Apple or Pumpkin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    Apple AND pumpkin, and if I'm lucky, blackberry. And anyone who shows up with Cool Whip is renounced as a heretic. Homemade whipped cream only, and with the apple pie, a nice chunk of extra sharp cheddar.
    If the site still had the best answer option you'd get it for the homemade whip cream comment, plus points for blackberry pie which along with blueberry are the only fruit type pies I like.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      Anybody ever had "Jeff Davis" pie?
      It's actually a syrup pie.
      My mom is the only person I ever knew that made them. She got the recipe off either a sugar sack or syrup bottle.

...and the "Buttermilk Pie".

Them's old south favorites!
      Had a great aunt who made a sour cream pie. I only found out about it years after she passed away. Her son tried making it for our family reunion one year but it wasn't like his mom's apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
        Pot de Creme, apple pie a la mode, mince pie a la mode
        Had to look up Pot de Creme, as a guy who used to eat a half pound bag of M&M's I'd be all over that.

Comment

So far pumpkin has the lead, but Apple and pecan are too close to call for second.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

If the site still had the best answer option you'd get it for the homemade whip cream comment, plus points for blackberry pie which along with blueberry are the only fruit type pies I like.
            Blackberries is for cobblers, not pies! LOL! Click image for larger version

Name:	20190616_184928.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	718533
            Homegrown "Kiowa" blackberries!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Blackberries is for cobblers, not pies! LOL! Click image for larger version

Name:	20190616_184928.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	718533
              Homegrown "Kiowa" blackberries!
              Blackberries do you right in any kind of dessert recipe. Funny I say that, though: I could pick ten quarts and still just eat most of them in a bowl with milk and sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Blackberries do you right in any kind of dessert recipe. Funny I say that, though: I could pick ten quarts and still just eat most of them in a bowl with milk and sugar.
                I bet I've "et" a ton of 'em that way!
                Good stuff, Maynard!
                There was one little patch of "dewberries" that ripened in mid May.
                There was always enough there for one cobbler and a couple of bowls of berries and milk.
                After the dewberries, everything else was used for cobblers or jelly.
                My gramma and dad "loved" blackberry jam. The seeds eat my lunch! I'm a "jelly" man! LOL!

Comment

My wife makes a good blackberry buckle. She likes to bake, which my daughter has taken to as well.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                    My wife makes pumpkin pie out of pumpkins we grow in the garden.

Tried a bite of Pecan pie at the lodge in Montana at the request of the cook, good flavor but I have a texture thing with food so no go for me.
                    Just let me know what time to be there, I will bring the whipped cream or quality ice cream !
                    You and family have a lot to be thankful for this year !
                    Enjoy 😀

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

Just let me know what time to be there, I will bring the whipped cream or quality ice cream !
                      You and family have a lot to be thankful for this year !
                      Enjoy 😀
                      Will do, you have a great day as well!

Comment

Good luck to anyone hunting on the holiday.

I've been reading an old copy of "Those Hours Spent Outdoors," by H.G. Tapply's son, William G. Tapply. Good essays, really good. He mentions in a couple of them how the Thanksgiving tradition with his dad and him (and Burton Spiller, who they hunted with when William was a kid), was a morning grouse-hunt before dinner. We do the morning deer-hunt, but I'm starting to think a grouse-hunt might be better -- a couple times, either tracking or dragging a deer has led us to miss dinner entirely. Anyway, it's a good book if you haven't read it. William G. Tapply wrote a bunch of good mystery novels, too.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad