Happy Thanksgiving !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

We had the big carry ins growing up. My mom had a few siblings and it would rotate each yr. Host provide meat, everybody else brought everything else. Avg 4 cousins per aunt/ uncle.....we had some great times, no drama ( ran like a swiss watch ) and the kids playing football....it was serious. ER visits a few times. Gal cousins BFs learned real quick LOL.

But we got older, married, had kids and Grammy died.

That was the end of the Norman Rockwell type holiday.

Think about the old gal often.

Comment

Did the inlaw crap for about 12 yrs.
        No longer married.

Its all about the mellow.

I got a grill and venison brats. Am good to bach it for the day

Comment

Am thankful for a safe and successful deer season. Cuz and I bucked out. Pretty content.

Comment

Going to wife's sisters. Turkey, ham, potatas and gravy, yams and cranberries, casseroles. Some pies. Pretty tame compared to you fellas. All the men are Christian, pro 2A, hard working-decades at their jobs. We all say please and thank you. Kids are polite & respectful because now is when they announce their Christmas lists. No drama. Football will be what's on but no teams we care about so it's mostly background noise. Stay safe fellas.

Comment

For years our Thanksgiving was always at my parents house, after dark thirty because the guys would be hunting. Slowly the number of guests dwindled to where it was just me hunting so dinner got moved back to early afternoon. Maybe 10 years ago my sister took over the role of host, with her in-laws included. Last couple years the boy and I hunted and we had a basic dinner with my “aunt” who lives in the original farmhouse from our property. Nice, but a little quiet from all the previous years.

This year will be a little different. The church my FIL is pastoring has it’s turn hosting the community Thanksgiving dinner in town. We’ll be working in some capacity before, during and after. Not exactly going to be relaxing but I’m kind of looking forward to it. Took Friday off work so still have a three day weekend afterwards 😎.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                My mother was the oldest of 14 !!!! 11 girls and three boys. And Grandpa was a farmer.
                He must have been a damned good one, he planted quite a bunch of seeds ! At least 14 that took root. Wonder when he found the time to really farm !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                  Leaving early AM Tuesday for 12 hour drive to Tenn, to have Thanksgiving with my daughter and Grandson ! Taking the time now to wish everyone a safe and Happy Thanksgiving with your families ! Best wishes !
                  Safe travels to and back ! Enjoy your time with the family.
                  Please don't go for seconds on the pie 😋

Comment

Off Thurs, work Fri, off Sat/Sun.
                    Something is gonna get popped, as cuz and I will be hunting together all four mornings.

Comment

Richard, Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels!

Comment

The kids and ol lady will be at a half siblings Sat/Sun for baby shower crap.
                        Proly head down Fri to spend the weekend there and shop.
                        Which means I'll hand em cash for X mas on Thurs.
                        Easy for me.
                        I'll proly fix up some stuff around the house while they're gone.

Warm out today. Might swing by hunting spot. Not hunt, just keep tabs on the place.
                        Grab a sandwich and sit out there for a spell.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

He must have been a damned good one, he planted quite a bunch of seeds ! At least 14 that took root. Wonder when he found the time to really farm !
                          Those girls did their share, but still, if he'd had 14 boys (or even just 5 or 6) what a free-labor force! He'd have been the most successful farmer in the state, probably. Not to be sexist, of course -- but as my mom herself used to point out, the girls were able and willing but it was still the 1940s and 50s. A lot of the work involved things that girls just didn't do.

Gramps was a good guy, but never a very good farmer. He liked his beer too much. And with that number of mouths to feed, he always had a factory job along with the farm. Of the three boys, one died in infancy, one had spinal meningitis, and the other left the nest as soon as he was able (they were poor and the kid had 11 big sisters, enough said). I don't know if Gramps ever did have any hired hands of his own.

He still had a couple horses in the 1970s. Locally he was somewhat famous (or infamous) due to his habit of riding one of them to town when he wanted to visit the tavern. No matter what condition he was in at the end of the night, the horse always knew the way home.

Comment

Thanks to the well wishers for safe travels from some on the site. Am presently in motel in Louisville, Ky., on return to Michigan. Raining here, looks like the 6 hour drive will be longer today. Have since start of trip on Tues. and yesterday some 1200 miles driven on drive to Memphis. Traffic conditions have been brutal on this old man, but the trip has been successful in being with family, maybe not too many more occasions forthcoming !
                            Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 11-30-2019, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How Many Died
                              by CD2
                              Drug addicts are like drowning people.
                              They will probably pull you under if you get close to try and save them.
                              They are pulling society down...
                              Today, 02:38 AM
                            • How Many Died
                              by jhjimbo
                              On Tucker Carlson last night he said 750,000 died from Opioid overdose in a ten year period. More then WW I, WW II, Korea, Vietnam, combined.
                              01-16-2020, 11:04 AM
                            • Reply to How Many Died
                              by CD2
                              You are right, back in the day, 30 yrs or so ago, a guy could be a bit of a dumbarse and clean himself up, get a factory job or education and be civilized/normal....
                              Today, 02:36 AM
                            • Reply to How Many Died
                              by CD2
                              Kids today, most of them, have way over inflated egos.
                              Mommy and daddy have told them they're special, when they aren't.
                              Social media warps...
                              Today, 02:22 AM
                            • Reply to How Many Died
                              by CD2
                              Blue collar town.
                              Urbans and hillbillies (democrats).
                              There are some good kids.
                              But the public school system has mostly liberal teachers/admins...
                              Today, 02:18 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X