A growing problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A growing problem.

Guess we're cursed to deal with these nasty creatures!
    It's pretty awful that stupid people are helping them to spread.

https://www.agweb.com/article/pigs-d...-chris-bennett

Bubba, don't tell me you're surprised by this. It's old news and unfortunately I know someone who has illegally moved pigs into an area.

I'm taking the .300 BLK tomorrow primarily to hunt for pigs at the WMA. But I'll shoot a buck if one makes a showing. The small valley has thick undergrowth, is marshy, and has lots of acorn trees, so it's a perfect place for pigs.

Wednesday, I sighted in a new scope on one of my uppers (Nikon Tactical 2-7x). My handload uses the Barnes 110 grain TAC-TX and I've read great reviews on the performance of that bullet. Hopefully I'll have some direct experience to write about tomorrow night. Shots could be at short distances and I've removed the 8-inch suppressor to make the rifle quicker to move around in undergrowth. I'll be wearing the new electronic muffs I bought a few months ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Barnes 110gr TAC-TX.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	718951

Comment

Surprised? Not really.
      Frustrated? Without a doubt!
      Guy used to trap them down on Red River. He sold them to a fenced (?) ranch in Texas that sold hunts.
      Knew an old boy (R.I.P.) down in E. Texas that moved some into an area so he could hunt them!

...but moving them to another state to use as cover for night poaching?
      Talk about somebody that needs to have his butt kicked until his nose bleeds!
      I guess I'm just too familiar with the nasty things.
      Down along the Red River between Burkburnett, TX and Ardmore, OK is a research area called the Noble Foundation. They work with all kinds of agricultural activities.
      They have done ALOT of research on feral hogs!
      Ferals are here to stay.
      Texas A&M university has developed a "pig specific" toxin to poison them with, but public sentiment (tree/bunny huggers) won't allow anyone to use it.
      I've seen the destruction they can cause.

Sadly, like (D)'s, nothing you say will change their minds on the subject.

P.S. - I used to trap them too! Not one ever left one of my traps alive!
      Last edited by FirstBubba; 11-29-2019, 02:16 PM.

Comment

African Swine Fever might solve this problem, while creating another.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...-pigs-in-china

Comment

Isn't that why the Michigan DNR killed Russian hogs on some farms (supposedly bred for meat)?
          My guess is that folks were selling some on the side so others could use them to seed new areas.
          Coon hunting, prices low..............hey, how bout some boar dogs? (new market for the hillbillies and gamblers).
          DNR had some wild pigs on trail cam at F&W area not far away.
          Think they got killed off pretty quick. No new reports of any.

Law against importing pigs. Plus Michigan being north one state, kinda slammed the door on the "pig explosion".

Think folks had a decent start on a pop in southern part of state but they got killed off.
          Not near the number there were.

Of course dweebs that don't hunt buy an AR are all about spreading the rumor on gun forums. Comical.

DNR has some blurb in regulations. Think pigs in Indiana are on the way out (excluding the herds at Walmart today).

Comment

"... Law against importing pigs. Plus Michigan being north one state, kinda slammed the door on the "pig explosion". ..."

Back in the late 40's or early 50's, Mexican sheep/goat herders were having a big problem with coyotes.
            Someone got the wise idea of importing the true Russian boar into northern Mexico.
            If the pigs ever found a coyote den, they would dig it up and kill and eat whatever was in the den.
            Well, they got rid of their coyotes! Guess what Texas got?

Comment

Mexican pig farmers?

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                Mexican pig farmers?
                Among other things penicillin won't cure!

Comment

It doesn’t matter how bad a situation might become, if someone sees a way to profit from it, that situation will be a factor for everyone ! Greed is a universal issue, no matter the consequences ! With some of the public against poison for hogs, and some making money off of them, hogs will always be with us, and always on a much escalating spiral ! Hang onto your shorts, we are in for a long haul !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                    It doesn’t matter how bad a situation might become, if someone sees a way to profit from it, that situation will be a factor for everyone ! Greed is a universal issue, no matter the consequences ! With some of the public against poison for hogs, and some making money off of them, hogs will always be with us, and always on a much escalating spiral ! Hang onto your shorts, we are in for a long haul !
                    Yes sir!
                    The article I linked to says that the population has to be reduced by as much as 75% annually to keep the population level.
                    YIKES!
                    That's LOTS of dead pigs! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Yes sir!
                      The article I linked to says that the population has to be reduced by as much as 75% annually to keep the population level.
                      YIKES!
                      That's LOTS of dead pigs! LOL!
                      I can guarantee you Bubba, if someone could find a way to make money off dead feral hogs, the problem would be quickly solved ! C’mon man, put your brain power to work, you could become a millionaire over night !!

Comment

No luck this morning. So far I've not seen fresh pig sign in the two WMA's I've hunted. But it's still early in the season.

Comment

Put a bounty on them, $100 per tail, payable out of Miss Piggy's Foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                            No luck this morning. So far I've not seen fresh pig sign in the two WMA's I've hunted. But it's still early in the season.
                            About a week ago, we were driving a dirt road that ran between two huge wheat fields. Wide open spaces about as far as you could see, when out of the ditch jumps 2 sows of 200+ pounds, 1 sow of about 125 pounds and about 20 little, what I call "whole smokers".
                            They would probably go 20 to 30 pounds on the hoof.
                            That dresses out about 10 to 15 pounds and will fit in my smoker whole.
                            Most of them still had stripes.
                            They haven't had time to develope much in the way of diseases and parasites. Them I'll dress out!
                            Bigger than that is buzzard bait!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

About a week ago, we were driving a dirt road that ran between two huge wheat fields. Wide open spaces about as far as you could see, when out of the ditch jumps 2 sows of 200+ pounds, 1 sow of about 125 pounds and about 20 little, what I call "whole smokers".
                              They would probably go 20 to 30 pounds on the hoof.
                              That dresses out about 10 to 15 pounds and will fit in my smoker whole.
                              Most of them still had stripes.
                              They haven't had time to develope much in the way of diseases and parasites. Them I'll dress out!
                              Bigger than that is buzzard bait!
                              Most of the time I just take the backstraps and some of the hams. I'm only going to take the whole animal out of the woods if it's what you call a "whole smoker". Good term!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad