BUFF is on the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUFF is on the way

One of my favorite planes, the B-52 heavy bomber is on the way. I grew up not far from a B-52 base and they are really something to see in the air and I am sure puts the fear of God into our enemy. Later I was stationed at SAC Hq. which was another B-52 base. If you ever get to see the video of the B-52's scramble from our base in Alaska during the Cuban missile crisis it is really something. One on the tail of another, down the runway, so much they were breaking windows on the base and darkening the sky. Not bad for a plane designed by Boeing in 1952. Carries 35 tons (70,000 pounds) of bombs, takeoff weight almost 500,000 lbs and a range of almost 9,000 miles. In the Air Force we nicknames it BUFF, Big Ugly, Fat, F-ck. Death From Above. CIA should get video's like this into places like Iran. That would shock some sense into them.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...70F6&FORM=VIRE

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    One of my favorite planes, the B-52 heavy bomber is on the way. I grew up not far from a B-52 base and they are really something to see in the air and I am sure puts the fear of God into our enemy. Later I was stationed at SAC Hq. which was another B-52 base. If you ever get to see the video of the B-52's scramble from our base in Alaska during the Cuban missile crisis it is really something. One on the tail of another, down the runway, so much they were breaking windows on the base and darkening the sky. Not bad for a plane designed by Boeing in 1952. Carries 35 tons (70,000 pounds) of bombs, takeoff weight almost 500,000 lbs and a range of almost 9,000 miles. In the Air Force we nicknames it BUFF, Big Ugly, Fat, F-ck. Death From Above. CIA should get video's like this into places like Iran. That would shock some sense into them.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...70F6&FORM=VIRE
    "... That would shock some sense into them. ..."
    No sir, jimbo.
    Fanatical Muslims aren't shocked or scared of anything except to disobey Allah.
    Heck! They'll strap a bomb to their KID'S chest and send them out to kill infidels! (re: Americans, Israelis)

Golda Mier used to say, "Israel will never have peace as long as Palestinian mothers hate Jews more than they love their children.".

Comment

They made pretty good fish ponds across the Plain of Jars. Neatly spaced at 40 or 50 yard intervals in long lines. They hold the rain water in that basalt real good. Didn't do much to dislodge the NVA. People use the casings of the canisters that held cluster bombs for elevated garden boxes out of the reach of chickens and pigs. Big scrap metal business too though people do get blown up.

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
        They made pretty good fish ponds across the Plain of Jars. Neatly spaced at 40 or 50 yard intervals in long lines. They hold the rain water in that basalt real good. Didn't do much to dislodge the NVA. People use the casings of the canisters that held cluster bombs for elevated garden boxes out of the reach of chickens and pigs. Big scrap metal business too though people do get blown up.
        Interesting! Your comment caused me to do a little research and I found the following article. Thanks Rock Rat!
        https://undark.org/2016/09/20/bombsc...-war-and-soil/

Comment

Jim Harris who is mentioned in the article has been working in Laos for years, real well respected by expats and the Lao, he fits in, adapted to how things happen over there and he has gotten a lot done. When Lao people think of Americans they think of people like Jim.

I had no idea where in the heck Saphoon was, and I've been over a lot of Phongsali province. Turns out it's the road from the Ou River and Muang Kua to N Vietnam. It's part of the overland route for supplies to support the war effort. I've stayed in Muang Kua as it's one of the few towns on the upper Ou, and the river used to be the main way down out of Phongsali province. All dammed up now with hydro from what I hear, roads too.

I've always thought of that road and the town of Muang Kua as being more like the next province down than Phongsali. Phongsali itself is mostly high elevation hemmed in between China and Vietnam. The provincial capital had no air con, no need, plenty cold. The local language is different enough that I can't understand it, called Phou Noi and up further Lu, and that isn't even getting started on all the ethnic minorities. I'm hoping to go back with my kids this summer.

The river all up and down for a long way is hemmed in by high mountains on both sides, the F4 pilots would have to fly down below the tops to strafe boats on the river carrying supplies or to bomb depots. I've talked to guys that flew those aircraft. I just can't imagine. Lost a lot of guys. It's where a lot of our MIAs were generated. I feel sorry for the families, they took no prisoners, not even for a little while. No food, no useful info to be gained, dead.

enough on the net, time to go out and look in the snow for elk that aren't there.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to China Virus
            by Danbo
            Very good article Pighunter ! It’s hard for governments to coverup something like that today when most people have smart phones. See pics out of China...
            Today, 12:29 PM
          • China Virus
            by jhjimbo
            Person in Seattle died. Student in Texas under observation. There would be no flu if there was not air travel. Virus hops a plane and can be anywhere...
            Yesterday, 06:15 AM
          • Reply to China Virus
            by PigHunter
            But, there were trains and ships travelling the world. Here's an interesting article on the 1918 flu:
            https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ea...
            Today, 11:30 AM
          • Reply to Memorial
            by Ontario Honker Hunter
            Sigh! You lucky guys. I am looking at snow in the back yard that is up to top of Ellie's back ... and more starting to come down (just a bit though)....
            Today, 11:26 AM
          • Reply to Impeachment a major blunder!
            by 99explorer
            If an impeachment resulted in overturning an election, Hillary Clinton would become president.
            Today, 11:24 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X