Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
    I've been saving this:
    Is that a selfie ?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	716608 I am going to get some film and take my 35mm as well as my digital hunting . There are some scenes I would like some good quality prints of. Cannon is a SD1000.
      Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-21-2019, 11:35 PM.

Comment

I gave up on film many years ago. It's inferior in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

HAHAHAHA, Flip phone! That still gets me every time you mention it!

It's exactly why I have a flip phone. Smart phone wouldn't last one year with me. This Kycera phone I have now was supposed to be indestructible but I see the crystal is cracked. It went swimming the other day when I fell in up to my boobs while duck hunting. Not a problem. I also hate having bulky stuff in my pants pockets. Don't carry a regular wallet either. Flip phone in left front pants pocket. Keys and thin cards wallet in right front pocket (VI"SA, debit, drivers license, OHIP health card, firearms license, Canada permanent resident card, outdoors card [hunting/fishing license]). Comb in right rear pocket (just for sentimental reasons now). I seldom carry any cash because my bank gives me unlimited free debit card transactions and everyone here takes debit (cash only at the trap club though so I have to remember to stop at ATM along the way there). Only carry the cheque book to church. It's a fancy leather thing my daughter gave me a couple of years ago. Goes in with the comb and I never know it's there.

I spend too much time on the computer at home. Don't need to be hauling it along with me ... ESPECIALLY when hunting. I value that time away from technocrap. Make it me and nature as much as I can. Maybe that's old fashioned but I think it's too bad more folks aren't the same way. Building a closer relationship with the environment might make them more conscious about making it last.
          Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 10-22-2019, 05:50 AM.

Comment

I find in the last few years, I have not been much in taking photos, but do on occasions carry a small digital camera which takes excellent pictures. Mostly now I have been using my iPad for photos around the house or yard. The quality and sharpness of photos is amazing and even when magnified there is no distortion. The convenience is not all that great, but when usable, the quality can not be better !

Comment

OHH, I understand and appreciate the flip phone has some appeal because of it's hardiness. Just poking fun.

I'm the opposite from you on cash though and prefer to use it for most transactions away from home. There's less chance of getting my debit card number stolen. I never let my card out of sight and will only pay cash in restaurants and bars. So, usually I'm carrying several hundred dollars and need a wallet or money clip.

When hunting around water, my cellphone is usually in a waterproof bag of some kind. Even if it's just a zip-lock.

Comment

Honker - Don't you carry a pocket knife and a handkerchief?
                Or are you one of those thumb-in-the-nostril guys?

Comment

OHH, I understand and appreciate the flip phone has some appeal because of it's hardiness. Just poking fun.

I'm the opposite from you on cash though and prefer to use it for most transactions away from home. There's less chance of getting my debit card number stolen. I never let my card out of sight and will only pay cash in restaurants and bars. So, usually I'm carrying several hundred dollars and need a wallet or money clip.

When hunting around water, my cellphone is usually in a waterproof bag of some kind. Even if it's just a zip-lock.
                  Stealing debit card numbers is pretty much a thing of the past. ATM makers have changed designs so cameras can't be hidden above the keyboard. My card wallet has the protection built into it so cards cannot be scanned by someone standing next to me. I have been using my debit card exclusively on a daily basis for purchase transactions for probably twenty years here without a problem (Canada has always been WAY ahead of States in furnishing that technology). I don't keep track of the transactions very closely but I don't need to. Can't remember the last time I was overdrawn. I did have a problem with identity theft a few years ago but it had nothing to do with my debit or VISA cards. Pretty sure that was an inside job security leak at the bank. They made good on it.

Carrying cash can be more risky. One of my clay shooting partners was in Italy last year and got ripped off by a pickpocket while standing in a subway waiting for it to leave. Two of them got on the car and bumped their way through the crowd then jumped off just as it left. The twerp took cash out of my friend's pants pocket while leaving the credit cards. The cops said pickpockets usually don't bother with cards these days because it's too easy to make them dead. Also if they get caught with someone's cards, they are off to jail. But cops can't prove the cash doesn't belong to them. I experienced the reverse while working as a park ranger in Alaska when a woman visitor put a $50 bill in my front pants pocket without my knowledge. Kinda wish she had not been so slick about it. I might have enjoyed that. Also, our "paper" money up here is no longer paper. It's some kind of "polymer" plastic with countless security features (including a transparent window strip with metallic images). Very pretty and virtually impossible to forge but also incredibly slippery. Those bills have a way of migrating out of my pocket on their own!

Click image for larger version

Name:	5_front.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	716632

I formerly did the ziplock bag trick with my old flip phone but it's not very handy if someone calls to have to dig it out and unzip the bag. Especially with cold hands. In the canoe my camera goes in a Pelican case but phone stays in my pocket. Doubt I could hear it ringing if it was in one of those cases.
                  Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 10-22-2019, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                    Honker - Don't you carry a pocket knife and a handkerchief?
                    Or are you one of those thumb-in-the-nostril guys?
                    No I don't carry a pocket knife. Never have. Dad always did but I just never wanted the bulk. Trump would be a thumb-in-the-nostril guy. For the rest of us normal folk fishing for boogers requires a smaller digit.

Comment

"Stealing debit card numbers is pretty much a thing of the past."

I disagree. My job requires frequent travel and I've had friends get their card numbers stolen (copied) and it was tracked back to a restaurant waiter. That's one of those cases where your card is out of your sight. To order something online just requires the card's numbers and a billing address. A simple web search will reveal most people's home address. It's easy for a waiter to ask where you're from to help narrow the search. At that point it doesn't matter how good the card security is.

"Carrying cash can be more risky. One of my clay shooting partners was in Italy last year and got ripped off by a pickpocket while standing in a subway waiting for it to leave."

Also a point of disagreement. I've never visited Italy and probably never will. When out of the country or in very crowded situations, my wallet goes into a front pocket. Cash is king in transactions especially where there is no network and definitely where cards are not accepted.

"I formerly did the ziplock bag trick with my old flip phone but it's not very handy if someone calls to have to dig it out and unzip the bag. Especially with cold hands. In the canoe my camera goes in a Pelican case but phone stays in my pocket. Doubt I could hear it ringing if it was in one of those cases."

This is where technology has passed you by my friend. A smart phone's screen can be accessed through the clear cover of a waterproof bag made for phones. I've done it many times. Hands-free bluetooth devices allow you to talk while still paddling and with the phone still protected. I've done that too while paddling back to the boat landing in the dark. Just this month I've got some bluetooth capable shooting muffs that will do the same thing when paired to my phone. Heck, I've even put my smart phone on speaker and had it in the vest pocket of my lifejacket while having a conversation. the sound easily travels through the plastic of the protector.

Comment

Phone, wallet, keys, pocket knife and work badge.
                        Check the 5 before I go out the door, and check em again when I leave the plant.

Phone is smartphone, but I wear carpenter jeans a lot so it fits side pocket just fine.
                        Wallet is bicycle innertube one from Guy Martin's website.
                        Bifold, thin, stays in pocket (grippy). I need to order two more for backsups whenever this one wears out.

Knife, was Benchmade 530 for over a decade. Now is CRKT Model 21. A bit thicker, heavier.......but a little tougher. Big enough to do a deer, or handle some moderate tasks around house/work.

Comment

Deer check ins almost a thing of the past. Even processors say "do it online".
                          Our state went E check a while back.
                          Pretty convenient, but the ritual/social aspect of the deer check ins..........the BS sessions and hot chocolate, waiting to see what others are bringing in.........is gone.

Had some good times the old way.

One nice thing about my smartphone, the Gopro app.
                          Lets me check aim of camera when I can't see the camera's LCD screen.
                          Last edited by CD2; 10-22-2019, 12:42 PM.

Comment

"Stealing debit card numbers is pretty much a thing of the past."

I disagree. My job requires frequent travel and I've had friends get their card numbers stolen (copied) and it was tracked back to a restaurant waiter. That's one of those cases where your card is out of your sight. To order something online just requires the card's numbers and a billing address. A simple web search will reveal most people's home address. It's easy for a waiter to ask where you're from to help narrow the search. At that point it doesn't matter how good the card security is.

"Carrying cash can be more risky. One of my clay shooting partners was in Italy last year and got ripped off by a pickpocket while standing in a subway waiting for it to leave."

Also a point of disagreement. I've never visited Italy and probably never will. When out of the country or in very crowded situations, my wallet goes into a front pocket. Cash is king in transactions especially where there is no network and definitely where cards are not accepted.

"I formerly did the ziplock bag trick with my old flip phone but it's not very handy if someone calls to have to dig it out and unzip the bag. Especially with cold hands. In the canoe my camera goes in a Pelican case but phone stays in my pocket. Doubt I could hear it ringing if it was in one of those cases."

This is where technology has passed you by my friend. A smart phone's screen can be accessed through the clear cover of a waterproof bag made for phones. I've done it many times. Hands-free bluetooth devices allow you to talk while still paddling and with the phone still protected. I've done that too while paddling back to the boat landing in the dark. Just this month I've got some bluetooth capable shooting muffs that will do the same thing when paired to my phone. Heck, I've even put my smart phone on speaker and had it in the vest pocket of my lifejacket while having a conversation. the sound easily travels through the plastic of the protector.
                            Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice travels through a ziplock bag? Really? Who woulda thought.

All pickpockets don't live in Italy. That was just an example. If some American gal in Alaska can put $50 in the front pocket of my dress uniform pants without me knowing it, she certainly could have taken $50 from it too. Who knows, maybe that's how she makes her living. My friend robbed in Italy does not carry a wallet. The cash was taken from his front pants pocket. He was smart enough to not carry a lot with him. Not in his pants pocket anyway. He's the one who encouraged me to get a money belt before going to Africa. Glad I listened. Very comfortable. Forgot I was wearing it. It has a separate zipper pouch for cards and all mine but US and British pounds debit cards went in there while I was travelling. Airports are notorious for pickpockets.

Any vendor who owns a business but doesn't have debit card technology and only takes cash is not going to stay in business long ... not up here for sure. The government regulates banking up here and pushed the debit card technology along vigorously. Makes commerce move much faster. More transactions = more capital movement = stimulated economy.

I NEVER give my debit or VISA cards to ANYONE to take out of my sight. That is dumb! Nowadays almost all restaurants have portable machines that waiters bring to the table. The staff invariably stand away while I do my transaction ... or I tell them to stand away. If the place doesn't have portable machines, then payment is made at the door face to face with staff. For internet transactions (rare) I have a separate card with a very limited purchase cap. I check those very religiously. Same friend has had some problems with internet theft but the credit card company (we use the same bank) has always made good on them.

I find it something of an oxymoron that you are so into phone technology but still carrying a wad of cash in your pocket because you're afraid of debit card technology.

Comment

I don't like carrying much in my pockets either, but I've become a fan of the Wrangler Outdoor pants with interior cargo pockets. Great for carrying my phone and the keyless gizmo for our truck.

What do you guys think about moneybelts for traveling when cash is necessary, but not going to be used often?

Comment

"Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice travels through a ziplock bag? Really? Who woulda thought."

Well, I imagine most electronics are at risk of ruin if they go into the water when you tip over your canoe. The last time that happened to me has to be at least 10 years ago and it was because I had a novice in the boat with me. Both of my canoes are stable and I can stand, polling, in my tandem without tipping it. So, the chances of me taking a swim paddling flat water are about zero.

"Any vendor who owns a business but doesn't have debit card technology and only takes cash is not going to stay in business long ... not up here for sure. The government regulates banking up here and pushed the debit card technology along vigorously."

Well isn't that nice in the great country of Canada. I can assure you that vendors like cash where I live and I'm glad the government is not pushing us into using debit for everything. Perhaps I don't want all my transactions tracked by a bank and have information that can be used against me later. Perhaps some of the vendors like cash transactions as a means of hiding sales from being included in taxes. It sounds like Canada has pushed the technology as a means of getting greater control over the citizens and to make sure they take what they want in revenue.

Consider this, if universal health care is ever passed, it could be a problem if the government decides I'm spending too much on booze

"I NEVER give my debit or VISA cards to ANYONE to take out of my sight. That is dumb! Nowadays almost all restaurants have portable machines that waiters bring to the table."

Again, that's not the standard where I live. I've never seen a portable machine used in a restaurant here in the Southeast.

"I find it something of an oxymoron that you are so into phone technology but still carrying a wad of cash in your pocket because you're afraid of debit card technology."

Your implication that I'm afraid of debit card technology is a stretch and laughable. I use my debit card in many places, but always when I maintain control of it. Once again, my concern is in what happens if it were to leave my sight and that there are some purchases for which I don't want an electronic trail.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin
                                  by CD2
                                  Honestly, I would not feel handicapped running a smooth bore shotgun for deer out to 125 yards or so. If I had to, it'd be the green/black camo old M500...
                                  Today, 12:35 PM
                                • High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin
                                  by Freewolf1
                                  I've seen other threads and comments about putting see through or high rise mounts on a marlin 336 30/30. I understand that these mounts make for a change...
                                  11-27-2019, 07:18 PM
                                • Reply to High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin
                                  by CD2
                                  I had an 835. Older one. It worked fine.
                                  But it was a Mossberg.
                                  I hate a thick wrist on a shotgun.
                                  Read that the new bismuth #2 in...
                                  Today, 12:31 PM
                                • Reply to Outdoor Life !, bu
                                  by PigHunter
                                  Thanks for the heads up about RFC. I just require minute-of-squirrel accuracy and probably wouldn't fit in on that forum.
                                  Today, 12:01 PM
                                • Outdoor Life !, bu
                                  by bowhunter75richard
                                  It has been over a month since anything new has been posted on OL ! Is that site dead in the water, or is there a reason to keep it alive ? Is there...
                                  Yesterday, 06:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X