Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special training or experience to work the gun counter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note: i never sold any see through rings when I worked there. Now that i dony im more than happy to agree w some Fudd that declares them superior in the face of the poor salesman trying to educate

Sell em all the crap they want. They deserve it.

Comment

There are some very knowledgeable customers ( can learn things from them). And some that want to learn about stuff. Not enough good ones to offset the idiots and A holes though.

Comment

I'd say it's the operator's responsibility to know, whether it's a gun, a gps, a car, or anything else. A salesperson can give advice or offer an opinion but you are supposed to be responsible for your actions in this world. I go to Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabelas, they usually have someone around.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Well, technically the kid in the parts store was correct. Throw-out bearing is not part of the transmission. It's part of the clutch assembly. Standard transmission is essentially the gearbox.
          Well, bless your heart Mr Goodwrench! Next time I need mechanical help, I'll ring you up.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
            I worked in a gun shop. If somebody asked me something I didnt know Id tell em I didnt know. Also sent them to other employees that were more informed. And if nobody knew and they had some time, id hop on the computer and try to find their answer.
            I worked in a LGS in the late 70's.
            I learned a bunch.
            ...and I saw some REAL stupidity and heard some really crazy questions.
            Back in the shop, it was like "Alice In Wonderland" some days from trying to bend a rifle barrel to sight in their scope to drilling "vent holes" in Damascus barrels to shoot modern ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
              I'd say it's the operator's responsibility to know, whether it's a gun, a gps, a car, or anything else. A salesperson can give advice or offer an opinion but you are supposed to be responsible for your actions in this world. I go to Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabelas, they usually have someone around.
              To a point Rock you are probably correct as to the responsibility of the operator to know on his own the operation of ‘what ever’ ! But there is a starting point of learning, and thank heavens some people even make a effort to do so without going off half cocked at the helm of something dangerous to we others !! I feel the first responsibility is that learning process, no matter the number of questions that need to be asked and/or answered.

Comment

I think the Company would rather not have a professed expert behind the counter so as to avoid liability. They would much rather refer to the owners manuals or have a clerk just say 'I don't know'. If a person gives advice that results in an injury, he as well as the Company may be in trouble.

Comment

I know that Scheel's gun sales guys go to some sort of training, I think they call it "Gun School" or something similar. They get to handle and shoot the guns they sell, probably with a bit of rah-rah from the factory reps too. But at least they are a bit familiar with what are on the shelves.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter

Well, technically the kid in the parts store was correct. Throw-out bearing is not part of the transmission. It's part of the clutch assembly. Standard transmission is essentially the gearbox.
                    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Well, bless your heart Mr Goodwrench! Next time I need mechanical help, I'll ring you up.
                    Sorry, Bubba, most phones don't ring any longer, and since OHH is a stickler for technical accuracy, you gotta get with it. I set my phone to vibrate; you can feel it in your pocket.

So, I think you meant to say: "Well, bless your heart Mr Goodwrench! Next time I need mechanical help, I'll feel you up.

Anyway, you're welcome.

Comment

Counter people are sellers, not trainers.
                      Think that avoids liability.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

Sorry, Bubba, most phones don't ring any longer, and since OHH is a stickler for technical accuracy, you gotta get with it. I set my phone to vibrate; you can feel it in your pocket.

So, I think you meant to say: "Well, bless your heart Mr Goodwrench! Next time I need mechanical help, I'll feel you up.

Anyway, you're welcome.
                        At my age, about the only vibration I feel would be a jet engine or a railroad crossing. I'm pretty much numb to anything else.
                        ...but thank you for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind!

I suppose I could follow the old English custom and just go to his home and "knock him up".
                        Last edited by FirstBubba; 12-04-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad