What Can It Do ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Can It Do ?

I don't know about you but I am always interested in what a particular firearm and ammo combo can do accuracy wise. I will put up some targets from today for those interested. Today was ruger Mini-30 7.69X39, Yugo SKS, Browning Challenger .22lr and Ruger Blackhawk .357Mag. downloaded to about 960fps) Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0390.JPG Views:	0 Size:	33.9 KB ID:	712770Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0392.JPG Views:	0 Size:	31.6 KB ID:	712771Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0395.JPG Views:	0 Size:	40.1 KB ID:	712772 Anyone who has some good firearm/ammo combo's put up some targets. Jim
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 08-23-2019, 07:16 PM.

Jimbo, I haven't been to the range lately but you are inspiring me to do so. Here's a couple of targets from my Dad's old squirrel rifle...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Winchester Model 74 25 Yards.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.9 KB ID:	712780Click image for larger version  Name:	Winchester Model 74 50 Yards.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	712781

Click image for larger version  Name:	Winchester Model 74 with Weaver K4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	712782
    Winchester Model 74 with Weaver K4 scope.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      Jimbo, I haven't been to the range lately but you are inspiring me to do so. Here's a couple of targets from my Dad's old squirrel rifle...
      Click image for larger version Name:	Winchester Model 74 25 Yards.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.9 KB ID:	712780Click image for larger version Name:	Winchester Model 74 50 Yards.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	712781

Click image for larger version Name:	Winchester Model 74 with Weaver K4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	712782
      Winchester Model 74 with Weaver K4 scope.
      I am happy with all results but I think I can improve on a few. I am going to start to reload for the SKS and Ruger Mini-30 so I think I can reduce those groups some. I was shooting Federal ammo in my Browning Challenger and it never did shoot good for me - also, several duds today. My all time best accuracy in the Challenger is Remington Standard Velocity (Green plastic box) On a pistol team I shot a 298 out of 300 with that pistol and ammo combo. Also, use that combination for squirrel hunting - head shots only.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	94AFCEBA-FF23-4F01-91F2-9B1CCCD2E6A9.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	712788 Posted this in another thread a couple weeks ago. The golf tees are plugging the holes in the boy’s first three shots ever at 200 yards. Rem 700 Mtn Rifle in 7mm-08 with factory Barnes Vor-tx 120’s. First time for those rounds through the gun as well. The bull is 2 or 2 1/2” in diameter so that group is around 1moa or so. Not bad shooting for a 15 year old kid.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I am happy with all results but I think I can improve on a few. I am going to start to reload for the SKS and Ruger Mini-30 so I think I can reduce those groups some. I was shooting Federal ammo in my Browning Challenger and it never did shoot good for me - also, several duds today. My all time best accuracy in the Challenger is Remington Standard Velocity (Green plastic box) On a pistol team I shot a 298 out of 300 with that pistol and ammo combo. Also, use that combination for squirrel hunting - head shots only.
          Jim, about 20 years ago, there was a fellow at our range shooting high-power matches with an SKS. I believe he was using .32 ACP bullets to get better accuracy... I remember he also modified the trigger and did some other modifications.

When I had one, I never could get the accuracy I wanted with the mil-surplus ammo. Never tried handloads.

Comment

The best shooting SKS was a norinco in7.62X39 with Federal 120grpsp BIG clover leafs 2.5" @ 100yd....my 1953 K-47 scope same ammo 5 rounds inside of a silver dollar @ 100yd.

Comment

Back when I had the SKS, it rode behind my truck seat and I had a paper bag with ten 10-round stripper clips. It was minute of bad guy accurate to 100 yards and I even took it on a few deer hunts. But I never shot at a deer with the rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Jim, about 20 years ago, there was a fellow at our range shooting high-power matches with an SKS. I believe he was using .32 ACP bullets to get better accuracy... I remember he also modified the trigger and did some other modifications.

When I had one, I never could get the accuracy I wanted with the mil-surplus ammo. Never tried handloads.
                I am happy with the SKS so far. Also, the Ruger Mini-30 is doing o.k. I did have problems with the function of both the other day. The SKS would not unlock without tapping the bold handle. The Ruger would not strip the first round off a 5rd magazine without a push by me on the bolt handle. I was shooting Hornady steel case lacquer finished shells.

Comment

Well, as you probably guessed, lacquered finished cases could be your problem with sticking. I don't like using them even in the Mosin Nagant because they can stick in the chamber. Maybe that's what's happening when the Ruger's mag spring is at it's highest tension. The case static friction could be higher than that of just plain brass.

As for the SKS, you could have a slightly tight chamber or the ammo could be slightly out of spec. But it's probably the case coating.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
                    by 99explorer
                    Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
                    When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
                    Today, 07:29 PM
                  • Give them all they need ...
                    by jhjimbo
                    I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
                    10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
                  • Reply to Snapshot
                    by FirstBubba
                    Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
                    I've never carried over about $1500.
                    Today, 07:27 PM
                  • Snapshot
                    by jhjimbo
                    What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                    I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                    Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                  • Reply to Snapshot
                    by PigHunter
                    "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
                    Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X