Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Juneteenth - What are your plans to celebrate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juneteenth - What are your plans to celebrate?

I'd never heard of Juneteenth before yesterday. Now there's talk of making it a National Holiday. What are your thoughts? How do you plan to spend the day? Are you doing something special to recognize it?

It's not on our official list... but we do have a Rosa Parks Day

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020 Holidays.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	736630
    Attached Files
    Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

I guess you can call me stupid, but what the heck is Juneteenth day being possibly made into a National Holiday for ???

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
      I guess you can call me stupid, but what the heck is Juneteenth day being possibly made into a National Holiday for ???
      No worries Richard. You can be 'woke' with the proper education. Here's an opinion post that will help you learn...

Alveda King: Celebrating Juneteenth – Unite Americans by making it a national holiday
      https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/cele...ns-alveda-king

Comment

Years ago, when we had a black ranch hand working for us, Nana would always cook a special dinner, and my Grandfather would have a huge watermelon to cut, late in the afternoon. Usually a yellow meated watermelon, as that was J.B.'s favorite. Haven't really celebrated Juneteenth since those good old days.

Comment

My parents always laughed about "Juneteenth".
          There were more drunks on Juneteenth than any other day of the year.
          More shootings and more stabbings.

The black section of town looked as if it was on fire with all the smoke from the bbq pits!

I can't remember that we did anything special other than stay away from Texas Ave and Reagan St.
          As far as I was concerned, it was the day between the 18th and the 20th.

Oh yeah! Schwab's Mkt on Spring St ran low on beer. You'd nearly always have to go to Foot's Liquor up on the square.
          Last edited by FirstBubba; 06-19-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

#1 Bubba, we lived on a ranch and did not have all those big city advantages. A fishing trip or a watermelon cuttin' was about as far as our excitement went.

Comment

Just heard of it today and it’s just going to be another day for me. Already too many holidays for me. Why not add more to fill up the calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                Years ago, when we had a black ranch hand working for us, Nana would always cook a special dinner, and my Grandfather would have a huge watermelon to cut, late in the afternoon. Usually a yellow meated watermelon, as that was J.B.'s favorite. Haven't really celebrated Juneteenth since those good old days.
                Interesting, thanks for sharing that story. It's been years since last tasting a yellow meated watermelon. I've got a red seedless that needs cutting, and may fire up the grill after going to the range.

Comment

Comment

I'd never heard of Juneteenth until last week.

What's a yellow meated watermelon?

Commence Damn Yankee jokes in 3,2,1.....

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                      I'd never heard of Juneteenth until last week.

What's a yellow meated watermelon?

Commence Damn Yankee jokes in 3,2,1.....
                      Well, you can get a pass on that one as long as you don't say anything bad about grits.

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyl...low-watermelon

"Yellow watermelons lack lycopene, which is the chemical that produces a reddish color in fruits and vegetables like tomatoes and red grapefruit. While the large amounts of lycopene in red watermelon give it a pinkish-red inside, the lack of lycopene in yellow watermelon yields a yellowish color.

Surprisingly, yellow watermelon was cultivated before red watermelon. Yellow watermelons were bred to have higher lycopene content once watermelon became more popular, which turned it redder over time. Originating in Africa, this yellowish kind of watermelon is said to have a somewhat sweeter flavor and a thicker rind than its red cousin.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

No worries Richard. You can be 'woke' with the proper education. Here's an opinion post that will help you learn...

Alveda King: Celebrating Juneteenth – Unite Americans by making it a national holiday
                        https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/cele...ns-alveda-king
                        Well slap my face and shut my mouth. Please excuse me if I am not overly excited about this. As far as being ‘woke’, I will pass on that !

Comment

Juneteenth is more of a Texas, or even southern tradition, as that was the day in 1865, that the damnyankees read the Emancipation Proclamation in Galveston, Texas.
                          Yellow meated, and the big Black Diamond red meated, watermelons are the only ones fit to eat. They just taste better. Also, the thicker rinds on the yellow meated variety are more suited to making watermelon rind preserves.

Comment

fitch 270- Damnyankee is one word.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                              fitch 270- Damnyankee is one word.
                              And technically they're the ones who stay instead of just visiting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad