Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special training or experience to work the gun counter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special training or experience to work the gun counter?

More than standard legal procedure for selling firearms and ammunition, do you think an associate in a large store that also but not exclusively handles firearms should have a more personal knowledge of what they sell? That they be very familiar with firearms, ammunition, maybe also accessories? Of course you run the risk of having an obnoxious know it all insult your choice but trusting the hang tag to be 100% correct and having your questions met with blank stares seems to me rather unsettling.

Sounds like Walmart.
    They can ring up the sale, but don't expect technical advice.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
      More than standard legal procedure for selling firearms and ammunition, do you think an associate in a large store that also but not exclusively handles firearms should have a more personal knowledge of what they sell? That they be very familiar with firearms, ammunition, maybe also accessories? Of course you run the risk of having an obnoxious know it all insult your choice but trusting the hang tag to be 100% correct and having your questions met with blank stares seems to me rather unsettling.
      That is a good question dewman ! But I suppose that many stores have a serious problem of just hiring decent help in the first place, not to mention employees who have the ability to have in depth knowledge of things important. But you are very correct in your presumption that an employee dealing in firearms or ammo should be able to give helpful info on a product, but I would not expect it on a regular basis !

Comment

I ask this as yesterday I asked what I thought was a simple yes or no question and ended up with 2 associates and a manager (of electronics ) having a pow wow. Passed at the time and when I came home and googled it their probably ok decision turned out to be a no.

Comment

Many years ago, I visited a chain sporting goods store in New York to pick up a box of ammo for my Enfield rifle.
          I asked the clerk for .303 British, and he handed me a box of .303 Savage.
          When I corrected him, he said it was the same thing.
          If I didn't know better, I would have taken him at his word and bought it.

Comment

I ask this as yesterday I asked what I thought was a simple yes or no question and ended up with 2 associates and a manager (of electronics ) having a pow wow. Passed at the time and when I came home and googled it their probably ok decision turned out to be a no.
            Out of curiosity, care to divulge the question and their "probably ok" reply?

I don't guess I'll ever forget the clerk digging through the ammo shelves looking for .333 G&H Mag ammo! LOL!

...or the kid in the parts store who insisted that my standard transmission did not require a throw out bearing!

Comment

There really aren't any departments in Walmart where they provide any kind of real training on the stuff being sold. I've been lucky with the sporting-goods people at my local store. There's one older guy who's an all-around outdoorsman and knows a good bit about guns and most other merchandise (and always has the facts on license down pat). Another guy, younger, seems to look up to the first guy and always does his best, admitting when he doesn't know something and at least offering to try to find out. Sometimes he'll just tell you when the other guy will be working again. There's also an older woman who knows a good bit. I asked her one time if she hunts but she said no, her husband does, plus she's just picked up a lot of stuff from customers over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Out of curiosity, care to divulge the question and their "probably ok" reply?

I don't guess I'll ever forget the clerk digging through the ammo shelves looking for .333 G&H Mag ammo! LOL!

...or the kid in the parts store who insisted that my standard transmission did not require a throw out bearing!
                Well, technically the kid in the parts store was correct. Throw-out bearing is not part of the transmission. It's part of the clutch assembly. Standard transmission is essentially the gearbox.

Comment

Decided against airing the question or the store as I feel we will get off on one of our famous tangents. Will say it was NOT Walmart. My point was simply: Because we are dealing with something that because of ignorance on the part of buyer or seller could end in tragedy, should the clerks be better trained or at least have familiarity? Related question. Do you think owners manuals and on the box info are enough to shield sellers if they say something wrong when asked a question?
                  Last edited by dewman; 12-03-2019, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Great couple questions Dewman, probably ones that corporate legal should be addressing in some instances.

A guy I know has a saying that stuck with me years ago, “The key to being smart is knowing when you’re stupid”.
                    To me that is the big difference between being ignorant and simply naive. Stores should at least be training employees to NOT guess at answers to questions, and to know the difference between opinion and fact. Having some kind of reference material to look stuff up wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

Comment

Decided against airing the question or the store as I feel we will get off on one of our famous tangents. Will say it was NOT Walmart. My point was simply: Because we are dealing with something that because of ignorance on the part of buyer or seller could end in tragedy, should the clerks be better trained or at least have familiarity? Related question. Do you think owners manuals and on the box info are enough to shield sellers if they say something wrong when asked a question?
                      Good 'nuff!

Comment

I worked in a gun shop. If somebody asked me something I didnt know Id tell em I didnt know. Also sent them to other employees that were more informed. And if nobody knew and they had some time, id hop on the computer and try to find their answer.

Comment

Btw, 99 times out of 100 the customer is wrong. Fine line between informing and offending, since every friggin gun owner knows everything, about guns, trucks n women.

If its not a safety issue I wont try to inform/ correct. Not worth the energy. Even if in good faith it received, most so stupid as to forget and twist it around.

Comment

I only offer info when asked. No longer work in a gunshop, but hang out at one. When staff busy ill look stuff up for customers on the pc. Work 2nds so am up after work with nothing to do but geek out at home...lots of gun forums/ sites been travelled. So chances are good I know where to find an answer

Comment

Loved the customer w 1000 questions , that had to handle everything, burn salesman clock 2 hrs per visit. On the 7th visit shows up w something completely not what he asked about all the times before. Junk he paid top dollar for someplace else.....and it sucks, wants top trade in on what he asked about before.

In his defense claiming it was cheaper and his buddy said it was better.

Usually a total redneck or an engineer that pulls that stunt. Like it when they cuss you out for selling the wrong ammo or scope....and the brand not even carried by the shop.
                              Had one honked off customer bring his crap in , mad..... claimed he bought it there. Was from chain store, in bag w friggin receipt ( mom and pop store i worked at ).

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad