No announcement yet.

How are you keeping busy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been reading Faulkner's The Bear which I guess is often called part of the novel Go Down Moses. In my edition it's a separate piece. I'm to the part where the bear is already dead and I have most of the thing to go, I think I've read 28 of 70 pages or something. Faulkner can be hard to follow and often I re read trying to find my place but he's better the second go round anyway. Set in post civil war Mississippi, I'm guessing in the late 1800s. The characters could well be people I've met in Utah twenty years ago, ageless. Bedtime reading so I only get a couple pages a night anyway.

Eastern woods are thick, you often don't see very far, and leaves often enough damp underfoot so you don't alarm every critter in a half mile. I like the diversity of tree species too, I can see two types of oak, red maple, moose maple, hop hornbeam, hemlock, eastern white pine, spruce, beech, white birch, yellow birch, cherry, and those are just the trees in the regular woods, go down near a creek and there's river birch, silver maple, and lots more, I forget most of the bushes, flowers, etc. So much variety it's nuts, and lots of them are tall, fifty or more feet is the norm and in good conditions up to 70'. By cherry I mean the long tall kind they cut lumber out of, oh, forgot white ash. There's also this thing called rain which you all probably don't like, I could stand in it for a few weeks before I soaked up enough to make up for too many years of desert. Clouds are down close to the ground where they should be. The east has a lot to offer.

Comment

Black Cherry RR, lots of it around here. I’ll be thinning low value stuff of various species over the next month or so. I need to get a logger in here for the good stuff before it goes bad.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Sarge, the Cahaba is in Central Alabama with headwaters northeast of Birmingham and discharging into the Alabama river downstream of Selma
        One of the leases I hunted in Alabama was about 5 miles from Selma along the Alabama river. Later on we hunting on a lease about 15 miles from Selma in Perry county.

Comment

Grandma lived down the road from Walter Craig.
          Yup, I went in to visit way back

Comment

Sarge, the Cahaba is in Central Alabama with headwaters northeast of Birmingham and discharging into the Alabama river downstream of Selma
            My paternal grandmother (1895-1995) was born in Selma, Alabama. Her brother took her to raise when she was 8. He worked for a railroad (GM&O?) in Mobile.
            She said she saw her first automobile there!

Until I was almost 7 years old, I thought her maiden name was "Clock". Until my mother finally explained she was saying "Clark"! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

One of the leases I hunted in Alabama was about 5 miles from Selma along the Alabama river. Later on we hunting on a lease about 15 miles from Selma in Perry county.
              Sarge, I like that part of the state for hunting and have also been in a Perry County lease. That's where I shot my first Alabama buck.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                Grandma lived down the road from Walter Craig.
                Yup, I went in to visit way back
                Are you talking about the outdoor store in Montgomery, AL?

Comment

Are you talking about the outdoor store in Montgomery, AL?
                  I used to go in the Walter Craig in Selma, nice store and well stocked with hunting and shooting supplies.

Comment

Finally tracked down my African trophies today. They were at the freight terminal here in town. Kept getting put on hold every time I called so I drove down and made a nuisance of myself till manager finally came to the door (they are locked down to visitors). Lo and behold it's been sitting here since last Friday. Half the stuff is already up on the wall. Some hide slipped on kudu cape. Not happy about that! Jessie thinks she can fix it. Off side has no slippage but bullet exited neck and made a good sized hole. I think that will be an easier repair. Fairly certain this is not my kudu skull. Spread is too narrow. The taxidermy outfit initially did not read the instructions properly from lodge and had that animal down for skull cap and "dip and pack" for cape. That's what was on their bill when it came for down payment. I immediately told them that was wrong and to tan cape and euro the skull per lodge instructions. I'm thinking they had already chopped the cap off. Horns for kudu and gemsbuck slide off for shipment. Pretty sure these are my kudu's horns. But I suspect they picked up a skull from a younger bull (probably management kill) and made it work. Similarly, the tanned wildebeest rug is definitely not mine and almost certainly a management animal. Too small, too dark, and not a hole in it. I shot mine through both front quarters. On management kills the animals are usually jacklighted and shot in the head as meat is butchered and sold on the market. Young bulls are often selected for culling. This hide slipped some hair on the butt above tail. The taxidermist glued the jaw shut on warthog skull with globs of bondo. I wanted to make a pedestal tabletop mount with mouth open. Guess that isn't going to happen now. Most of the skulls stink real bad. Very sloppy prep. Dipped in a vat of acid then spray painted. Bone material is crumbly and real crappy job cleaning up overspray on horns. I cleaned off spray paint on muley buck some local Montana friend of a friend did for me three years ago and Jessie fixed it up great. But I don't dare try that with these skulls. Bone material is too fragile. Wildebeest is missing three teeth and buffalo has none. But both were very old animals. Cow buff had been missing one molar for quite a while. She had hardly any gums left. Not a big deal. Might actually make it easier to mount her skull without the teeth.

So, it was kinda disappointing. Sucks to be at the mercy of long distance business transactions (e.g. South African freight outfit billed me for a crate that was 230 lbs ... it actually weighs just under 140 lbs). Still haven't got the govt invoice from Toronto customs broker. Supposedly lost. Yeah, sure. I will let the lodge owner know about problems with taxidermist. Gary got a bunch of rubbish for his tanned hides two years ago. So this nothing new.

Comment

• Sorry things didn't turn out so well OHH.

Comment

• Ohio stay at home is mandatory and the Sheriff will enforce any non-essential business that is open, as of 3/24

Comment

• Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                          Finally tracked down my African trophies today. They were at the freight terminal here in town. Kept getting put on hold every time I called so I drove down and made a nuisance of myself till manager finally came to the door (they are locked down to visitors). Lo and behold it's been sitting here since last Friday. Half the stuff is already up on the wall. Some hide slipped on kudu cape. Not happy about that! Jessie thinks she can fix it. Off side has no slippage but bullet exited neck and made a good sized hole. I think that will be an easier repair. Fairly certain this is not my kudu skull. Spread is too narrow. The taxidermy outfit initially did not read the instructions properly from lodge and had that animal down for skull cap and "dip and pack" for cape. That's what was on their bill when it came for down payment. I immediately told them that was wrong and to tan cape and euro the skull per lodge instructions. I'm thinking they had already chopped the cap off. Horns for kudu and gemsbuck slide off for shipment. Pretty sure these are my kudu's horns. But I suspect they picked up a skull from a younger bull (probably management kill) and made it work. Similarly, the tanned wildebeest rug is definitely not mine and almost certainly a management animal. Too small, too dark, and not a hole in it. I shot mine through both front quarters. On management kills the animals are usually jacklighted and shot in the head as meat is butchered and sold on the market. Young bulls are often selected for culling. This hide slipped some hair on the butt above tail. The taxidermist glued the jaw shut on warthog skull with globs of bondo. I wanted to make a pedestal tabletop mount with mouth open. Guess that isn't going to happen now. Most of the skulls stink real bad. Very sloppy prep. Dipped in a vat of acid then spray painted. Bone material is crumbly and real crappy job cleaning up overspray on horns. I cleaned off spray paint on muley buck some local Montana friend of a friend did for me three years ago and Jessie fixed it up great. But I don't dare try that with these skulls. Bone material is too fragile. Wildebeest is missing three teeth and buffalo has none. But both were very old animals. Cow buff had been missing one molar for quite a while. She had hardly any gums left. Not a big deal. Might actually make it easier to mount her skull without the teeth.

So, it was kinda disappointing. Sucks to be at the mercy of long distance business transactions (e.g. South African freight outfit billed me for a crate that was 230 lbs ... it actually weighs just under 140 lbs). Still haven't got the govt invoice from Toronto customs broker. Supposedly lost. Yeah, sure. I will let the lodge owner know about problems with taxidermist. Gary got a bunch of rubbish for his tanned hides two years ago. So this nothing new.
                          Did Gary get anything on this trip ? Did the people only work for the lodge you were at or did they also work for other lodges ? How many people were on safari from the lodge you were at during the same time you were there ?

Comment

• Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Did Gary get anything on this trip ? Did the people only work for the lodge you were at or did they also work for other lodges ? How many people were on safari from the lodge you were at during the same time you were there ?
                            Gary shot cape buffalo bull, eland, bushbuck, warthog, mountain reedbuck, and another springbuck (taxidermist sent him the wrong one two years ago). The week I was there, besides Gary and myself there was a retired NJ school teacher and a retired lumber mill engineer, his son, and both their wives. Son's wife did a bit of managment shooting for springbuck but the other gal was strictly there for wildlife tours, wine tasting, etc. Lodge owner's wife handles that stuff. Most, if not all, the lodge PHs are freelance. They are listed as staff on the lodge's site but they may work for other outfitters too. The taxidermy outfit is a big operation and separate from the lodge.

I should add that Gary had the same problem two years ago when he had three skins tanned. The nyala hide he got back was very poorly coloured and definitely not his (nyala are noted for variation in spots and stripes). Kudu hide was brown and obviously from an animal shot in the north country. Wildebeest had wrong holes in it. We suspect that a separate outfit does the tanning for taxidermist and they just throw everything in together. At least I did get my own kudu cape, though I have my doubts we'll be able to use it. Which is why I ordered the bleached skull. At least I'll now still have something to show besides just a pair of horns stuck on a board.

Wildebeest is up on the wall in dining/kichen hallway (my daughter's idea). Looks pretty good.
                            Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 03-25-2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

I used to go in the Walter Craig in Selma, nice store and well stocked with hunting and shooting supplies.
                              They were a wholesaler too, advertised in SGN.....back when SGN was of some worth.

Comment

• Looked in SGN for these guys... J Jovino, Ashland, MidSouth, Walter Craig, Sarco and Numrichs.

Looked at the Vollmer stuff too LOL
                                Last edited by CD2; 03-25-2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Stevens 301 vs ATI NOMAD
                                  by fitch270
                                  Different gun, yours was the O/U, this one is a single shot. Different outsourcing....
                                  Today, 08:08 PM
                                • Stevens 301 vs ATI NOMAD
                                  by Ghosty
                                  i want your advice on which shotgun i should buy which brand is better i was told stevens is made in china and ATI is made in the us in south carolina...
                                  Today, 08:30 AM
                                • Reply to Prepping: No, not TP
                                  by fitch270
                                  Dewman: Sorry if this hit a little close to home, didn't mean to open any wounds.

OHH: Our appointment is with a very good lawyer for this...
                                  Today, 08:06 PM
                                • Prepping: No, not TP
                                  by fitch270
                                  Sorry in advance for this, but I'm blaming the morbid sob's on here for the inspiration.

My wife and I scheduled an estate planning appointment...
                                  Today, 07:14 PM
                                • Reply to Prepping: No, not TP
                                  by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                  One of my many former vocations was a law clerk, so yes I have taken care of my and my daughter's wills and power of attorney. You need to call a lawyer...
                                  Today, 07:49 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X