Do We Want Red Flags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do We Want Red Flags?

I have been thinking about Red Flags, the taking of firearms from someone deemed a threat to themselves or society.

I don't think we should go that way. We want something that will intercede before an act of violence but I don't think the Red Flag is the way.

First I think it would be fraught with all kinds of abuse.

Second, a person bent on carnage and prohibited from getting a firearm will resort to things like bombs (instructions are all over the internet) , poison, speeding trucks (truck mowed down people on bike path NYC) , fire or all sorts of means to carry out their act. Do we really want a situation like Afghanistan (63 dead at a wedding), France, U.K (about ready to make knives illegal). How can you prevent someone like the turd in Sandy Hook from killing his Mother to steal her legally owned firearm ?

There might be a way to prevent shooting with armed guards(and plain clothes) and teachers in schools, armed security at locations where large crowds gather, etc. Not Red Flags.

What changed your mind, jimbo?

No, "red flag laws" and RPO's (Risk Protection Order) ARE NOT the answer.
    Just last week, something like 5 or 6 people were arrested for making stupid statements.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      I have been thinking about Red Flags, the taking of firearms from someone deemed a threat to themselves or society.

I don't think we should go that way. We want something that will intercede before an act of violence but I don't think the Red Flag is the way.

First I think it would be fraught with all kinds of abuse.

Second, a person bent on carnage and prohibited from getting a firearm will resort to things like bombs (instructions are all over the internet) , poison, speeding trucks (truck mowed down people on bike path NYC) , fire or all sorts of means to carry out their act. Do we really want a situation like Afghanistan (63 dead at a wedding), France, U.K (about ready to make knives illegal). How can you prevent someone like the turd in Sandy Hook from killing his Mother to steal her legally owned firearm ?

There might be a way to prevent shooting with armed guards(and plain clothes) and teachers in schools, armed security at locations where large crowds gather, etc. Not Red Flags.
      How very true, yet so many continue to deny it.

Comment

We in Florida all ready have a semi-red flag law it's a Baker Act(10-56) a person is held for 36 hr, in a syke ward. It's better then a RED FLAG Law.....Our New Gov. changed the 21yr/o back to 18yro to buy firearms Not Hand Guns.........

Comment

Our sherif, (county as big as some states) said he'd go to jail rather than enforce our red flag laws. That said I'd rather he and the deputy sherifs were very involved in the implementation and that they were also funded to do so complete with review, a way to appeal, safe storage of said firearms, etc. I have lots of faith in our county law enforcement, more faith than in our locals or state, and much more so than some judge.

The high school has two local police there full time. The high school now has 2K kids, town has doubled every seven years or so. Because law enforcement has so much experience dealing with out of kilter people and BS artists and also frankly some real sleazeballs, I have more faith in them than social workers, school counselors, etc.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
            by 99explorer
            Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
            When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
            Today, 07:29 PM
          • Give them all they need ...
            by jhjimbo
            I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
            10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
          • Reply to Snapshot
            by FirstBubba
            Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
            I've never carried over about $1500.
            Today, 07:27 PM
          • Snapshot
            by jhjimbo
            What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
            I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
            Yesterday, 04:28 PM
          • Reply to Snapshot
            by PigHunter
            "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
            Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X