Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Erie Low Water Advisory

Issued today.
    The West wind at 35mph is lined up with the length of the Lake and waves are expected to be 9' to 10'. The water will be pushed out of the shallow Western basin and raise the water depth at the Eastern end of the lake. Thus the low water advisory.

Some years ago a friend checked on his 36' boat in one of the local marinas and it was sitting on the bottom from a similar weather set up.

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    Issued today.
    The West wind at 35mph is lined up with the length of the Lake and waves are expected to be 9' to 10'. The water will be pushed out of the shallow Western basin and raise the water depth at the Eastern end of the lake. Thus the low water advisory.

Some years ago a friend checked on his 36' boat in one of the local marinas and it was sitting on the bottom from a similar weather set up.
    We are sending a mountain of water your way! Helluva gully washer here night before last. The rivers are all bursting their banks. Same storm is probably hitting you now.

Comment

Sounds interesting how a big lake like that can do that. Was fishing one time and had it sitting on the bottom with some weight my line when from one side to the other just like that. Funny how fast the current just switched.

Comment

There is a "pass" between Kodiak Island and Afognak Island called "Whale Pass".
        Whale Pass moves according to tidal flows.
        The entire Pacific Ocean seems to be trying to get through the narrow chute between the islands!
        I noted areas as big as 2 or 3 acres looking like they were boiling!
        I asked the Cap'n and he explained about the tide moving between the islands!
        For about 30 minutes, you could fish directly under the boat.
        After that, it took a 2 pound weight to get to the bottom and your hook was still 50 yards behind the boat! LOL!
        Once he explained the phenomena, I watched the water boiling around the boat for the next 10 or 20 minutes, amazed at the force of nature occurring around me!

Comment

My deer spots creek Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191006_132722188.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	716943

Comment

Great Blue Heron has cleaned out the puddles.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
              Sounds interesting how a big lake like that can do that. Was fishing one time and had it sitting on the bottom with some weight my line when from one side to the other just like that. Funny how fast the current just switched.
              Erie is about 250 miles long. The West end is shallow - avg. depth 30 to 40'. Eastern end is deepest at about 225'. Avg. width is about 50 miles.

I just read today Lake Erie, 4th largest of Great Lakes, produces more fish for eating than all the other Great Lakes combined. Walley number 42,000,000 and there are 50 other species of fish in the Lake.

Hour for hour you can catch more fish from Erie than any other Lake in Ohio.

Comment

Hear a lot about more of walleye and perch going on in the lake with some steelhead. I would think Ontario has to be up there with their salmon in the lake. Hard to believe Erie is that good of fishing considering it’s the shallowest out of the Great Lakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
                  Hear a lot about more of walleye and perch going on in the lake with some steelhead. I would think Ontario has to be up there with their salmon in the lake. Hard to believe Erie is that good of fishing considering it’s the shallowest out of the Great Lakes.
                  The DEC estimates because of some monster hatches in 2004 and 2007 the Walleye will be king of fishing for the next possibly 5 to 10 years. Fish hatched in 2004 are now over 30". They live to 20+ years. Not so much for perch. Canada has lax regulations on commercial perch fishing and has decimated the population.
                  Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-26-2019, 12:41 PM.

Comment

That’s what will kill the fishing population very quickly and hear that Canada is doing a lot of commercial fishing nowadays.

Comment

Over the last week or so the strong winds pushed water out of the Western basin toward Buffalo. I heard today, Nov 3, a radio program of some Charter Boat Captains and they said the waves from the storm were 18 to 20' and the worst was by Erie PA. The Western Basin waves actually exposed the bottom in some places. Record wave height on Erie I believe is 30'.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad