covid--19.

https://news.yahoo.com/pfizer-vaccin...132223210.html

The numbers show that the vaccine is at least 92% effective.
    Last edited by 99explorer; 01-29-2021, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
      Prince Andy is allowing full contact winter sports to resume in schools on Monday. Announced less than a week after the inauguration. Our numbers are probably as high as they’ve been since the get go. Friggin amazing.
      Not sure who prince Andy is, some PA state official? I hadn't looked at your county in a long time. I'm sorry. It was so good for so long. I guess it's like everywhere else. Wishing you and all your family health.

Comment

• You may be thinking of Lab12. I'm in NY, land of Cuomo.

We get reported numbers but no details, overall we've been fortunate in this area.

Side note while I'm here. I've had a few family members on each side catch the bug. An 84 year old uncle who's had three serious stokes this past year picked it up from his daughter. He ended up in the hospital for a few days before being released, spent a few days at home before pneumonia set in. Couple days back in the hospital then back home. Rough go but has had that kind of year. He said after the first stroke he wasn't ready for a toe tag yet, guess he meant it. Told me last year getting old ain't for pu&$!×. He ain't one.

On the other side, a 90 year old aunt with dementia also picked it up from her daughter as well, a HS teacher who caught it from another teacher. My aunt lives with my cousin, cousin and her husband headed to Florida over Christmas break to visit their daughter and infant grandchild. Did the same over Thanksgiving. While driving back her and her husband weren't feeling well, got the call from her older sister, who had mom staying with her and her husband, that my aunt had started running a fever, got tested and was positive. Cousin and husband got tested when they got home and were positive, figured out the contact. Ironically my cousin is one of the biggest Trump haters in the family. We get along well despite political differences. Didn't hear that anyone else in that clan got it even after being exposed.

So far all's well that ends well.

Comment

• Seen the latest from NY state? Cuomo knew and covered up the fact that his orders to put Covid19 patients into nursing homes killed thousands.

Comment

• Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
            Seen the latest from NY state? Cuomo knew and covered up the fact that his orders to put Covid19 patients into nursing homes killed thousands.
            Yes sir! I saw that!
            Cuomo is a schmuck of the highest order and should be sentenced to life in the electric chair! 😜! LOL!

https://citizenfreepress.com/breakin...out-the-truth/

...and here, the NEJM, a most renowned medical journal sayi g just what they think of masks!
            "Folliw the science!" my a$$!

https://citizenfreepress.com/breakin...on-looks-like/

Comment

• That material is dated May 2020. You are behind the times.

Comment

• Donald Trump was sicker with COVID-19 in October than publicly acknowledged at the time, with extremely depressed blood oxygen levels at one point and a lung problem associated with pneumonia caused by the coronavirus.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-sicker-...130938071.html

Comment

• Somewhat good news... The daily infection rate has been falling steadily and predictably and is now below 100,000 per day down from 200,000 (on average). Deaths Friday brought the average up above 3,000 again but it will fall, last week it was below 3K for the first time in a month. Death often takes a long time so numbers lag far behind.

A friend's sister in law just died. She had suffered horribly for more than 2 months on a ventilator.

Vaccines are de facto opening up to the general public. Friday they vaccinated over 2 million people.

Comment

• Florida and California have similar results even though the government approaches were very different. In a free society I think that the Florida model is way better for the vast majority of citizens than the California model. Florida maintains quality of life for the individual, California denigrates and represses the individual. Florida is run by Republicans, California is run by elitist Democrats.

Comment

• All the states and most Euro countries have used the same method. They stay fairly open but suggest masks, distancing, etc, as numbers creep up and scientists tell them holey heck is going to break lose they do some limiting of bars etc. but all on the honor system, then when they have to store people in the hallways of hospitals and they begin to overwhelm the health care system people hide and don't come out for anything. California and Florida are #4 and #1 for most deaths per 100,000. Not a very enviable place for either.

Only countries that can close borders and implement strict lockdown measures and do it all quickly have had any success. Even the countries that locked down strongly and early are still fighting things. Unless you are testing large segments of the population regularly, when the virus gets in, it goes undetected in asymptomatic cases with very little spread until one person becomes a super spreader then they have a hundred or more infections all at once and try to isolate a city or province. It's happened repeatedly in Vietnam, China, Australia, Taiwan, etc They've had much fewer cases and deaths, but they haven't defeated the virus, only delayed it.

Now they aren't sure how long it was spreading in China before detection in Wuhan. Some think it might have existed at very low levels in Yunnan for years but not spread. People in Yunnan commonly live very rural, no heat, open windows everywhere, they've found antibodies in the population. Urban populations that travel a lot are better incubators.

One thing I do know, we are best at vaccinations. We've vaccinated more people and a bigger percent of our population than almost anyone. Israel, UAE, and one other have done better. My state has put a million needles in arms. Maybe 20% of adults with at least one vax.

Comment

• You did not read my post about pro active testing. Wastewater plants are testing and when a positive they go up stream through various feeders until they get in the specific neighborhood. They have been doing this for College dorms for some time - they can narrow it down to a section of a floor.

Comment

• I got vaccinated today. The Pfizer vaccine. Next shot March 10.

Comment

• Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
                            I got vaccinated today. The Pfizer vaccine. Next shot March 10.
                            They say in a few days you should have some immunity, and by March 10 quite a bit, congrats.

Yes Jim I've heard of that wastewater stuff. Here they'd find a positive on every block, but it ought to help a lot when infection decreases.

Comment

• The African variant is not responding to the current vaccines. The Pfizer and Maderna are some 60% less effective on the african variant. they are working on a variant vaccine by tweaking it's make up. Also, they are trying mixing various vaccines together to see if they can get a better response.

Comment

• Pfizer and Moderna vaccines prove 92 percent effective with just 1st dose.

https://news.yahoo.com/pfizer-modern...193917869.html

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Speech
                                  by 99explorer
                                  No. That was an applause line.
                                  Plus another chance to repeat that he had won two elections , and might go for a third.
                                  Today, 10:00 AM
                                • Trump Speech
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Did you catch where Trump said he may even run for 'three' terms ? Is that a coded message ?...
                                  Today, 07:51 AM
                                • Reply to 1971 movie The Pacific
                                  by Danbo
                                  What's that got do when it was made? It was made in 2010 not 1971...
                                  Today, 08:39 AM
                                • 1971 movie The Pacific
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Has anybody watched the entire movie ? I watched segment 8 through 10 the other day. John Basilone (sp) was really something. I did not care for all...
                                  Yesterday, 02:19 PM
                                • Reply to 1971 movie The Pacific
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  You did not read my post. I said I watched segment 8,9 and10. The only thing I know of that is available in segments is the mini series....
                                  Today, 08:32 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X