How are you keeping busy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are you keeping busy?

I'm still working but my wife and kids have been home all week. The kids have been getting class work through the school's internet and the wife's been working remotely as well. Just to get them off the property we made a dump run this morning, then took a walk on the hill when we got home. After lunch the boy and I did some lawn work. I expect a bunch of projects and chores are going to get done the next several weeks, I'm actually going to make the most of this and take the good with the bad. Hopefully we'll extend a slowed pace when life gets back to normal, whenever and whatever that is. Things here shutdown systematically and I've warned my family they aren't going to just call "All Clear" in a few weeks. Fortunately the weather has been decent for this time of year so that helps a bunch.

So how's it going where you are? Routine radically different or just a small adjustment so far? Flat out at work or sent home? I'm not really interested in predictions on how this will all turn out, that's being covered in other threads. I'm just curious how everyone is holding up. You older guys especially take care and everybody hang in there.

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    I'm still working but my wife and kids have been home all week. The kids have been getting class work through the school's internet and the wife's been working remotely as well. Just to get them off the property we made a dump run this morning, then took a walk on the hill when we got home. After lunch the boy and I did some lawn work. I expect a bunch of projects and chores are going to get done the next several weeks, I'm actually going to make the most of this and take the good with the bad. Hopefully we'll extend a slowed pace when life gets back to normal, whenever and whatever that is. Things here shutdown systematically and I've warned my family they aren't going to just call "All Clear" in a few weeks. Fortunately the weather has been decent for this time of year so that helps a bunch.

So how's it going where you are? Routine radically different or just a small adjustment so far? Flat out at work or sent home? I'm not really interested in predictions on how this will all turn out, that's being covered in other threads. I'm just curious how everyone is holding up. You older guys especially take care and everybody hang in there.
    Just a small adjustment for me I'm Considered essential and am still working. My wife works at a school, she is home and my daughter. On weekends and after work I am doing yard work, spring cleaning and playing with my dogs. Going to try and catch some perch in morning.
    Nothing that I wouldn't have done in first place I never liked crowded places anyway.

Take care everyone and stay safe

Comment

Right now, we're pretty much "status quo".
      Small town USA, the grocery store has been hit pretty hard but there aren't that many people in town.
      Dried goods, rice and beans are still available. Canned goods, mostly tomatoes are still available, just not much selection.
      We're packing up for our trip north next week, so we aren't buying much grocery wise. Fuel prices still good.
      As long as we don't stumble into some type lockdown insanity, trip north should be uneventful.
      Once we get home, things will definitely pick up. Unloading and getting the house livable again after a 4 month absence.

Called the local WalMart. No longer open 24 hours.
      7:00AM to 8:30PM
      Tuesdays only, 6:00AM to 7:00AM, seniors only.
      Should be able to get non perishables relatively easy.

Comment

I work from home anyway so that routine hasn't changed. Except, I would have likely gone to one of the paper mills this next week. Now that will be postponed. PigHuntress has been retired for 10 years so she's normally at home too. The major impact is that we stopped going to the gym and of course she's not getting a tan or nails done. We would have visited a local state park today for a flea market but that event was cancelled.

We're doing a little more cooking on the charcoal grill and drinking a few more adult beverages. Got T-bone steak to cook tonight and will be washing it down with Rolling Rock beer. A couple of nights this week the two of us sang karaoke in the living room.

Last night I tried new material. She says I did pretty good with "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" by Frankie Valli and with "Amarillo By Morning" by George Strait. The big surprise was how well I did with "Piano Man" by Billy Joel. I went down the hard rock road with some Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, and Nirvana but don't think I'm good enough for singing those in public. And of course I did a few of my old staples with "Can't Help Falling In Love With You" by Elvis, "Losing My Religion" by REM, "Tennessee Whiskey" by Chris Stapleton, and "Neon Moon" by Brooks & Dunn.

PigHuntress tried new material too but didn't do so well on her version of "Piano Man", however she was excellent with "Over The Rainbow". She was also great on some of her usual favorites: "The Rose" by Bette Midler, "I Fall To Pieces" by Patsy Cline, "At Last" by Etta James, "Dream A Little Dream Of Me" by The Mamas And The Papas, "Unbreak My Heart" by Toni Braxton, and ending the night with "Me And Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin.

The physical inactivity is getting to me so tomorrow I'm going hiking on some new trails near my favorite river... Next Saturday we'll probably go to our friends' house for karaoke since our favorite bar is closed.

Comment

Not much. Mopping up a few taxidermy projects. That has ground to a standstill due to not being able to cross the border for supplies. I might be able to push the commercial trade loophole but it's not necessary. Not enough clients to justify the hassle ... or the risk. Many stores are still open but social distancing is easy enough as they are pretty much empty except grocery markets. I have spent most of the week watching Wall Street and TSX and discussing options with investment counselor. And trying to chase down my African trophies in transit. What a mess that was! Frantic to make sure they didn't get stuck in an airport warehouse when the province gets totally locked down. Storage fees in those joints are a killer! The handoff between customs broker at Toronto and the freight hauler was loose in the extreme. My crate disappeared. After two days of generally making myself a pain in the arse the crate finally was traced on Friday to a terminal about half way here. If they moved freight on the weekend, my trophies will be here Monday. Dropped by the lumber store today when picking up a few groceries to look at wood for the plaques. The place was empty and I was surprised to see it open for business. They have a very pretty plank of zebra wood but a bit rough. I don't have a planer but they may know someone who can clean it up. I think for the time being I'll hang most of the stuff on the wall naked. The buffalo skull will be a challenge. It should keep me busy through the week. Keep my mind off crumbling investments. Been snowing again and cold. Tough to do any hiking with dogs . Crusty and deep.

Comment

RIP Kenny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xs17f0MApA
            Last edited by jhjimbo; 03-21-2020, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              RIP Kenny.

Kenny Roger's was born in a hole in the road town. Crockett, Texas.
              Claimed Houston, about 120 miles south as home.

Comment

Made a quick trip to the range. Had a Dentist apt. Catching up on re-loading. Had a 6mo. Dr check up. I save all my house maintenance, if I can, to the winter time so I am completing that list. Other than the apts I have been in since the 12th.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Kenny Roger's was born in a hole in the road town. Crockett, Texas.
                  Claimed Houston, about 120 miles south as home.
                  Bubba sounds like he pulls the wings off butterflies.

Comment

I'm self-employed and the cows gotta be fed regardless, so really not much has changed in that regard except for church being cancelled and trying to avoid unnecessary contact with people.

As for keeping busy, we closed on a house on Monday so we spent all week getting the new house fixed up enough to move into and then moving our belongings.
                    The new house still needs a lot of work, but how much we'll actually be able to accomplish with all the lockdowns remains to be seen.

Comment

Bubba sounds like he pulls the wings off butterflies.
                      Hey, us old east Texas boys all have a few quirks!
                      It's you yankee boys that think you're perfect! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
                        I'm self-employed and the cows gotta be fed regardless, so really not much has changed in that regard except for church being cancelled and trying to avoid unnecessary contact with people.

As for keeping busy, we closed on a house on Monday so we spent all week getting the new house fixed up enough to move into and then moving our belongings.
                        The new house still needs a lot of work, but how much we'll actually be able to accomplish with all the lockdowns remains to be seen.
                        Congrats on the new home!

Comment

RIP Kenny.

Yep, makes me want to try once again to properly sing "Lady". I've really slaughtered it in the past. There's no way my voice is as smooth as Kenny's was.

Comment

An interesting development. I only subscribe to the bare minimum cable TV package. Just discovered my provider has opened up all the channels free of charge. Apparently an effort to help make self quarantine more tolerable. I will bump up and pay for it anyway. They're doing their part to help me. I'll do my part to help them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                              An interesting development. I only subscribe to the bare minimum cable TV package. Just discovered my provider has opened up all the channels free of charge. Apparently an effort to help make self quarantine more tolerable. I will bump up and pay for it anyway. They're doing their part to help me. I'll do my part to help them.
                              Are you required or just advised ? 240 cases in Ohio and advised to stay in.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Prepping: No, not TP
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                One of my many former vocations was a law clerk, so yes I have taken care of my and my daughter's wills and power of attorney. You need to call a lawyer...
                                Today, 07:49 PM
                              • Prepping: No, not TP
                                by fitch270
                                Sorry in advance for this, but I'm blaming the morbid sob's on here for the inspiration.

My wife and I scheduled an estate planning appointment...
                                Today, 07:14 PM
                              • Reply to Covid-19 !
                                by Danbo
                                See we agree...
                                Today, 07:44 PM
                              • Covid-19 !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Is the summer going to endanger us with another form of transmission of the Covid-19 virus ? That being thru mosquitoes ? There are 3-4 viruses that are...
                                03-28-2020, 06:17 PM
                              • Reply to Prepping: No, not TP
                                by dewman
                                Yep. After dad's fiasco me & the mrs. went through it all again. All I'll add is WRITE IT DOWN. Even the the word of mouth that is known to all.
                                Today, 07:30 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X