Bad news on the COVID-19 front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From labrador12: "I think the Honkster is full of it."

I think you have formed the opinion that several of us, both current and past participants, have held for years.

Comment

• I believe Honker was one of the first of our members to spot Trump as a lawless scoundrel who drew a lot of support from the one-issue voters on our forum by saying he was a defender of the Second Amendment.

Comment

• Honks views on Trump are as misinformed as his views on grayling flies. No basis in reality.

Comment

• The CDC is projecting anothe r 90,000 dead in the next 3 weeks. If we stayed at current levels of death we'd only be at around 60,000 or 70,000. They must figure we're still on the upslope. Yesterday evening I went to the post office after it closed, I've noticed other folks from my part of town doing the same. It's the only place we can get mail, no home delivery for the old part of town. The restaurants are open again, supposedly for 25% or something, looked busy to me. Very nice restaurants, probably $50 a plate. Waitresses masked, diners not, people sitting around all unmasked and inside.

Looking at the weekly reports of "hot spots" (they use the same terminology as we use for forest fires) I notice two of our biggest were restaurants. 74 at one spot and 94 at another. All the major fast food chains, big box retailers, etc.

Comment

• More people in the US died from COVID-19 yesterday than died from the flu during the entire year of 2020. So much for blowing this pandemic off as normal flu season mortality.
            Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 01-14-2021, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• From honk the phony: "More people died from COVID-19 yesterday than died from the flu during the entire year of 2020. So much for blowing this pandemic off as normal flu season mortality."

honk the phony again displays his ignorance, and dependence on fake news. With every death of any cause being attributed to the chicom virus, any rational person would consider such claims to be media hype, and overblown, to say the least. However, one cannot expect rational thought from someone as deranged as honk the phony.

Comment

• Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
                Royal coachman and black gnat are the two go to flies for arctic grayling in my experience. Of course I've only fished for them in the Northwest Territories, Yukon, British Columbia and Alaska. I'm just talking multiple years, and drainages. The white wings allow me to see the fly. I think the Honkster is full of it.
                Sure, the coachman is a great fly for getting strikes from grayling ... and once the fish has chewed off the white wings it's good for hookups ... if there's anything left of the fly. Parachute flies similarly get selectively attacked at the wrong location (but they are a tougher built fly). Go with an overall light coloured dry fly that floats well like goofus bug. The goofus is made of deer hair and a lot tougher than the feather wings of traditional coachman. It floats better too. Truth be told, grayling, like most arctic fish, aren't that fussy about taking anything thrown on the water. Like everything else in the far north, they have a short season to fatten up before food sources dry up over the winter. Even after I released a grayling, I could get it to strike again almost immediately by tossing the same fly back to the same spot. That was unusual even for a voracious arctic fish. Edit: The exception to voracious vulnerability would be during salmon spawning season. There's so much food in the water (salmon flesh and eggs) it can be difficult to get a hit even when using egg flies. Wet or dry flies are pretty much a waste of time. Beads work the best. So well in fact that the regs where I lived specified that the bead had to be at least 1" above the hook ... to give the fish a chance. Also rainbows were strictly catch and release in the river there and bead 1" above hook reduced fatal hookups.

For grayling a royal coachman with tougher deer hair wings and tail would be my choice over a traditional all feather coachman, but grayling will still go for the white wings which makes hookups difficult. They are nibbly rascals.

Not only is a black gnat hard to see, it's even harder to keep on top of the water. Not sure I even have one in my flybox anymore. If I'm going to fish wet, I'll go with wooly bugger that has some flash.
                Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 01-14-2021, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                  From honk the phony: "More people died from COVID-19 yesterday than died from the flu during the entire year of 2020. So much for blowing this pandemic off as normal flu season mortality."

honk the phony again displays his ignorance, and dependence on fake news. With every death of any cause being attributed to the chicom virus, any rational person would consider such claims to be media hype, and overblown, to say the least. However, one cannot expect rational thought from someone as deranged as honk the phony.
                  Those are federal government reported statistics. Republican government. Yeah, they might be lying. Do the Republicans ever tell the truth? I see the Guards were called in to assist with the medical emergency in Houston. Makeshift morgues being set up there. But hey, it's all media lies right? Those body bags are stuffed with pillows. Yeah, that's it. Fake dead people.

A fool and his fake reality are never parted.

Comment

• From today's Boston Globe, via AP:

"A racing pigeon has survived an extraordinary 8,000-mile Pacific Ocean crossing from the United States to find a new home in Australia. Now authorities consider the bird a quarantine risk and plan to kill it."

Comment

• So what's one more lie?

"The governors of several states accused the Trump administration on Friday of deception in pledging to immediately distribute millions of COVID-19 vaccine doses from a stockpile that the U.S. health secretary has since acknowledged does not exist."

https://news.yahoo.com/scattered-u-v...193103180.html

Meanwhile, Donald Trump is working out the details for a 21-gun salute for himself to coincide with Joe Biden's inauguration cerenony.
                      Last edited by 99explorer; 01-16-2021, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• First day of over a million vaccines on Friday according to the Johns Hopkins chart (which seems to be the one most use). The deaths and infections also seem to be headed into better trajectories. Infections have dropped below 240K per day and deaths seem to have plateaued below 3500. All numbers smoothed using 1 week averaging. I've been overly optimistic before, I'm hoping that's not the case this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                          So what's one more lie?

"The governors of several states accused the Trump administration on Friday of deception in pledging to immediately distribute millions of COVID-19 vaccine doses from a stockpile that the U.S. health secretary has since acknowledged does not exist."

https://news.yahoo.com/scattered-u-v...193103180.html

Meanwhile, Donald Trump is working out the details for a 21-gun salute for himself to coincide with Joe Biden's inauguration cerenony.
                          Yeah, I saw something on the Seattle TV news about the stockpile lie. Someone has some explaining to do. To make matters worse Pfizer is cutting back production while they remodel facility to produce more of it. Canadian orders have been cut in half.

Trump gets to use Air Force One for the last time the morning of inauguration. In spite of events of the last week, seems he will still have trouble getting his head through the door of the plane.

Comment

• We seem to be vaccinating more than are being infected on a daily basis. We are still above 3k mortality per day, and have been for 10 days, and probably will continue to be for another 10 days. That's 30K dead since after our capitol riot.

I saw a chart of infection or legislators by party. Seems like Republicans get infected at twice the rate of Democrats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                              More people in the US died from COVID-19 yesterday than died from the flu during the entire year of 2020. So much for blowing this pandemic off as normal flu season mortality.
                              And I suppose that is all Trump’s fault ! As if he leads people around by the nose. If people have not yet figured out the consequences of this virus, they must be too stupid to follow anyone’s directives. Damn, give me a ef’ing break !! But then, good ol’ joey will save the day, what a joy he will be for America........

Comment

• Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

If people have not yet figured out the consequences of this virus, they must be too stupid to follow anyone’s directives. .......
                                Well as you can see from my post twice as many in congress that were infected were Republicans. I don't think Republicans are stupid. Not taking basic precautions became a badge of loyalty to the Republican Party. That agenda was set from the very top, repeatedly, on TV, Twitter, and everything in between.

Trump had some great policies, and he did me a lot of good, covid is and was an abysmal failure.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Ammo waiting lists
                                  by franchi20
                                  Alex Robinson has a piece at OL that covers the ammo shortage.
                                  Today, 09:11 AM
                                • Ammo waiting lists
                                  by PigHunter
                                  Woohoo! I was on the notification list at The Sportsman's Guide and got an email this ammo was available. Just ordered 4 boxes (100 rounds) for $124 total...
                                  12-08-2020, 01:15 PM
                                • Reply to Amazon comes out against mail in voting
                                  by Pmacc60
                                  I find it funny that Amazon , one of the companies supporting the liberal agenda finds mail in voting has the real potential for fraud with only 5800...
                                  Today, 07:35 AM
                                • Amazon comes out against mail in voting
                                  by Pmacc60
                                  Amazon.com Inc ask the National Labor relations board to consider having workers vote in person, rather then vote by mail on a proposal to form a union...
                                  Today, 07:09 AM
                                • U K Covid-19
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Reported 1/23/21, UK mutated strain of Covid-19 is more easily transmitted and now thought to be 30% to 40% more deadly....
                                  Today, 05:22 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X