Strange users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange users

No, I don't mean those of us who are kinda weird. I mean these strange usernames showing up lately. We already know that some of them, person or otherwise, are just posting repeats of someone else's post. But what about these eight or nine-year-old posts that are suddenly resurfacing with a recent reply. Are those legit? And somebody said something recently about not believing that some of our regulars are really the same guys as before? What's going on with all this?

I don’t think the old post replies are legit, they don’t generally have much substance to them. The responses they generate afterwards are what baffles me, what’s the point? I also wonder if the Admin is paying attention.
    Gotta give the Packers and Movers crew credit, they’re dedicated if nothing else.

Comment

Lots of robots posting also I see a lot more spam being posted. I’m guessing some are legit and are new members. The post that get me are the ones who says guest by it. How are they getting by with out signing in.

Comment

I don't think someone can use an old screen name and sign in.
        Administrator is absent - sent a few things with no reply. Also have not heard from Natalie in a long time.
        Big jumps in guests are because the magazines are running a contest or giving free stuff away.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
          No, I don't mean those of us who are kinda weird. I mean these strange usernames showing up lately. We already know that some of them, person or otherwise, are just posting repeats of someone else's post. But what about these eight or nine-year-old posts that are suddenly resurfacing with a recent reply. Are those legit? And somebody said something recently about not believing that some of our regulars are really the same guys as before? What's going on with all this?
          Matt, speaking of ‘someone’ only posting repeats ( or portions of) previous posts, I sent a message to Admin. some time back regarding that issue, but never received a reply concerning it. But the big question is, what would be the purpose of doing it ? It makes no sense !

Comment

Sl, in answer to your question about ‘guests’ and how they are signing in, when I had trouble with my account after being a member since 2015, and until that problem was taken care of, all my posts of the past were identified as ‘guest’ and my original username was erased. So, do whatever you can to make sure your account does not run into problems ! I know of no other way a ‘guest’ can be so named, or able to post.
            Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 10-11-2019, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
              Yeah, I've noticed that.
              It also seems that the "replies" are rewrites or a slight rewording of a previous post.
              First thing I do when checking a thread is see when the original was posted. I just don't even visit old posts.

P.S. - I think it's "bots".

Comment

Bots proly doing cut n paste. Proly digging up old topics too.

But new users doing a search might be part of the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

Matt, speaking of ‘someone’ only posting repeats ( or portions of) previous posts, I sent a message to Admin. some time back regarding that issue, but never received a reply concerning it. But the big question is, what would be the purpose of doing it ? It makes no sense !
                  The purpose is to generate traffic. Hard to sell advertising if the site is inactive. So this makes it look more active than it really is. Kinda pathetic. It's gotta be a bot. One of the ways the site could generate more activity is if the editors could make a guest appearance over here once in a while. I don't even see them responding to anything over in their blogs any more (admittedly not much activity for them to get involved in there either).

One thing I do not like seeing is the "New Topics" page filled with political drivel threads. A few here an there would be more palatable. New visitors who come here are likely to use the "New Topics" option to "get a sense" of what's going on. Not very encouraging when they see thread after thread of that unrelated nonsense. "No field and stream stuff going on here. I'm gone!" Notice that the bots are strictly picking up old outdoors threads to revive. Not the conservative propaganda crapola topics. Perhaps the bot is trying to make it at least look like traffic here is on the right track.

Comment

Honker - There is no "New Topics" option.
                    You are thinking about the "Other" topic at the bottom of the page, with 18 Field and Stream topics above it.
                    Newcomers will find lots to read up there.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                      Honker - There is no "New Topics" option.
                      You are thinking about the "Other" topic at the bottom of the page, with 18 Field and Stream topics above it.
                      Newcomers will find lots to read up there.
                      OHH is certainly correct. There is definitely a NEW TOPICS listing, and it is located just under the Forums listing, top of the page !

Comment

BHR - Look again. You only click on that when you wish to see the latest 15 topics started under all of the forums in the last two days.
                        The "political drivel" Honker complains about is all in the "Other" forum at the bottom of the page.
                        Click on "New Topics" and check it out.

Comment

BHR - Look again. You only click on that when you wish to see the latest 15 topics started under all of the forums in the last two days.
                          The "political drivel" Honker complains about is all in the "Other" forum at the bottom of the page.
                          That may very well be the issue 99 for users who are familiar with the site, but for newcomers mentioned by OHH, that situation might be different, and I think that is what he was referring to, but then that is JMO and that was why I made mention of it !

Comment

Exactly. And when you click on New Topics you'll see a page of threads that are mostly political drivel. ALL new activity shows up there, including the junk from the Other section. It's getting to the point that political drivel is dominating new activity which doesn't look very appetizing for new visitors.

Comment

I just checked, and found that of the 15 new topics, four were started in the "Other" forum and 11 were started in the fish-catchin'-coon-chasin' forums.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad