Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I was taking hunter's saftey a couple of years ago I was told by my instructor that you shouldn't wash your game meat in a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I was taking hunter's saftey a couple of years ago I was told by my instructor that you shouldn't wash your game meat in a

When I was taking hunter's saftey a couple of years ago I was told by my instructor that you shouldn't wash your game meat in a creek. I thought you could as long as it is running and it is cold. What do you think.

I would never do that. You have no idea what contaminants could be in it. You wouldn't drink it would you?

Comment

Water and meat is a bad thing. Keep it as clean and dry as possible until you get it to the processor or start processing it yourself.

Comment

i agree with Jim and Sharkfin, don't wash your meat in the creek.

Comment

Use water from your water bottle or hydration bladder(sparingly). I would skin out the Buck, Bull or Ram first, then quarter and break it down on the hide it lies on. Then wrap the quarters, backstraps in cheese cloth or game bags and hang in the meat in tree limbs out of the sun to cool.

Comment

As has been said.....you are supposed to keep the meat as dry as possible. If you have to use a little water its OK but you should wipe the water away when your done cleaning it.

Comment

The water promotes bacterial growth and it may be contaminated with waste from upstream. Keep your game dry. Use the water to wash your hands (would you then put your wet fingers in your mouth?)
              No matter what else you may want to do, the most important thing is to cool the meat as fast as you can.

Comment

I only wash it with creek water after letting the creek water dry. As we used to joke, it only takes one cow to make a creek into a crick.

Comment

Yeah, not a good idea, do your best to keep the meat clean while your breaking the animal down, then keep it in a cool dry place. Not only do you not know whats in the water, but wet meat can atracked flies and other bugs.

Comment

you never know what could be in that water.

Comment

I wouldnt do it, just because it would be very unclean, no matter how fast or cold.

Comment

I...wouldn't recommend it... but it your lost and trying to survive it might work.

Comment

you know what just make sure salt isnt all around the edge of the creek if u want to live

Comment

Girrardia? Diarrhea? However you spell those two. I wouldn't do it unless I was in survival mode.

Comment

If you do that make sure there is extra toilet paper! And find a caution sign for the door.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad