Bad news on the COVID-19 front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
    Louie Gomart seemed to benefit from the hydroxychloroquine regimen. Millions of people have taken the drug for over 50 years with few harmful side effects. That is the science!
    few / severity are different things and matters of interpretation.

Not pickin' on you lab just using your post as a diving board.

I've gotten pretty disgusted by all of this as it has gotten less about the science and more about the politics.

In fact, the left was extremely eager to publish some pretty bad science and while responsible medical journals formally retracted the articles, it didn't stop the MSM from running with it. The Henry Ford published some decent stuff, but IDSA is now revising their position and have said "even if other quality data becomes available" which is unfortunately a way for saying they're choosing a side even if good science becomes available they believe the benefits are most likely lost in the noise. Which is understandable given some of the ridiculous assumptions the double blind trials have had.

Follow up thought. Heart Disease has killed more americans than Covid this year and every year. If you're at risk for heard disease probably not a great idea to take a drug that carries a decently sized cardiovascular risk.

We have 129.25days left in this year. If things stay as they are we'll probably hit 317K deaths by the new year. However, there's no reason not to believe that as traditional cold and flu season return this gets anything but worse. If we enter another surge phase a "wave" if you like, our current seasonal baseline is about 1K deaths/dy. A new phase could make that considerably worse.

Good News, FDA cleared convalescent plasma / serum (officially, nevermind what's been going on behind the curtains) for use against Covid. So, yay! Bad news is that means my life gets really busy for the next couple of months. How will you all manage without me🤪

Comment

• Originally posted by labrador12 View Post

I've been hunting ducks and geese for over 50 years. There are days in which the birds just seem to not want to decoy properly. Assuming that you can't find a way to change the decoy setup, or the blind position, being able to change your choke setting can be valuable. As a farmer, and a young hunter I only had one gun and that gun was what I hunted pheasants, early season and late, ducks and geese over decoys and pass shooting. My used Model 12, with a Herters vari-choke put a lot of food on the table at my house. I am positive being able to change the choke from partridge to pass shooting goose helped me get more game. Your opinion Honkster, is your opinion and carries little or no weight with my decades of experience!
      My opinion does not necessarily disagree with yours. I am glad my A-5 Magnum has choke tubes. Wouldn't have bought it if it didn't. Like you, I hunt a lot of different game and prefer to use the same gun. Unlike me, you were pretty much stuck with a variable choke add-on fifty years ago as choke tubes were still in the future then. I would never go that route today. Certainly not with a gun that's a potential collectable.

Have you patterened your variable choke? Some were better than others. I am not familiar with Herters. Cutts patterened well enough because they were essentially external choke tubes. Polychoke has received terrible reviews. Throws the same pattern no matter what the setting. There's another longer dial-a-choke gizmo still being made by someone whose name escapes me right now. It has not too bad reviews for patterning but is terribly obtrusive. A whopper of a shiny white metal blob hanging on the end of the barrel.

Comment

• Back on topic, 56 people got the coronavirus at a Starbucks in South Korea. The only people who didn’t were employees wearing masks.

https://news.yahoo.com/56-people-got...160600585.html

Comment

• "... Just trying to help. ..."
          No you're not. You're being an arrogant a$$.

"... How do you know it's not the original barrel? ..."

The barrel is marked with a series of numbers and letters.
          The number 2 designates the barrel as "part order barrel". That means, "not originally assembled to firearm".

Remington didn't mark barrels prior to 1920.

You're welcome for teaching you about Remington barrel markings.

Comment

• Social distancing in China.

https://youtu.be/xG-meaGqg-M

Comment

• From honk the phony: "And here's a high fence baiting Texas slob hunter criticising me for a supposed "canned hunt" in Africa? That's choice! Har, har!"

Now the mighty honk the phony is a canned hunt Ruark. I see a lot of difference in leased hunting deer in a four section high fenced ranch, and hunting penned African game with professional hunters, trackers, skinners, and a back-up rifleman just to kill a trophy. How big a pen were all those animals in, phony? Or did they tie them to a tree for you?
              Here I am, debating hunting styles with a self confessed phony that admits he can't keep snow and pine needles out of his rifle action, and drops his rifle and whines because his scope is knocked off! Har, har, har, indeed.

Comment

• Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                "... Just trying to help. ..."
                No you're not. You're being an arrogant a$$.

"... How do you know it's not the original barrel? ..."

The barrel is marked with a series of numbers and letters.
                The number 2 designates the barrel as "part order barrel". That means, "not originally assembled to firearm".

Remington didn't mark barrels prior to 1920.

You're welcome for teaching you about Remington barrel markings.
                Where did you get the information on "part order barrel"? I see nothing on Remington's site about barrel codes for this. Perhaps the gun was ordered with two barrels? Given the age, gauge, and choke that would seem to make sense. I don't think a barrel that may not be original to the gun would make much difference for value. Very common among shotguns to swap barrels. Does the date for barrel code coincide with receiver serial number?
                Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-25-2020, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• "... If for whatever reason you feel the need to change chokes during the day, sell that 11-48 and buy ..."

I know this will set you on your ear and you'll disagree, but allow me to school you.

My gun is NOT a M11-48, or a M48, or a M11-58, or a M58.
                  It is a Rem M11 "The Sportsman".
                  It is NOT the Rem M11 resembling the Browning A5 "humpback", but apparently a variation OF the M11 "humpback".
                  With a 2 round mag, it was specifically designed with the waterfowler, 3-shot Federal restriction, in mind.

Again, you're welcome for the education.

Comment

• From #1 Bubba: "Again, you're welcome for the education."

Hard to educate a hidebound fool that thinks what he knows is the only way the world works, Bubba. He has made so many printed idiotic statements and purely out of context remarks that I wonder that he has any credibility at all. Surely those that have to interact with him in person dread his coming and are relieved at his going.

Comment

• Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                      "... If for whatever reason you feel the need to change chokes during the day, sell that 11-48 and buy ..."

I know this will set you on your ear and you'll disagree, but allow me to school you.

My gun is NOT a M11-48, or a M48, or a M11-58, or a M58.
                      It is a Rem M11 "The Sportsman".
                      It is NOT the Rem M11 resembling the Browning A5 "humpback", but apparently a variation OF the M11 "humpback".
                      With a 2 round mag, it was specifically designed with the waterfowler, 3-shot Federal restriction, in mind.

Again, you're welcome for the education.
                      Sorry, I assumed you had the more common 11-48 "Sportsman." The Model 11 Sportsman is fairly rare. I didn't even know they made them. It's simply a Model 11 with two-shell nubbins in the tube, right? Barrel steel on Model 11 was actually quite poor quality according to the Remington company historian I spoke to on the phone about twenty years ago. I was asking about my dad's Model 11 (see image). Mentioned that someone had stuck a Polychoke on it and I was looking for an original barrel. He said it was original. Remington put them on many guns at the factory. He also said leave it alone. Original Model 11 barrels were notorious for splitting or bulging even in the days before steel shot. They put a lot of steel in the barrels but it was poor quality and tight chokes failed with modern heavy magnum loads. This could explain why yours has an add-on IC barrel. The factory full one probably didn't hold up. Again, an uncommon gun like that would be a shame to alter it. An ordinary Model 11 seems to be less valuable trade material than 11-48 although they are both pretty much the same gun. Same action anyway. Two years ago I saw a Model 11 twelve gauge in very good shape at a pawn shop in Missoula for $200. It wouldn't cycle but I knew what was wrong. Went back to the trailer, got my tools, returned and disassembled and fixed it right on the counter while the owner played video games with little Parker (his mom was at taxidermy school). "There, you should get something for it now." He still wanted to sell it to me and even offered to come down. I am not a gun collector. I advised him to advertise it at the local clubs as a starter trap gun (it had full choke). Would also be fine for a high school team as a trial gun for new prospects. I hope it found a good home. It clearly had seen very little use.

By the way most Browning humpback parts are NOT interchangeable with Model 11. Even the screws are different (I like the Remington idea of putting the locking screw notches at four corners so replacement screws don't have to be custom made). I think the barrel springs are the same though and you might consider changing yours. They tend to get "crystalized" with use and break. I seem to recall seeing new ones for sixteen gauge on ebay. Also, Midwest Gun Parts (NOT Midway!) has a lot of A-5/M11 stuff. My dad's barrel spring broke years before I can remember and damaged the fore end. I did find a replacement fore end on ebay after he died.
                      I'm sure A5 and M11 used the same friction brake. Might check yours for wear. Replacements are easy to find. Dad's definitely should be replaced but my brother isn't shooting it anyway. I borrowed it one season several years ago when my Light Twelve lost a screw. As you can see it worked fine.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Dad's gun.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.1 KB ID:	743282
                      Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-25-2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Here is a excerpt from an article about actor Tom Hanks and his bout with COVID-19 in Australia.

Hanks and his wife, Rita Wilson, revealed on March 11 they tested positive for COVID-19 while in Australia. They were the first big stars to publicly share their diagnosis.

“We felt rotten,” Hanks recalled on the Today show last month. “I had body aches — crippling, cracking body aches. ... The Australian officials put us in the hospital, and they kept very strict attention on our fevers, because if they had spiked, we were going to be in trouble; our lungs, because if they had filled up or scarred we were going to be in trouble; and the levels of our oxygen.”

Hanks slammed people unwilling to “do their part” to stop the spread of the virus. “We don't know what's going to happen with COVID-19. The idea of doing one's part, though, should be so simple: Wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands,” he declared.

“Look, there's no law against ignorance. It's not illegal to have opinions that are wrong,” Hanks added. "But there is a darkness on the edge of town here folks, and ... let's not confuse the fact: It's killing people. ... Yeah, that's right. It's killing people.”

https://news.yahoo.com/kevin-hart-co...161116451.html

Comment

• Six days after reopening, the University of Alabama has over 500 coronavirus cases. Now the student newspaper is telling the administration: 'We won't be your PR.'

https://news.yahoo.com/6-days-reopen...191137933.html

Comment

• Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                            Six days after reopening, the University of Alabama has over 500 coronavirus cases. Now the student newspaper is telling the administration: 'We won't be your PR.'

https://news.yahoo.com/6-days-reopen...191137933.html

Grade school set to reopen here next week and everyone is nervous. I fear it will be a disaster ... and political heads will roll. More instability will just make things worse.

Pighunter seems to think he's already had the bug and probably immune to the recent spike in Alabama infections. But I just heard another case of someone being reinfected has been confirmed in South Korea. Getting sick once does not guarantee immunity.
                            Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-26-2020, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• honk the phony: " Getting sick once does not guarantee immunity."

Now the phony is a medical practitioner. He has so much expertise in so many areas I can't keep track. Already lost track of the number of professions claimed. Last count was 42 or 43. He must be at least 150 years old, to have done so much! Whatta man!

Comment

• And he doesn't know half as much about medicine as Doctor Trump.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad