Accurate powders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accurate powders

Being something of a 6.8mm Rem SPC "nut", I searched everywhere for load data, bullets, cases, primers, etc, etc...
    Well sir! Me and old Buckshott00 seemed to be the only people on this F&S site who even realize the round even exists!

I even bought a new loading manual (Speer #14) because it has 6.8mm load data.......
    Wait a minute?
    What's this?
    I want to load 90 grain bullets!
    The "new" manual starts at 100 grain.
    I buy some Hornady 110gr VMax.
    What the......?
    My "new" manual jumps from 100 grain to 130 grain!

Back on line, I dig up data for 90 grain and 110 grain bullets and scribble them in my "new" manual!

Then, I go to a forum specific to the 6.8mm round.
    Everybody there suggests "Accurate 2200" powder.
    Every LGS I go to scratch their heads and say, "Uhhmmm! We don't carry that! I've never heard of it."

A LGS does find it at his supplier and orders me a pound.

Does a body here use Accurate 2200?
    Is it available where you shop?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191014_175016.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	716144Click image for larger version

Name:	20191014_175053.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	716145

Sez right there on the back, "... .223 Remington, 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC. ..."

I have some AA 4350. Have used AA#9 in . 44 mag....but been running WW296 mostly.
    4350 has done well for me in .243 win varmint loads

Comment

I'm not much of a loading bench kind of guy, use IMR 4350 for everything except the 223. Seems to work out ok. Not sure why I use a scale, with the 06 you could probably just dip the case into the powder and pour off enough to seat a bullet.

Out of Barnes I noticed, two left from last year, season opens Saturday. Loaded up 25 cartridges, went down to the range and paid $20, shot 3 bullets, 2" high at 100, just checked out the target through the spotting scope, couldn't walk down or anything. So much for bench rest shooting. Need to shoot the BB gun offhand at some cans so I can remember how to shoot.

Comment

Bubba, Cartridges of the World has the scoop on the 6.8 PPC
        They list from 85 to 115gr. Powders they have data for are: H4198,H322,and Benchmark. H4198 is listed for 90gr at 28.6gr (C) for 3,000 fps and 1800 energy

Comment

Bubba, I don't load for the 6.8 SPC but can tell you that AA2200 is the same burn rate as Reloader 7 which should be comparable. I've rarely seen AA2200 stocked around me

For your 90g bullets you can use the same powders shown for the 100g bullets but you will likely be able to use about a grain more powder (work your way up to it). If you have loads, you can start ladder testing with 3-shot groups starting at the 100g load you like and take .2g increments until you witness accurate groups or signs of pressure.

The Hornady manual has 110g VMAX loads. The highest velocity (2600 fps) powder they list is 25.7g of Accurate 1680. H4198, Reloader 10x, IMR 8208 XBR and H322 all max out at 2500 fos, RL7 and Benchmark both max out at 2400 fps but should give you excellent accuracy. Most of these powders are rare too except for Benchmark and IMR8208 XBR. My best to you in finding a load you like.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
            Bubba, I don't load for the 6.8 SPC but can tell you that AA2200 is the same burn rate as Reloader 7 which should be comparable. I've rarely seen AA2200 stocked around me

For your 90g bullets you can use the same powders shown for the 100g bullets but you will likely be able to use about a grain more powder (work your way up to it). If you have loads, you can start ladder testing with 3-shot groups starting at the 100g load you like and take .2g increments until you witness accurate groups or signs of pressure.

The Hornady manual has 110g VMAX loads. The highest velocity (2600 fps) powder they list is 25.7g of Accurate 1680. H4198, Reloader 10x, IMR 8208 XBR and H322 all max out at 2500 fos, RL7 and Benchmark both max out at 2400 fps but should give you excellent accuracy. Most of these powders are rare too except for Benchmark and IMR8208 XBR. My best to you in finding a load you like.
            No target pics yet as doctor still won't let me shoot. Not even a handgun!
            But yes, I've found a load I like.
            Bore sight is shooting (pre surgery) about a one inch group with the 90 GD bullets and the Accurate 2200.

It gets a bit tiresome chasing down hard to locate components, but as far as I'm concerned, the 6.8mm is worth the effort.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad