Snapshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapshot

What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
    I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year for grins. 4X6 prints. Anybody have a good, reasonable film source and development service for prints ? I am thinking aso 200 for daytime. What do you think about outdated film ? Any thoughts ?

I have always gotten good results with ASA 800 film.

Comment

Had a Canon AE1 program w Vivitar zoom. Had a 2x also but rarely used ir.

Run my Sony digital pocket camera now. Older 7meg. Works fine.

Slider phone died so have a halfway decent camera onmy Motorola.

Also have a Gopro hero silver.
      Last edited by CD2; 10-21-2019, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Buds have camera issues. Ive told them go higher meg and step back.
        can always crop later. But noooooo.....they take a pic and chop off heads and other. Cant work with em like that. And they think the pics good. WTH.

I watch for shadows, background, sun.....my pics aint great but they usually OK. Or i take enough that some are usable.

Had a lot of em on disc, hard print from 35mm years ago. Quite the stack. Bunch on computet too.

Got POd and cleaning frenzy couple yrs back.

Threw em all away.

Comment

My give a chit on most things is gone.

Comment

Had a nice 35mm Pentax for many years. Developing, film, etc, got expensive. So I went digital.
            Photo quality? I think digital works fine for stills.
            I don't have tons of screwed up photos and stacks of nondescript negatives.
            I use my phone almost as much as I use my little Z50 Kodak.

Go to a kiosk, upload card/phone. Select the desired shots. Print.
            Easy, peasy!

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
              I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year for grins. 4X6 prints. Anybody have a good, reasonable film source and development service for prints ? I am thinking aso 200 for daytime. What do you think about outdated film ? Any thoughts ?
              I have a small Nikon didital camera 16X. It is zoom and it really works great for my hunting. On trips my wife uses her phone for our pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

I have a small Nikon didital camera 16X. It is zoom and it really works great for my hunting. On trips my wife uses her phone for our pictures.
                I carried my Kodak when I went to Kodiak. (note the added "i"!)
                Generally used the Kodak. Kept the phone in my pocket for unexpected opportunities.
                Worked pretty we. Got some good shots with both.

Comment

I can take some photos with my flip phone and though they aren't great, they're not real bad either. I usually have this Canon PowerShot point-and-shoot camera along in my pocket or daypack. Only 12.1 megapixels but good enough for my needs. Very compact and rugged. I bought the leather bag at a luggage shop in the mall. A coin purse I think. Camera fits in it perfectly. I bought the camera at Salvation Army Store for $35. Included charger, cords, 4 gig card, and manual. I wonder if the thing had ever been used. Second hand stores have lots of great bargains for digital cameras because technogeeks are always upgrading.

Nice thing about digital vs 35 mm (still have all my Nikon 35 mm stuff gathering dust in the closet) is you can see what you just snapped. If it's not what you want, discard and try again. With film camera you might not discover till weeks after the hunting trip is over that camera settings were wrong or lens was catching sun glare, etc.

Comment

My wife and I have been using our IPhones exclusively the past several years but we’re thinking of buying a decent camera setup. Close up stuff is fine and the phones are always handy, but for getting quality pictures at distance they don’t cut it. This came to us trying to get nice shots of the kids playing school base/softball last year. I’m hoping I don’t regret having one in Montana.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                      I can take some photos with my flip phone and though they aren't great, they're not real bad either.
                      HAHAHAHA, Flip phone! That still gets me every time you mention it!

Comment

I've been saving this:

Comment

I use the cellphone for quick pics or if I want to send the photo right away to someone while I'm still in the woods.

When I want really good photos, I've used a Cannon SX530 with 50X Optical Zoom. It was in my pack last Friday when I went scouting. I carry a small tripod and will use the self timer for staged shots with me in the frame. Also, the timer function works well for macro pics from the tripod.

Here's what the 50x zoom will do for you. The first pic is from the window of one shooting house, looking directly down the hill at another shooting house about 270 yards away. You can barely see it so I've drawn a black circle around it...
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0750 - Copy.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	716601
                          Here's the same shooting house with the maximum 50X magnification...
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0751 - Copy.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.9 KB ID:	716600
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by PigHunter; 10-21-2019, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                            I use the cellphone for quick pics or if I want to send the photo right away to someone while I'm still in the woods.

When I want really good photos, I've used a Cannon SX530 with 50X Optical Zoom. It was in my pack last Friday when I went scouting. I carry a small tripod and will use the self timer for staged shots with me in the frame. Also, the timer function works well for macro pics from the tripod.

Here's what the 50x zoom will do for you. The first pic is from the window of one shooting house, looking directly down the hill at another shooting house about 270 yards away. You can barely see it so I've drawn a black circle around it...
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0750 - Copy.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	716601
                            Here's the same shooting house with the maximum 50X magnification...
                            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0751 - Copy.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.9 KB ID:	716600
                            Are hunters allowed to sit both houses at the same time? If so what happens if a deer gets between them, no shooting?

Comment

That's on my brother's land. He doesn't allow both stands to be occupied concurrently.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad