Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scenario: you are an adult convert to hunting and you know most, but not all of your state's game laws. In your state, kids unde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario: you are an adult convert to hunting and you know most, but not all of your state's game laws. In your state, kids unde

Scenario: you are an adult convert to hunting and you know most, but not all of your state's game laws. In your state, kids under 17 do not need fishing licenses, and you wrongly assumed your kid did not need a hunting license to accompany you, as a fully licensed, legally hunting adult, and harvest a deer. Your oldest son kills his first buck under your supervision, and is thrilled. A little later, when your son is not with you, the game warden stops you, and you figure out as he is trying to determine who shot the buck that if you lie and say it is your buck, and not your son's, you will walk away with the buck, but if you tell the truth and say you did wrong, the buck gets confiscated and your son is devastated. Would you lie to the warden, or would you tell the truth? Be honest.

I would more than likely lie and say it was mine, just for my son. However, I would be walking away felling like a dumbass for not knowing my states game laws.

Comment

I would know the law first. Knowing the laws is part of being a responsible hunter.

Comment

I would lie. I mean just as long as you had a tag to hunt it.

Comment

You might have to deal with more than just a confiscated buck! Your son might get a fine and lose future hunting privileges among other things depending on the state. That being the case I would probably lie if I were in this situation. It is you and your son's responsibility to know the laws, rules and regs. Ignorance of the law is never an excuse.

Comment

I had a similar situation with fishing. I took my little brothers steelhead fishing and got them both a fish. They were only like 8 yrs old so I figured they didn't need a tag and that I needed to put it on my own. Wrong! Little kid harvest tags are $6 and everyone has to have one. A sheriff watched us from a mile away on a spotting scope. He asked me about my fish and i told him the truth. In the end, He let me off with a warning and we got to keep the fish. However, he was not fully aware of all the rules either. I was fishing in an area that allowed 3 steelhead to be kept and I had 2. He tried to write me a ticket for fishing after my limit until I showed him the regs. Moral is tell the truth and know the rules.

Comment

In my state not knowing the law is not a defense. By signing the license you acknowledge that you understand the laws, therefore you have no defense.

Comment

I have heard of game wardens pulling you apart from your hunting buddy and asking yall the same questions and seeing if you are lying. So it would be hard to lie. But I guess if you saw him coming and you had time to lie you could pull it off, but then it would be even harder on your conscious cause you had to plan it out with your son! I would lie.

Comment

Tell the truth and it will set you free.

Comment

I'd tag the deer with my tag and lie to the game warden. I wouldn't be proud of it but it beats losing the deer.

Comment

As an avid Sportsman, tell me the truth and it “may and I say may” cost you. Lie to me and it will cost you everything!!

Of course ignorance of the law is no excuse, but I do understand reading there regulations and the interpretation of the regulation and for the person that wrote it doesn’t understand it either especially after print. You may have to go 4 to 6 separate different pages to figure it out. This may be your best defense!

BUN DAR, DUN DAT!

Bottom line, would I lie about it? NO! This is a valuable lesson for both you and the youngster will learn! I’d rather have something to go wrong in my presence rather than to try to lie my way out of it.

Bring them up in the ways of a Sportsman and they will be Sportsman!

If I was the Game Warden and you told me the truth, I’d probably and more likely cut you some slack, just don’t do it again!

Comment

Clay I couldn't agree more, this is a teaching opportunity, this is a chance for you to man up and say I was wrong and I accept the consequences for my actions. You will be teaching your son responsibly and integrity, you will not just say "do the right thing" you actually have a chance to do it. This is a life lesson that will live with your son much longer than any venison or trophy mount will. This is a great question because it is about so much more than a deer, it is about honesty and integrity and doing the right thing even if it isn't easy.

Comment

Tell the truth, Officers are taught to detect if somebody is lying. Not to mention what kind of message are you sending you son. Even if you get away with it at the time, your son will likely figure it out someday. I can understand that you might be new to hunting but half the fun of hunting is the planning, and preperation. Lastly I know some game wardens and most of them are pretty decent people, tell the truth and they may surprise you. Even in the deer is confiscated and you get a ticket you will have learned a good lesson that you can pass on to others.

Comment

These are all quality answers, but so far I think Golfing Sportsman and Clay are correctamundo. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, AND TOLD THE TRUTH! And felt like a dumbass to boot.

Comment

I think your in deep doo doo either way. Around here you need a transportation tag on the deer, either yours or your sons'. If there's no tag because of a persons ignorance then you better 'fess up because the wardens going to now think you've been poaching especially since your son is mysteriously absent. Yep, your in deep doo doo.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad