No announcement yet.

Bad news on the COVID-19 front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honk even in the best of times our lack of any sort of public health care system is a hinderance. Large institutional health care companies like Kaiser, Centura, etc, make money from elective surgeries, covid is killing all their profits despite assurances of getting reimbursed. Even if the processing of tests is free collecting the samples costs as does administering. The govt tries to pay companies to do the work but they aren't set up for it.

CVS and Walgreens have gotten a lot of money to go to institutionalized elderly. They are a retail org, not a visiting nurse association. It's the same with the vaccine. It's often said that we have the worst health care system in the developed world, well it's come back to bite us.

Comment

• We are in full blown lockdown here again. Schools closed with at home computer learning only (here for at least another week and till Feb down east). All businesses closed except essential services. Manitoba took it a step further back in November closing its borders to all but essential traffic. I could not come home from Montana that route (though I rarely do anyway because it's considerably longer). Quebec started nightly curfews yesterday (announced in orange alert several times during NFL playoff game). Police can stop anyone out after 8:00 p.m. Essential reasons only. Heavy fines and possible lockup for violators. Plus violators get their name in the paper for all to see. We have security guards at all essential services stores to ensure compliance. Even before lockdown grocery stores retained security guards to ensure everyone in the door wore a mask and used the hand sanitizer provided. When this all first unfolded last spring I made the mistake of trying to excuse myself coming in the door after I had just showered at the house. "I don't care. You're not coming in to handle other peoples' food unless you clean your hands." Fair enough. At any stores remaining open now, the number of people in the store is regulated and enforced at the door ... where social distancing in the outside lineup is also regulated. I will say that during the last year I have only witnessed THREE incidents of noncompliance in stores. And I live in a city of 110K. It's a hardship and no one likes it, including the govt leaders handing down the regs, but we know from other countries' experiences, sacrifices are needed. That being said, the discovery that several lead bureaucrats going on Christmas holidays abroad has caused some SERIOUS fallout ... and a lot of resignations. It seems Quebec and Atlantic provinces are pretty much clean in this scandal. Alberta is the worst (no surprise). I think only one federal official, a senator, sneaked outside the country ... but our lifetime appointed senators are just useless dead weight anyway. I think the last time the Senate vetoed anything was 1949. Just an expensive retirement home for big campaign contributors. I'm surprised only one senator took off. But who cares. I hardly consider them "govt officials."

Is all this working? It seemed to work during the first spike last spring and things are spiking worse right now. Unfortunately, thanks to the idiocy in D.C., grave COVID conditions here are having trouble getting headlines. And more coming tomorrow with impeachment. Couldn't pick a worse time for this stupid distraction. Thank you Donald Trump!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
        We are in full blown lockdown here again. Schools closed with at home computer learning only (here for at least another week and till Feb down east). All businesses closed except essential services. Manitoba took it a step further back in November closing its borders to all but essential traffic. I could not come home from Montana that route (though I rarely do anyway because it's considerably longer). Quebec started nightly curfews yesterday (announced in orange alert several times during NFL playoff game). Police can stop anyone out after 8:00 p.m. Essential reasons only. Heavy fines and possible lockup for violators. Plus violators get their name in the paper for all to see. We have security guards at all essential services stores to ensure compliance. Even before lockdown grocery stores retained security guards to ensure everyone in the door wore a mask and used the hand sanitizer provided. When this all first unfolded last spring I made the mistake of trying to excuse myself coming in the door after I had just showered at the house. "I don't care. You're not coming in to handle other peoples' food unless you clean your hands." Fair enough. At any stores remaining open now, the number of people in the store is regulated and enforced at the door ... where social distancing in the outside lineup is also regulated. I will say that during the last year I have only witnessed THREE incidents of noncompliance in stores. And I live in a city of 110K. It's a hardship and no one likes it, including the govt leaders handing down the regs, but we know from other countries' experiences, sacrifices are needed. That being said, the discovery that several lead bureaucrats going on Christmas holidays abroad has caused some SERIOUS fallout ... and a lot of resignations. It seems Quebec and Atlantic provinces are pretty much clean in this scandal. Alberta is the worst (no surprise). I think only one federal official, a senator, sneaked outside the country ... but our lifetime appointed senators are just useless dead weight anyway. I think the last time the Senate vetoed anything was 1949. Just an expensive retirement home for big campaign contributors. I'm surprised only one senator took off. But who cares. I hardly consider them "govt officials."

Is all this working? It seemed to work during the first spike last spring and things are spiking worse right now. Unfortunately, thanks to the idiocy in D.C., grave COVID conditions here are having trouble getting headlines. And more coming tomorrow with impeachment. Couldn't pick a worse time for this stupid distraction. Thank you Donald Trump!
        ........Thank you Donald Trump......!!

Yeah, wouldn’t we know it ??? Trump sure gets around doesn’t he ? All the problems to the north are now all the fault of Trump. I was of the impression that all the virus in America was caused by Trump not leading the country correctly. Now, with the ragging virus in Canada, a government that did everything so pure and correct, we begin to see the problems in America were no different than elsewhere, even through Canadian efforts. But yeah, it’s all Trump’s fault ! And it without a doubt pushed biden into the WH, even if it was through the back door !

Comment

• So the (D) game plan goes back to the one Barry Hussein Oh used - blame the previous (R).

Comment

• "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin.
            It seems that the Canajan subjects had little liberty to give up, and now have less liberty, and little safety from the dread chinese communist virus. That 99 +/- survival rate must really give one pause, when contemplating crawling from beneath the bed!
            But, what the heck, surely it must be all Trump's fault!

Comment

• We seem to reach new highs all the time, three consecutive days above 240K new infections even with most reporting from the weekend. Likewise 3 consecutive days above 3K deaths. At this rate we're probably looking at 20,000 deaths a week. Which is a heck of a lot of dead people..

I've been following vaccine distribution too. It's slow and problematic but increasing.

Comment

• Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

........Thank you Donald Trump......!!

Yeah, wouldn’t we know it ??? Trump sure gets around doesn’t he ? All the problems to the north are now all the fault of Trump. I was of the impression that all the virus in America was caused by Trump not leading the country correctly. Now, with the ragging virus in Canada, a government that did everything so pure and correct, we begin to see the problems in America were no different than elsewhere, even through Canadian efforts. But yeah, it’s all Trump’s fault ! And it without a doubt pushed biden into the WH, even if it was through the back door !
                We are all worked up about 3,000 Canadian infections a day and America has that many DEATHS a day.

Trump does not get the blame for a virus. He gets the blame for staying in denial too long and for sending all the wrong messages. How are local health units supposed to elicite any kind of coordinated cooperative response when the country's leader sends mixed messages minute by minute. Again, is that the kind of guy who could actually conduct national defense in a real wartime threat. It would be a mess trying to develop any strategy with that guy. He is a mental trainwreck.

Comment

• From honk the phony: " He is a mental trainwreck."

The view from Texas is that the mental trainwreck is in Canaja, and the prayer is, he stays there. Continue to peruse your old adventure and outdoor magazines, honk-honk. You haven't put out a plagiarized story starring the mighty honk is several days. The one about the pheasant hunt and the 20 hour non-stop drive while suffering gallbladder pains, was, however, worthy of the amazing mighty honk.

Comment

• Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                    From honk the phony: " He is a mental trainwreck."

The view from Texas is that the mental trainwreck is in Canaja, and the prayer is, he stays there. Continue to peruse your old adventure and outdoor magazines, honk-honk. You haven't put out a plagiarized story starring the mighty honk is several days. The one about the pheasant hunt and the 20 hour non-stop drive while suffering gallbladder pains, was, however, worthy of the amazing mighty honk.
                    Never said I drove in pain. Actually, the opposite. Sitting or laying down was/is not a problem. And, as I said, I never eat when I'm on the road which also keeps the gallbladder settled. Nice job of distorting things as usual. Still asserting there's no problem with COVID in Houston ... while the hospitals and morgues there are filled with it? Still buying into that QAnon joke? Har, har! Poor little troll. Got nothing to do but lurk on here and recreate reality = lying. But what else have you got to offer. What you know about hunting and fishing wouldn't fill a teaspoon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Never said I drove in pain. Actually, the opposite. Sitting or laying down was/is not a problem. And, as I said, I never eat when I'm on the road which also keeps the gallbladder settled. Nice job of distorting things as usual. Still asserting there's no problem with COVID in Houston ... while the hospitals and morgues there are filled with it? Still buying into that QAnon joke? Har, har! Poor little troll. Got nothing to do but lurk on here and recreate reality = lying. But what else have you got to offer. What you know about hunting and fishing wouldn't fill a teaspoon.
                      Tell us how arctic grayling can't be caught on royal coachman fly o horses petute.

Comment

• Honker -
                        Labrador's strongest reply to a criticism is the equivalent of a little kid sticking his tongue out at the teacher.

Comment

• Yesterdays death numbers exceeded four thousand. That's a one day tally not the ongoing weekly average, still that's a lot of people.

Vaccine roll out is starting to ramp up but there are many many glitches. The feds newest guidelines are anyone over 65, and to simply get all the vaccines out, not to hold any back for the second shots. More vaccinated sooner. I think they are worried about that variant that spreads easily becoming more established.

Prevention does work, but you can't simply wear a mask and think you've done your part. Every single person in your household can spread the virus to you, so what they do counts just as much. Ideally one wouldn't be interacting with anyone outside of one's household. Avoid indoor spaces like the plague, because that's what it is. Don't travel in the car with anyone. Just a couple more months.

Comment

• Originally posted by labrador12 View Post

Tell us how arctic grayling can't be caught on royal coachman fly o horses petute.
                            Of course they can be caught on a coachman ... after they have chewed off the wings with multiple strikes. Use a fly with no white wings and you'll get hookups a lot quicker ... and before the fly is in tatters.

Comment

• Well, that is twice honk the phony has crawfished on statements he has written. Like he crawfished on his dull knives post, like he crawfished on his post about spotting through his rifle scope, because he can't be weighted down with binoculars, (he hunts too hard), and that is just the crawfishing that comes to me right offhand. Rave on, O mighty honk the phony. No one knows anything except the amazing mighty honk.

Comment

• Royal coachman and black gnat are the two go to flies for arctic grayling in my experience. Of course I've only fished for them in the Northwest Territories, Yukon, British Columbia and Alaska. I'm just talking multiple years, and drainages. The white wings allow me to see the fly. I think the Honkster is full of it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad