X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

If you want to compare .25 cents a gallon to $500-600 head mounts, I’ll trade that anytime too Lol ! :-))
    No shoulder mounts since I discovered I can do Euro mounts myself. LOL!
    All gasoline ain't the same.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I dunno bhr.
    Unleaded w/10% ethanol is 2.249/gal
    Unleaded without ethanol is 2.499/gal

My vehicle will burn either one, but the milage without the ethanol is worth the extra .25 cents a gallon.
    If you want to compare .25 cents a gallon to $500-600 head mounts, I’ll trade that anytime too Lol ! :-))

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

Gas is the same, can be bought at any gas station. Good taxidermy is quite a bit different.......just saying !
    I dunno bhr.
    Unleaded w/10% ethanol is 2.249/gal
    Unleaded without ethanol is 2.499/gal

My vehicle will burn either one, but the milage without the ethanol is worth the extra .25 cents a gallon.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
    Many years ago, the owner of a gas station that I used to tank up at told me they no longer would accept American Express credit cards, which at the time was the only credit card that I had.
    I was compelled to take my business elsewhere.
    Gas is the same, can be bought at any gas station. Good taxidermy is quite a bit different.......just saying !

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Many years ago, the owner of a gas station that I used to tank up at told me they no longer would accept American Express credit cards, which at the time was the only credit card that I had.
    I was compelled to take my business elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    When self employed, I never accepted credit cards due to the charges billed to me by the credit card company, usually about 3.5% ! Many business people would simply add that charge to the customer’s bill originally, but that could result in ill feelings from customers, so I just stayed away from the entire process. Never lost a customer as a result, work spoke for itself !!
    Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 10-23-2019, 09:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I like credit cards because of the rewards program, whereby the customer gets cash in the amount of 1% of the amount charged.
    I have received three $500 checks for my purchases over the past ten or twelve years.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Between my phone and this setup, I can zoom a little, make videos and even convert video to pictures.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	15718478987854308130520873653012.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	716710
    The tripod is second hand from a Bushnell sporting scope.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    But, getting back to cameras, there are lots of advantages to using a small point-and-shoot with portable tripod whenever I'm hiking, boating, or hunting alone. Like I said, using the self-timer greatly helps with selfies. I've tried a selfie stick with my cell phone but never really liked it. I've also used an action camera but again wasn't totally pleased with the results.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    I use a debit or credit card at the gas pump, grocery store, and at large retailer stores. I use cash at restaurants, inside convenience stores, at the package store, and in bars. Cash is also used at flee markets, gun shows, and any time I purchase ammo in person. Finally, I tend to use cash (instead of check) whenever I buy something from an individual or give money to family.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I know two different small business owners who used those scanners. They both gave them up due to costs. I didn't ask any questions. I just took them at their word.
    The fees charged by credit card companies are different than what, if anything, is charged by the banks for debit. Depending on the client or the bank, a fee may be charged to the purchaser. Often the banks give so many free transactions per month and then charge a fee after that, but I am unlimited transactions because I'm an extremely valued customer. Like cheques, bank sometimes doesn't charge transaction fees if the client maintains a certain balance in his accounts. Vendors are, I believe, charged a nominal fee for transactions. Much less than credit card companies charge. I believe Jimbo is probably right, both the credit card companies and the companies who own the machines are charging fees to vendor. Still, having debit is almost compulsory for any business, even a small one, that wants to stay in business. Here customers simply turn around and walk out because so many, like me, just don't carry cash anymore. ALL gas stations have debit because it's a problem if a customer pumps fuel then comes in to pay and there's no way to pay because there's no debit. What do you do then, give the customer a hose and can and tell them to suck it out? To avoid paying transaction fees some stations have tried installing ATMs inside but those things are always a terrible ripoff for fees and don't work half the time anyway. Make life difficult for customers and they don't come back. Almost all gas stations now have card readers on the pumps and many in the States leave the pumps operational via cards even after the station is closed at night. Very handy when I'm driving back to Montana! Curiously, few if any gas stations up here do that. Debit fees are simply the cost of doing business. Don't get on board, and you won't stay in business. Customers will go elsewhere. Vendors simply raise prices and shove the cost of transaction fees off onto consumer. What's new about that?

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    "... There has always been a fee for accepting a MC or Visa. ..."

...and there you have it.
    Flat rate or percent of purchase.
    A small purchase, the flat rate eats up profit pretty quickly.
    Percent of purchase can get to be quite a chunk of change out of your profit margin selling "big ticket" items.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Bubba, There has always been a fee for accepting a MC or Visa. Sometimes several %. However the reader company is a different one that processes the transaction, at least that is how mine was set up.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    Bubba, The Company that clears the transactions provides the reader for little to nothing for using their service. I know, I had one.

I was at a gun show Sat and I estimate about 10 to 15% of Dealers had card readers. They need the connection anyway to call in the purchase info, so it is just a small additional step to get a reader, My car repair guy will give me a 25 to 30% discount and I am sure the Franklins go right into his boats gas tanks. He has about 1,000hp boat. The thing is, every now and then I give him a card to see that the bill is a reasonable so he did not pump up a bill so he can then back it down in lieu of cash.
    I know two different small business owners who used those scanners. They both gave them up due to costs. I didn't ask any questions. I just took them at their word.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    '99, I don't know what money you are using but 12 folded U.S. 100's would fit in a credit card holder.
    I don't want to keep all my eggs in one basket.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad