• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rock rat View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 6.38.36 AM.png
Views:	70
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	740826
    Houston is getting used to the constant sound of ambulances. More noticeable at night when other things are quiet. People stacked up dead, constant flow of patients to overcrowded hospitals.
    And.......this means what ?? That people are not able to do what is right, that they need to be told how to act . The virus has been with us long enough that everyone should know by now the dangers and the precautions ! If the country needs to be lectured by our President as to what they need or not need to be safe, we surely have a bunch of uneducated individuals. More than half of the country did not even vote for Trump, so do we expect that they would now follow any directive given ? The result of the virus is due to the actions of the people and how they respond to it, nothing more !!

Comment

• Trump can do still more to damage this country, by discouraging vaccination administration, esp. if the vaccine was first developed in another country.
      He led by example with the masks!
      Last edited by 99explorer; 08-01-2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• Lab12, have you made it to your spot?

Comment

• Vietnam has finally had some deaths, 2 I think, might be 3 by now. We are averaging a death every minute.

Bowhunter, you're asking what can be done when everyone knows what the score is? Am I framing your question correctly? Don't want to misrepresent.

Well, we could begin by closing all bars and restaurants and a nationwide mask order. Europe and much of Asia shut down 95% and drove infection rates very low, we shut down 50% and plateaued at a very high rate, then we opened up without much testing and rates skyrocketed some places. We have operated ideologically. Love Trump, hate libs? Then don't wear a mask and support opening up all businesses. Sorry, that doesn't work.

We juiced our economy with trillions, and GDP didn't shrink as much as Europe's did. But Europe and most of Asia are back in business, and we are stuck with a worsening death rate, a second wave, a thousand deaths a day, and an economy that soon might hit the skids.

We badly need someone to lead the nation.

Comment

• Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            Lab12, have you made it to your spot?
            I've been in Ak since July 13th. Fish have been slow to arrive but are now plentiful. First silver Thursday.
            Last edited by labrador12; 08-01-2020, 10:29 PM. Reason: Spell check screwed up

Comment

• It appears that, at the moment, we are ill prepared to manage a vaccination program if a suitable vaccine were to gain approval in the near term.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-plannin...121258318.html

Comment

• Some how the US Government is supposed to be in charge of a pandemic virus response. We have a large expensive group of supposed experts that can't even decide whether or not masks are useful. They tell us 10,000 unmasked protesters, or funeral goers are fine if the intent is politically correct, but religious gatherings are unnessary and to be outlawed. Democrats have lost their minds.

Comment

• Labby -
                  Perhaps this exchange between Jim Jordan and Dr. Fauci will clear things up for you.

https://news.yahoo.com/jim-jordan-tr...164500343.html

Comment

• Rock Rat....... ! I am not asking ‘what can be done’, I am simply stating that with the knowledge the people already have about the virus, it’s dangers, it’s ease of transmission, what more can be said in order to have them come to a sensible handling of the situation ? If they do not yet comprehend the consequences, what will lead them to do so ? It appears that too many people have already decided to follow their own ideas and nothing said by Trump or others is going to change their minds of masks, distancing or not being part of large gatherings ! It simply follows the horse to water factor !
                    Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 08-02-2020, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                      Rock Rat....... ! I am not asking ‘what can be done’, I am simply stating that with the knowledge the people already have about the virus, it’s dangers, it’s ease of transmission, what more can be said in order to have them come to a sensible handling of the situation ? If they do not yet comprehend the consequences, what will lead them to do so ? It appears that too many people have already decided to follow their own ideas and nothing said by Trump or others is going to change their minds of masks, distancing or not being part of large gatherings ! It simply follows the horse to water factor !
                      What's going on here in Ontario is ample evidence that you are wrong, Richard. Our leaders, both Liberal and Conservative, have been on the same page in this crisis and setting the example (with a few missteps which they readily acknowledged and apologized for). Overwhelmingly the folks here have been following it. Sure, there's been a few fringe nutjobs whining loudly about their loss of freedom, blah, blah, blah. But most folks have followed our leaders' example of "We're all in this together." Social distancing, masks, business closures ... it's all been tough but it's what our leaders agree is the way to go at it ... because that's what scientists think is the best way to go at it. And, more importantly, it's what our leaders were SHOWING us, by their example, needed to be done. Trump's actions have been inconsistent to say the least. His focus on "fighting back" does not mesh with "all in this together." It works against it. In fact, he has set the wrong example ... on purpose. Refused to wear a mask. Refused to follow social distancing. Refused to stay home (how many times has he flown back and forth to Florida? Was that necessary? NO! But the rest of us were not supposed to go to our lake cottages or on vacation or shopping at the mall.) What kind of mixed message does that send to Americans? And this quack cure crap. And literally claiming he knows so much about science because ... he just does. "I don't listen to my scientists, so why should you." Tell me how Trump's actions have been anything but counterproductive in this crisis. I am tired of listening to excuses for that idiot. He has no common sense, obviously, but he's had plenty of knowledgeable advice. He just is not interested in being told what to do. He knows everything ... but he knows nothing. He is the absolute WORST kind of leader to have in a technically complex crisis situation. Especially one that threatens the health and livelihood of every single American.
                      Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-02-2020, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

What's going on here in Ontario is ample evidence that you are wrong, Richard. Our leaders, both Liberal and Conservative, have been on the same page in this crisis and setting the example (with a few missteps which they readily acknowledged and apologized for). Overwhelmingly the folks here have been following it. Sure, there's been a few fringe nutjobs whining loudly about their loss of freedom, blah, blah, blah. But most folks have followed our leaders' example of "We're all in this together." Social distancing, masks, business closures ... it's all been tough but it's what our leaders agree is the way to go at it ... because that's what scientists think is the best way to go at it. And, more importantly, it's what our leaders were SHOWING us, by their example, needed to be done. Trump's actions have been inconsistent to say the least. His focus on "fighting back" does not mesh with "all in this together." It works against it. In fact, he has set the wrong example ... on purpose. Refused to wear a mask. Refused to follow social distancing. Refused to stay home (how many times has he flown back and forth to Florida? Was that necessary? NO! But the rest of us were not supposed to go to our lake cottages or on vacation or shopping at the mall.) What kind of mixed message does that send to Americans? And this quack cure crap. And literally claiming he knows so much about science because ... he just does. "I don't listen to my scientists, so why should you." Tell me how Trump's actions have been anything but counterproductive in this crisis. I am tired of listening to excuses for that idiot. He has no common sense, obviously, but he's had plenty of knowledgeable advice. He just is not interested in being told what to do. He knows everything ... but he knows nothing. He is the absolute WORST kind of leader to have in a technically complex crisis situation. Especially one that threatens the health and livelihood of every single American.
                        Your assumptions may be correct, but that does not remove the fact that people have seen the consequences of this virus, and thus should not have to be told by their president how to respond ! Besides, they have heard from medical sources as to a correct procedure of action, and have still done as they wished or thought better. The hatred of Trump has played a major roll concerning a vast number of people’s disregard of any directives ! I would imagine it is somewhat a different issue of getting less than 40,000,000 people on the same page than 350,000,000 regarding a good following. Also, there has been no coming together by the D’s in this issue, in fact, the worse they can make the results of this virus, the better they fell regarding defeating Trump. A real POS way of thinking !!
                        Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 08-02-2020, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

Your assumptions may be correct, but that does not remove the fact that people have seen the consequences of this virus, and thus should not have to be told by their president how to respond ! Besides, they have heard from medical sources as to a correct procedure of action, and have still done as they wished or thought better. The hatred of Trump has played a major roll concerning a vast number of people’s disregard of any directives ! I would imagine it is somewhat a different issue of getting less than 40,000,000 people on the same page than 350,000,000 regarding a good following. Also, there has been no coming together by the D’s in this issue, in fact, the worse they can make the results of this virus, the better they fell regarding defeating Trump. A real POS way of thinking !!
                          When the people are told by their leader that the pandemic is concocted by his political enemies, that it's nothing to worry about, that they can avoid getting sick using quack cures, doesn't believe in social distancing, etc, etc, etc, who are they supposed to believe? Him or the medical people. They don't know. That is a leadership problem that falls SOLELY on the shoulders of Trump. He had EVERY opportunity to make political hay from the pandemic. But it's just been one dumb disaster after another, day after day. Blame his stupid antics on the Democrats? Why? Do they make him do and say this stupid stuff? No. It is their job to point it out. It is their job to call him to account for his foolishness. How can you expect them to support an idiot who doesn't believe the pandemic is real, suggests bleach is safe to injest, etc. The Democrats are trying to force some order to this madness (and many GOP are FINALLY joining ranks). They are looking out for Americans. Or at least trying. Meanwhile Trump is stuck in the same old gotta fight back, deep state conspiracies, drain the swamp, etc mode. It's all that simpleton knows. This life and death crisis requires leadership that's something beyond simpleton. Will the Democrats be up to the challenge? I don't know. But at this point we have nothing to lose giving it a try. Trump is not up to it, that's for sure. And he's not listening to those who are. God forbid the country should ever be attacked in the conventional sense. I doubt America could defend itself with someone so utterly screwed up at the helm of national defense. I know I wouldn't follow that scatterbrained buffoon across the street.
                          Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-02-2020, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• I just spoke with my nephew in NJ be telephone, and he tells me that a young fellow at work, age 20, has contracted the disease and has been in a coma for three weeks.
                            His brother-in-law down in Florida, age 44, has just come down with a positive test result after showing the usual symptoms.
                            I don't know anybody wishing for worse results of this virus for political reasons.

Comment

• Bowhunter, people who follow things internationally saw the consequences of the virus, most Americans, including just about every "conservative" person on these pages has very little source of unbiased news from Europe, Asia, etc. Liberal or conservative our media is a dog fight every day, and any scientific news that does get published is driven by clicks, the more outrageous and outlandish and alarming it is, the more the author makes.

To watch our TV, or read our papers, is a never ending litany of conflicting stories.

Yet the personal twitter feeds of most infectious disease researchers and epidemiologists are fairly similar in what they recommend. They are also similar to what Canada, Australia, most of Europe, and developed Asia are doing. The response to covid is mostly dictated by what scientists are saying, worldwide.

Usually the USA is the world leader on this kind of thing. We've the scientists, doctors, and airlift capability to set up a response in far flung corners of the world. Ebola, SARS, Bird flu, what have you, this time we can't even take care of ourselves. Total lack of leadership.

I like Trump on a couple of domestic issues, but Honk is right, what if there were a war or something.

Comment

• Sorry to report that Donald Trump's son Barron will not be taking part in the hasty re-opening of the schools this year.

https://news.yahoo.com/maryland-coun...173540431.html

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad