Why "Coronavirus" is such a big deal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    China virus closing in on 2,000 deaths and 70,000 cases in China. Cruise ship has 475 confirmed cases, 10% of passengers. Just think if that ship had been allowed to dock? Planes landing in CA have 15 confirmed cases going into isolation.
    So far this year, 17,000 deaths in the U.S. from the seasonal flu. If the China virus can be contained, why can't the U.S. flu be contained ? I think the Government should take a look at that.
    Jim, the CDC's estimate of flu related deaths is one of their major guesses. They factor in a ratio based on flu related hospitalizations and death certificates that list flu or pneumonia as the cause. I believe it's a grossly inflated number intended to scare people into getting the annual shot. The CDC's target is 'herd immunity' and that can only be achieved if the vast majority takes the shot. Right now participation is around 50%.

Most of the deaths are of elderly people which is a group prone to dying of pneumonia anyway. There's no way to test if all of those are flu related and further, there's no way to know what percentage are from the 4 strains that are included in the yearly flu shot. The flu shot is notorious for not being able to adequately protect the elderly from even those 4 strains out of the hundreds possible.
    Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Even though the strains circulating are not covered by current production vaccines, the injection does stimulate an individuals immune system. I heard the other day a person can do the most to stimulate their immune system by getting lots of sleep - a time which the body uses to develop leukocytes and lymphocytes. Mast cell production also benefits from sleep.

Comment

The new virus has just claimed the life of a hospital director in Wuhan.

https://news.yahoo.com/china-reports...024415123.html

Comment

Business channel said a lot of small business in China is down to only a month or two of cash. Don't know what will happen when they can't pay their fixed expenses.

CA is putting 6,500 in quarantine in their own homes. How many will follow that order and not sneak out ? I am worried about this.

I have put about 10% of my investments in cash. I think the market slide will be longer and deeper than people think. Some think warm weather will slow it but right now it is active in places where it is 80 deg.

All it has to do is gain a foothold someplace and it could quickly overwhelm the public health people. It could spread faster than they could do follow up contacts.

Comment

I just saw in the news that we now have 26 confirmed cases here in the U.S.
            One man under quarantine in Cambodia just slipped away and took a flight to Seattle en route to his home in Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              Business channel said a lot of small business in China is down to only a month or two of cash. Don't know what will happen when they can't pay their fixed expenses.

CA is putting 6,500 in quarantine in their own homes. How many will follow that order and not sneak out ? I am worried about this.

I have put about 10% of my investments in cash. I think the market slide will be longer and deeper than people think. Some think warm weather will slow it but right now it is active in places where it is 80 deg.

All it has to do is gain a foothold someplace and it could quickly overwhelm the public health people. It could spread faster than they could do follow up contacts.
              That's one thing that could hurt Trump re-election is if economy goes south!

Look for media to pivot and make this a bigger deal than it is to try and hurt Trump!

With the buffoons the left has put up we would have to go into Zombie apocalypse for them to beat Trump!

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                I just saw in the news that we now have 26 confirmed cases here in the U.S.
                One man under quarantine in Cambodia just slipped away and took a flight to Seattle en route to his home in Oregon.
                that is how it gets out of control

Comment

If he did not have clearance to leave, I sure hope they arrest that SOB and put charges on him. That has to be the stupidest bit of bullsh*t imaginable ! I hope they burn his ass.......damn bastard !

Comment

I think it's pretty much loose. Iran has been having deaths but no cases until they die LOL. Exporting to Egypt. Popping up in different cities in China, Korea, Japan. There are a million Chinese working in Africa. I can't imagine Cambodia, I haven't been there in a quarter century but I don't think from what I hear it's gotten any better, everything for sale, no laws, no police that can't be bought, no medical care, still run by Hun Sen who is actually KR. Cambodia is the place to go to get your passport stamped and an onward flight to wherever you want. Northern California just found one. The older you are the worse your chances. 80% of deaths are people over 60, split 30% from 60 to 70, 30% 70 to 80, and 20% 80 and older because there aren't that many people over 80. 65% of deaths are men. Smokers get it worse. Chinese men smoke like a chimney.

I bought tickets for my kids and I, a week on Thai beaches then cross the Mekong up by Burma and wind around northern Laos all the way over to the Viet side then on up into Sipsongbana China, was going to go see my old buddies before they all kick the bucket, maybe a lot of us won't be around much longer. Don't' think I can get my money back.

Comment

American Indians and Alaska Natives have the highest smoking rate of any racial or ethnic group. ...

Comment

Don't forget that much of the developing world including many places in China still use solid fuel for cooking and heating. It's basically 3/8ths of the world's population.

The Indoor air pollution from solid fuel is responsible for so much chronic illness and death around the world it's unbelievable.

At first I wasn't concerned about the COVID-19 but there are a couple of alarming facts that are making me more cautious.
                        1. Apparently it's possible to catch the virus multiple times.
                          1. According to some news sources, the antibodies your body creates after exposure to the virus, don't last very long, and it's possible to catch the virus again. If you're already weak from the 1st time, a 2nd time is bad news.
                        2. Viral Clusters popping up all over outside of China means that China does not have this under control. Couple that with their shady numbers, and I think we have a right to be concerned about those from China and have been near to China
                        3. There are new indications that the incubation period for the virus could be longer than the currently believed 14 days, with patients testing positive after much longer periods of quarantine. Some more than twice as long, and then testing positive.
                        I think everyone should have some emergency preparedness kits. N95 masks are cheap at hardware stores. I don't think it'd be a bad idea to have a few weeks worth of non-perishable food in case you feel the need to shelter in place.

That being said most of the deaths are still thru 2ndary infection and for those most vulnerable (compromised immune systems, the very old, the very young, those previously sick)

Comment

And now Rush Limbaugh has chimed in saying that the new COVID-19 virus is nothing more than the common cold being weaponized to bring down Donald Trump, as part of a conspiracy to explain the economic downturn during an election year.
                          He is making us all look bad.
                          Reminds me of the Barry Goldwater presidential campaign when his slogan was , "In you heart, you know he's right."
                          The democrats came back with "In your gut, you know he's a nut!"

https://news.yahoo.com/rush-limbaugh...134318856.html
                          Last edited by 99explorer; 02-25-2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I'm not going to worry, unless I start having dreams about a kindly old black woman in Nebraska, or a dark-cowled man out in the desert.

Comment

Near Huwan is the only Military Level 4 containment research lab in China that could very well have developed this virus.

Comment

CDC said today 2/25, Americans should prepare for the virus. They said it was expanding faster and wider than before. How to prepare: keep hands away from nose, eyes and mouth and wear a mask when out as well as light cotton gloves. Stop shaking hands and kissing. Bump elbows instead. I go so far as to carefully open any package that says made in China. I use cotton gloves and don't breath the air from the package.

Have some bleach available and a sprayer to spray a 10% solution. Viruses can live some days on a smooth surface, maybe 10, 14 or more.

Build up a supply of critical drugs.

Stay away from crowds and where they have been

If your heat is forced air, get filters of MERV 13 or better. They trap 0.1 micron particles. Also when changing the filter don't shake it to release particles back into the air.

Work at home if you can. Put off any travel and wait and see if this virus re- appears in 2021. I would not use public transportation if possible.

Store some non-perishables.

Naturally, a lot of these are if it presents a existential threat. Also, google China Virus and it will give you ideas on how to protect your pets from getting it.

Anybody else have some ideas, pass them on

Don't believe everything the Government says, but do your due diligence for yourself - stay informed.

Jim.
                                Last edited by jhjimbo; 02-25-2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad