No announcement yet.

Bad news on the COVID-19 front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Fauci revises his thoughts and prediction as new information comes in.
    He does not consider it a sign of weakness like you-know-who.

Good point:
    He considers it irresponsible for younger people who are unafraid of severe infection to themselves to allow themselves to become carriers and pass the virus along to their elders.

Comment

• Moderna is feeling the pain of having to deal with the FDA and the NIH. I'm sure since they're receiving so much funding thru WarpSpeed that the NIH feels entitled to tell them how to carryout the studies and how to run their protocols.

Fauci warning the vaccine could only be temporary is a CYA statement. It's a legitimate concern, but *so far* we've been lucky that this hasn't mutated very much or in very negative ways. Unlike other Corona-viruses it seems to have a replication checking function.

There's much we don't know and some vaccines are only good for a short time. Their efficacy is limited. A new flu shot is issued each year because the various strains of influenza and other corona-viruses that are endemic to humans mutate a little and get passed around.

Comment

• I'm in Bellingham, Wa. I'm getting tested tomorrow for my ferry run on Friday up to Ketchikan. Lots of mask wearing around here. I haven't seen any people on freeways but a black guy killed a girl on the freeway in Seattle this weekend. I hit I-5 north of Seattle because of this crap. I avoided Chicago and Minneapolis too. +P and I are holding steady.
        I see hydroxychroquine is a good drug again. I hope our media rots in hell for the job they are doing misrepresenting life in 2020. I haven't seen any murder hornets yet!

Comment

• Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
          I'm in Bellingham, Wa. I'm getting tested tomorrow for my ferry run on Friday up to Ketchikan. Lots of mask wearing around here. I haven't seen any people on freeways but a black guy killed a girl on the freeway in Seattle this weekend. I hit I-5 north of Seattle because of this crap. I avoided Chicago and Minneapolis too. +P and I are holding steady.
          I see hydroxychroquine is a good drug again. I hope our media rots in hell for the job they are doing misrepresenting life in 2020. I haven't seen any murder hornets yet!
          lab, the guy was DUI.
          He entered the highway on an off ramp.
          He was driving the wrong direction.
          He was driving a Jaguar.
          OMG! He was black!
          Uh oh! Back burner in the news cycle!
          The news reported one lady died, he was going the wrong way and he entered on an off ramp. That's it!
          One news cycle!

Comment

• Let me put it this way, if I still lived in the Detroit Metro Area, I'd only go to Henry Ford or maybe Beaumont. I have friends that work there still. Henry Ford did a good job of how they carried out their HCQ study.

When I was a younger guy, I got into a bit of a mystery infection and decided I needed an ER. This was before phones really had turn by turn navigation. I was running a way high fever and near delirious with spiking abdominal pain. I tried to find my way to Henry Ford and ended up at one of their outpatient centers. When I learned they weren't the right location, they tried to call me an ambulance but stubbornly I tried to find my way to their ER, but on the way the pain got too bad and I ended up following blue hospital signs to St. John's / Oakland General.

I'm grateful to the docs and nurses but that was one of my worst life experiences. Seems like I was the only person there "in pain" not trying to be on narcotics. There's more to that story but I'll try to stay on topic.

Anyway, Hats off to Henry Ford for looking at the use of HCQ the way it's intended to be used as a Prophylactic. I'm sure there's more studies to be done, and I wouldn't call the matter settled, but it's nice to see junk science being called out.
            The basis of this hypothesis as I understand it (I'm by no means an expert on all things biomed, but I'll try my best) is the virus can't help binding with both the surface of the lungs and it can't help but to bond to the internal surfaces of the capillaries and the blood vessels. This in turn causes inflammation which results in the increase of Von Willebrand Factor (VWF) into the blood. It's incontrovertible that HCQ affects the process of autophagy in cells. This process regulates the secretion of certain factors into the extracellular environment, including the secretion of VWF.

We don't know for sure the VWF is what's causing this, but since it fits the description, it's being eyed very closely and at this point, I'd say it's necessary to carry out large-scale and comprehensive research into the level and activity of VWF in people infected with SARS-CoV-2, who have a mild or severe course of infection.

It's crazy that the news headline is now "But scientists warn of not politicizing..." as if that hadn't already been happening.

Sorry if that's confusing guys feel free to ask follow ups I'll try my best to explain.

Comment

• The White House claims the world is looking to the U.S. as a leader in the coronavirus crisis.

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-w...215353529.html

Comment

• Bucky -
                Do you suppose that it could be the volume of the particles that a patient is exposed to that accounts for the severity of the disease?

Comment

• Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                  Bucky -
                  Do you suppose that it could be the volume of the particles that a patient is exposed to that accounts for the severity of the disease?
                  Unfortunately, we don't know yet. I have been clawing at my colleagues for this for some time, and the last real update I had was in April for them to tell me they don't know. What I got from them at that time was that infectious dose of SARS-Cov-1 was estimated to be 280 viral particles. However, since that data came out of China, I've dismissed it.

We know that Influenza viruses which are similar are dosage severity dependent, but SARS-Cov-1 had other factors that played into the mix that confound the data.

The BMJ / Yale published work (again from China so I don't trust it) that seemed to indicate that higher viral load did correspond with more severe cases. But that is questionable (even if I didn't dismiss out of hand for being China run propaganda) because their method of investigation was retrospective cohort. Which means little to no control about what they were looking at after the fact, just monitoring people's load once they already knew they were infected.

It's extremely suspicious because their results show communicability long before onset of symptoms (i.e. they're trying to give themselves an "out"). We did not see this with Sar-1 or MERS.

All we can say for certain for now is that people that are sicker expel more of the virus for longer, but we can't necessarily tie that back to how much of dose or exposure they initially got.

I will let everyone know the minute I have something more concrete, but the good safe practice is to continue to try to minimize dose via minimizing exposure.

Comment

• https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...elines-n609729

Comment

• Bucky -
                      Thanks to you, we the members of F&S now know more than the White House.

Comment

• I noticed when looking at the charts on the Johns Hopkins data that everyone seems to use, that the current mortality rate is just under 2%, where as at the height of things in April it was around 7%. That's quite a difference. New deaths are way down too. Wonder if we are better at treating it or younger infected or maybe both and more tests.

Trying to limit exposure is determined by family members now more than anything else. Waiting for a vaccine.

Comment

• .....”Trying to limit exposure is determined by family members.....” !

An excellent point Rock ! We can control our own exposure to a heigh degree by being very conscious of our surroundings concerning our contacts to others. But in a family setting, it is somewhat more difficult to control totally what members are doing in the same respect. Here in Germany things are opening up quite a bit, and my wife wants to engage in out of the home things more than I think is prudent. And in families with teens, it must be very difficult to control activities and thus exposure ! I still do not have a good feeling as to the future regarding this virus, and it is still holding me captive here in Germany !!

Comment

• https://www.theblaze.com/news/cdc-st...covid-epidemic

Good news.

Comment

• The experiment in human sacrifice continues, with no end in sight.

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-u...110959705.html

Comment

• Sweden's hands-off approach to the pandemic is not working out well at all.

More than three months later, the coronavirus is blamed for 5,420 deaths in Sweden, according to the World Health Organization. That might not sound especially horrendous compared with the more than 129,000 Americans who have died. But Sweden is a country of only 10 million people. Per million people, Sweden has suffered 40% more deaths than the United States, 12 times more than Norway, seven times more than Finland and six times more than Denmark.

https://news.yahoo.com/sweden-become...121752098.html

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad