Execution by firing squad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Execution by firing squad.

Here is a very reasonable request, but where will they get the shooters?

https://news.yahoo.com/death-row-inm...145830408.html

Perhaps he could donate a couple of pints of blood before the execution.

Comment

Maybe borrow some shooters from Utah. The first execution after Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty was by firing squad in Utah. Not sure if they still do it that way there ... or at all.

This is obviously a ploy to buy the guy more time. Very creative lawyers.

If a firing squad is set up according to Hoyle, the guns of the six shooters are all loaded for them secretly. One gun has a live round and the others are blanks. The theory is that none of the shooters will know who actually killed the condemned. But of course any experienced shooter can tell if his gun is shooting blanks or a real slug. Blanks don't have any recoil. Duh!
      Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 01-14-2020, 08:13 PM.

Comment

I believe it is more humane to have all the members of the firing squad firing live ammo, and just one shooting a blank.

https://www.livescience.com/10710-de...d-carried.html

I have watched newsreel footage of actual executions and the target individual always showed multiple bullet holes in the front of his shirt.
        Last edited by 99explorer; 01-14-2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
          Read the context in that article. It appears something is missing; "Of the five guns, one was loaded with a blank so that no one would be able to determine who fired the fatal shot." That doesn't make sense. Four guys would be firing the fatal shots (plural). It should read "Of the five guns, only one was loaded with a live round so that no one would be able to determine who fired the fatal shot." I remember well when this guy was executed and the attendant publicity. There was only one live round.

If you are talking about footage of wartime executions, yes everyone in the firing squad undoubtedly gets live ammo. Finding blanks on the battlefront could be rather difficult I would think. Also presumably everyone in the firing squad is experienced at taking life (it's wartime) and mentally conditioned for the job of carrying out an execution. Mutilating bodies is also less distasteful during combat situations. Hiding the live round shooter fits the tradition of executioners being anonymous by wearing hoods to protect their identity. This was so they would not be shunned off the job. And to also help executioners mentally do the job. The condemned often protest their innocence right to the end. If he can identify who takes his life on the scaffold, he can look for him in the hereafter ... if he actually is innocent and gets to the right hereafter. The practice of wearing a hood evolved during the Middle Ages I believe. That would make sense. Executions were commonplace then. They were the chief source of public entertainment in the days before theatre was legalized. Without a doubt many undeserving or innocent were executed during the Dark Ages. And executioners often knew the condemned were innocent. Sure, the guy in the hood with the axe was just doing his job ... but would that excuse hold up in the next life, especially if the executioner knew the condemned was innocent? During the Middle Ages people seemed to have been a lot more concerned about their immortal future than we are today. I should add that the best way to justify political assassination back then was to declare a political opponent a heretic or guilty of treason. Both were essentially the same thing since kings were thought to rule by Divine Right. They were acting for God on earth: acting against them was heresy. And heretics were considered the devil's workers, therefore legal to murder. They call it the Dark Ages for good reason.
          Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 01-15-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Of course the shooters themselves would know whether they had fired a live round or a blank, but the spectators would not.

Comment

Here is a video of some firing squad executions of German spies in 1945.
              Viewer discretion is advised.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...7&action=click

Comment

Here is a video of some firing squad executions of German spies in 1945.
                Viewer discretion is advised.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...7&action=click
                Why would you even put something like that up on here? I've seen enough gory WWII stuff. Didn't need to click on this. Very disrespectful for the persons executed. Sure, the condemned were spies for the wrong side but we still need to avoid stooping to the level of SS filming themselves shooting Jews over a mass grave. Sick. The subject of this thread was macabre enough to be borderline inappropriate. I think you went over the line with this link.

Comment

Viewer discretion was advised.

Comment

This forum is exceptional in that viewers see things here that they would not find anywhere else.
                    Let's keep it that way.

Comment

This forum is exceptional in that viewers see things here that they would not find anywhere else.
                      Let's keep it that way.
                      Let's not abuse it ... so it stays that way.

Comment

I guess I'll have to save my guillotine footage for another day.

Comment

Current day Death Row executions should use a overdose of Fentanyl, last best trip they will ever have. Painful, humane execution.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                            Current day Death Row executions should use a overdose of Fentanyl, last best trip they will ever have. Painful, humane execution.
                            If it's painful, how can it be humane?

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

If it's painful, how can it be humane?
                              I omitted NOT painful - in a hurry typo.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Fbi..........
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                And I am sure that this is with the knowledge of the progressive D’s. So the question is, why are they doing this ? Are there covertly issues of such...
                                Today, 01:41 AM
                              • Fbi..........
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                ......there have been some 30 present and former FBI agents who have come forth in support of whistleblowers who have divulged critical information concerning...
                                09-29-2022, 08:45 AM
                              • Reply to TGIF; What’s Up Doc?
                                by PigHunter
                                Thanks! It's a large outdoor amphitheater and wasn't sold out. We were surrounded bya Social Security crowd with few under 50.

Jeff Beck...
                                Yesterday, 09:59 PM
                              • TGIF; What’s Up Doc?
                                by fitch270
                                Good tunes to cure what ever ails ‘ya this week.

Robert Palmer wanting a house call.

09-27-2022, 09:54 PM
                              • Reply to TGIF; What’s Up Doc?
                                by fitch270
                                Nice PH, what sized venue and who replaced Dusty Hill?...
                                Yesterday, 09:41 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X