CA Forest Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Forest Fire

The CA electric company with customers in high wind locations will turn off electric when the winds blow to prevent wires from touching, giving off sparks and possibly starting a forest fire. 800,000 customers are impacted during service interruptions

The real cause...

Last edited by PigHunter; 10-09-2019, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      The CA electric company with customers in high wind locations will turn off electric when the winds blow to prevent wires from touching, giving off sparks and possibly starting a forest fire. 800,000 customers are impacted during service interruptions
      An alert just came over my phone that over 1 million people are going to be out of power because of the fires.

Comment

They are serious.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          The real cause...

Can't blame those things for trying to liven up their day.
          Last edited by MattM37; 10-09-2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Can't blame those things for trying to liven up their day.
            I was going in a plant and the wind was strong. Just as I got out of the car two wires touched right over me. Holy sheet....

Comment

Funny how the power company shut down the electricity and folks are wanting fossil fuel for backup generators and heaters. Couple days on no juice proly help keep the miles low on e vehicles.

Comment

Too bad SF doesnt loose power.

Comment

Talk about bat crap crazy!
                  The state won't allow the NFS to do controlled burns or clear dead standing timber. They wanted the forests "au natural".
                  They got "au natural" alright! It's called "Forest Fire Ashes"!)

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                    Too bad SF doesnt loose power.
                    I bought some stock in Generac yesterday.

Comment

CD2 - Here is how electric cars work:

Comment

No no no. Electricity flows out of the ground like a spring, in hippie land.

But in the rest of the world........

LOL my lab built the first power control units for GMs EV program.

Comment

When EV's were first talked about I thought they would have exchange batteries like how you can exchange propane tanks. Cars could have 2 or 3 standardized battery platform that could be exchanged for fully charged one at existing gas stations. A fork lift could remove the low slung platform and insert the new one from the side of the vehicle. Therefore a EV could travel anywhere exchanges are available. Station would then put the battery platform on charge ready for the next EV. Unfortunately the auto makers did not standardize.
                          A Tesla goes about 280miles. How do they heat the car in cold climates ?
                          Me electric is .05 per kwh so elec might sense for me. Also, I see several malls that have charging stations to top off the charge.

Comment

I'm guessing one of my retirement vehicles will be electric.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                              I'm guessing one of my retirement vehicles will be electric.
                              pighunter, I tried several times to go back and find the ad, but I wasn't able to.
                              It was an electric mountain bike. They say the NFS is ok with the electric (battery powered) bikes in the back country. Who knows, old fat cripples in the back woods!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to My fly casting suxs.
                                by Outlaw
                                I have no advice to offer, just here to commiserate. I bought a cheap fly rod this summer and practiced quite a bit. But I’m still getting tons of wind...
                                Today, 08:54 PM
                              • My fly casting suxs.
                                by RockySquirrel_2
                                Many years ago, i was pretty OK with a cheap walmart flyrod. Good enough to catch fish. I Gave it to my nephew and well i kind of drifted away from fly...
                                10-02-2019, 04:26 PM
                              • Reply to Snapshot
                                by fitch270
                                I’m taking enough for tips and hopefully meat processing, plus a bit extra just in case. I saw the type you bought OHH, but picked up a regular one...
                                Today, 08:52 PM
                              • Snapshot
                                by jhjimbo
                                What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                                I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                                Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                              • Reply to A very out of sync hunting season.
                                by Outlaw
                                This year has been going pretty well. Early duck season consisted of local woodies like usual and I’m starting to see birds moving in. The farmers had...
                                Today, 08:50 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X