Racism ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racism ??

Every other word on TV is racism. My take on racism is everybody is, to one degree or another, a racist. My empirical evidence is every where you look. Take any City in the U.S. and you will find an Italian section, Greek, Asian, Korean, Jewish, Black, Eastern Europe, Polish, Hispanic. Thing is, people like to hang with their own kind. I think those that have low esteem are the ones that don't value their own.

I remember one NYC taxi driver who admitted to "rational discrimination," when he said he would refuse to pick up three teenage black passengers trying to flag him down for a ride to the mostly-black Harlem area. But he said he would gladly pick up a black man in a business suit with a briefcase going to the same destination.

Comment

We all have our biases (likes, dislikes) which can be formed by other issues other than ‘racism’ ! But, it is much simpler for those who are not of our own thoughts to label us as racists, as that is a sure way of ending our argument of not being as named. Many of us aspire to higher standards, including morals, abiding of the law, education and common sense of social action. But, if we say anything against those who are otherwise, the immediate response is ‘racism’ ! Does that then mean we are obligated to accept whatever is of lower standards to others so as not to be racist ? Must we close our eyes and minds to much of what is happening in today’s world just to be righteous ? It takes a racist to imply that another is a racist, that being by it’s own meaning !

Comment

It seems we in the Southeast are not as hung up over it as much as some people still are in the Northern States. It's really not something I spend time thinking about. Being called a racist just because I'm a Southern white man has happened my whole life. Bring it, just water off a duck's back. I know my own thoughts and who I am and it doesn't really matter to me what others think. Most of us have moved on and coexist very well. Interracial neighborhoods and relationships are now the norm here.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          It seems we in the Southeast are not as hung up over it as much as some people still are in the Northern States. It's really not something I spend time thinking about. Being called a racist just because I'm a Southern white man has happened my whole life. Bring it, just water off a duck's back. I know my own thoughts and who I am and it doesn't really matter to me what others think. Most of us have moved on and coexist very well. Interracial neighborhoods and relationships are now the norm here.
          Get rid of the ACLU, SPLC, KKK, Sharpton and Jackson and racism would literally disappear in the south.
          I have lived, worked, led, followed and socialized with "other" races my entire life.
          the only "racial" problems I've had, they started.

Comment

I think there is a persistent racial problem that is inherent in affirmative action, and that is the practice of "reverse discrimination."
            Persons of certain minority groups are given career advancement in business and government to achieve goals (quotas), and there is a stigma attached to such advancement in the eyes of non-minority members.

Comment

Affirmative action 99, is a very good point of contention. It was originally put in place in order to allow certain groups, cultures or such to catch up. But in the 30 or so years it has been around, it appears that no one has caught up as it is still hanging around. It will never serve it’s intended purpose, but will continue to be a ‘source’ of reverse ‘racism’ ! Why should people who it was intended to help, even attempt to better themselves to catch up when affirmative action does everything for them ???

Comment

What "affirmative action" allowed was minority businesses to showcase their low class skills.
                As usual, minorities took advantage of Gov't rules.
                Ball parks, airports and malls were required to contract racial minority businesses rather than the business that provided a desirable or a high quality service.

We did some work for a legal Mexican immigrant who ran a very successful restaurant.
                When food service contracts came open at DFW airport, he was encouraged to apply. Due to "Affirmative Action", he was assured he could get a contract because he was a minority.
                "Hell no! I'm not going to be their "token" Mexican!"

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  What "affirmative action" allowed was minority businesses to showcase their low class skills.
                  As usual, minorities took advantage of Gov't rules.
                  Ball parks, airports and malls were required to contract racial minority businesses rather than the business that provided a desirable or a high quality service.

We did some work for a legal Mexican immigrant who ran a very successful restaurant.
                  When food service contracts came open at DFW airport, he was encouraged to apply. Due to "Affirmative Action", he was assured he could get a contract because he was a minority.
                  "Hell no! I'm not going to be their "token" Mexican!"
                  I could not compete with minority small businesses or Female owned business when dealing with any Government agency. Sometimes the Government actually paid more to do business with them.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I could not compete with minority small businesses or Female owned business when dealing with any Government agency. Sometimes the Government actually paid more to do business with them.
                    There is a big trucking company that moves construction materials (fill dirt, rock, gravel, etc) near Rhome, Texas.
                    They probably move 75% of materials in the area.
                    When a big contract became imminent, the owner opened a trucking business in his daughters name and applied as a minority business.
                    Of course, SHE (?) got the contract.

If you're ever driving across North Texas along the U.S. Hwy 114 corridor, watch out for the yellow Peterbilt rock haulers.
                    They have probably killed and injured more drivers in that area than any other company.

Comment

There was a story in the NYC news a few years ago about a black police patrolman who turned down a promotion to sergeant because his score on the sergeant's exam was lower than some of the white patrolmen who took the exam.
                      It seems there were two "lists" that the sergeants were picked from, a minority list and "all others."
                      The black patrolman did not wish to have the stigma of minority preference attached to his promotion.
                      Good for him.

Comment

Was it Frank Robinson? The black baseball manager who was asked if he thought it was progress against racism that a black baseball manager had been hired. He replied, something like, "Well, yes, but it'll be REAL progress against racism when a black manager is actually FIRED." i.e. truly equal treatment. Many people crying "racism!" all the time today just can't see that clearly.

Entire value systems are changing. You hear about race, class, and gender all the time now because "good" and "bad" are being redefined, slowly but surely, in both the education system and the public consciousness. How things fit into such antique things as The Golden Rule and Christianity-based ethics is fading in importance. How things apply to racism, sexism, etc. are gaining in importance. For one small, simple example: How many movies get rave reviews, if they condemn racism or homophobia, even if they're horribly written, produced, acted, etc. ? That's just show biz, I know, but it's spread across much of our culture. I'm around college students and college professors all the time. Whether or not something is racist or homophobic, or discriminatory in some way, is the primary factor, the watchword.

In itself, as part of a more complete value system and way of life, a good thing. When it blinds people to other considerations and becomes the whole value system, not at all a good thing.

Sorry to preach. Just happens to be something I was thinking about earlier today.

Last edited by MattM37; 09-16-2019, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

There is a big trucking company that moves construction materials (fill dirt, rock, gravel, etc) near Rhome, Texas.
                          They probably move 75% of materials in the area.
                          When a big contract became imminent, the owner opened a trucking business in his daughters name and applied as a minority business.
                          Of course, SHE (?) got the contract.

If you're ever driving across North Texas along the U.S. Hwy 114 corridor, watch out for the yellow Peterbilt rock haulers.
                          They have probably killed and injured more drivers in that area than any other company.
                          What are you saying ? They don't know how to drive ?

Comment

I used to hire a few part timers. Could not compete with the Post Office. But, if they covered for a vacation and came back from the route too early they would get hollered at.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

What are you saying ? They don't know how to drive ?
                              jimbo, there were probably 300(+/-) trucks. They were paid $XX per load.
                              The more loads delivered, the bigger the paycheck.
                              Those guys drove like maniacs trying to deliver just "one more load"!
                              I don't know that they were "bad" drivers, there were just so many of them and they were so hell bent on the next load.
                              Not only that, U.S. Hwy 114 is one of the most congested thoroughfares that served the north side of the DFW metromess and DFW airport.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
                                by 99explorer
                                Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
                                When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
                                Today, 07:29 PM
                              • Give them all they need ...
                                by jhjimbo
                                I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
                                10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
                              • Reply to Snapshot
                                by FirstBubba
                                Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
                                I've never carried over about $1500.
                                Today, 07:27 PM
                              • Snapshot
                                by jhjimbo
                                What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                                I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                                Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                              • Reply to Snapshot
                                by PigHunter
                                "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
                                Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X